Where can the Coby Kyros (Gen 1) be Purchased? Price trends?

grey

Feb 3, 2011
Got one yesterday at Shopko for 149.99. Kmart didn't have any. If there would be set release date for new models maybe I would've waited, but for my purposes it would work. If anything I will upgrade.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Hold out? I got my MID7015-4G in mid December and am still playing with it and learning more. It's my first Android so there is much to learn. From this experience I know much more than I could have learned reading in forums without a tablet. I've found 50 apps that I kept, 100s I tossed. Reinstalled the system a few times, Market on Market off.

The electronic equipment you buy today is yesterday's equipment before you can get it out of the box. If you want to wait forever you can always read about how much improved tomorrow's unit is compared to today's unit.

I want my next tablet to be Ubuntu, not Android though. I think tablets are good enough for a computer OS, not just a phone OS. Ubuntu tablets are starting to be seen in the blog-o-sphere. I'll have fun with this tablet in the mean time, maybe a couple of years of fun.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
From what I have gathered around the web but nothing offical from Coby...maybe follow their twitter feed or what I did was request to be notified when the unit is in stock from this seller which seemed to have the best price I could find.

COBY Electronics MID8025-4G - 8" MID w/Android OS 4GB

Thanks for the info. If it's March, it may be worth the wait instead of picking up a 7015 at the end of this month.

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
I have other android devices so it's probably easier and blindly vain for me to say "wait for the new models". I returned my 7015 primarily based on my own personal experience and preference. I am sure many folks are going to get or have had many many hours of enjoyment out of one so if you want one, go get one...you can't beat the price! :cool:

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for the info. If it's March, it may be worth the wait instead of picking up a 7015 at the end of this month.

I emailed eXpansys, Inc. about when they projected to have the new Coby Tablets in stock (as well as to confirm RAM size). This was the reply:

These units are due in April. The ram should be confirmed shortly.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]eXpansys Inc [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
DDI: +1 309 834 0325
Office: +1 309 834 0323[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
Web:
http://www.expansys-usa.com <Smartphone, Netbook, Laptop and Accessory Store - eXpansys Inc> [/FONT]

grey

Feb 3, 2011
Yeah, if April and I think with initial pricing hype I might as well enjoy the thing

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, if April and I think with initial pricing hype I might as well enjoy the thing

I agree. Going to go head and pick up a Kryos 7015 this month and have fun with it. Definitely excited to do the root after seeing the video on YouTube.

grey

Feb 3, 2011
It's on sale everywhere now. I did it using YouTube video as a guide. There's some missed lines like how to get terminal emulator but in the end it all worked out. Yes there's no flash support but for the price I have few complaints.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
It's on sale everywhere now. I did it using YouTube video as a guide. There's some missed lines like how to get terminal emulator but in the end it all worked out. Yes there's no flash support but for the price I have few complaints.

Going to try to see if any of my local Kmarts have it for $139. If not, I am going to order it from Walmart for $148.

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
Here is a link to getting it to connect to ad-hoc type wifi networks i.e. tethering to an android phone with 3g internet.
(must be rooted and use a command line editor or terminal program)

Ad hoc network?

Last edited:

clu

Feb 10, 2011
is there any way to get these to stream movies from a shared network location? Do they play DIVX files?