Wifi will not stay on

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
My Disgo shows ethernet as an option in the menu (and it was on by default) but I have it switched off as the disgo doesn't have (unless its internal) an ethernet port. I'll try again tonight but not holding up much hope. Anything I can do to monitor what its doing? i.e Run on command line etc?

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
For what it's worth, mine gets stuck checking for updates when I have it on Ethernet... it only worked when I was on WIFI for some reason. I assumed having it on Ethernet would be better & more stable, but apparently someone who threw this thing together did not agree.
I'm a little confused by this. The other day I did nick the usb -> ethernet adapter out the back of my kids Nintendo Wii (bad parent!) in the hope that I could connect via a cat5 cable. Like cheesemp says, for me also the ethernet setting is on in the menus, so I hoped this would work. No joy.
So what did you use to hardwire your unit to your network.

tfurrows

Jun 15, 2011
Sorry, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have a SYTAB10MT which does have an eth port, but I didn't mention that again in my last post. I didn't realize yours didn't have one.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
That's my current understanding based on various reports posted. Users that have never automatically updated (Over The Air "OTA") but did successfully manually update, can do a factory reset "three finger method" but the mtd2 "resv" partition is blank (filled with padding). This is leading to the assumption, based on the visual inspection of the NAND flash image U0 "u-boot-nand.bin", that a zSYS.img is saved somewhere allowing the recovery back to the last burned update. More details are in the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/13447-custom-sylvania-rom-development.html thread. Again, another Work In Progress.
For clarity, are you therefore saying that as cheesemp and I have never been able to get the unit upgraded via the OTA upgrader, and since we have 2.2 preloaded on the unit OOTB, plus we have an empty/padded recovery partition, we are therefore unable to do the 3-finger factory reset? (well,without a lot of knife'n'forking as per instructions from this forum).

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
For clarity, are you therefore saying that as cheesemp and I have never been able to get the unit upgraded via the OTA upgrader, and since we have 2.2 preloaded on the unit OOTB, plus we have an empty/padded recovery partition, we are therefore unable to do the 3-finger factory reset? (well,without a lot of knife'n'forking as per instructions from this forum).
meggiedude, I cannot absolutely confirm but you SHOULD be able to do a factory reset (three finger method) and I thought you already had before manually updating. We now think if the update is manually burned it should also save zSYS.img somewhere which we believe is the restore image.

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
I've tried the three finger reset on my unit but it never registers. Is it something you can do with a usb keyboard?

Edit: Responding as I'm guessing MeggieDude will be the same.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I've tried the three finger reset on my unit but it never registers. Is it something you can do with a usb keyboard?

Edit: Responding as I'm guessing MeggieDude will be the same.
Based on the steps/pictures in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/6437-apply-factory-reset-step-step-images.html can you describe how your device responds? Again, with the Disgo and how they have seemed to mix/match the firmware I wouldn't be surprised that it functions differently or not at all.

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
If I hold the screen (with pressure) and the two buttons and nothing changes on boot. I get the infotmic screen, A linux penguin with flashing cursor appears then a disgo image, then finally a android 2.2 movie appears and the tablet loads as normal. Thats no different to doing nothing. I can dig through the linux boot scripts if it helps (i've customized redhat linux enough in the past so I assuming I can figure out the android boot sequence).

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
If I hold the screen (with pressure) and the two buttons and nothing changes on boot. I get the infotmic screen, A linux penguin with flashing cursor appears then a disgo image, then finally a android 2.2 movie appears and the tablet loads as normal. Thats no different to doing nothing. I can dig through the linux boot scripts if it helps (i've customized redhat linux enough in the past so I assuming I can figure out the android boot sequence).
Here's one of the alternate methods to get the to factory reset. Would you mind attempting this approach?
The other method found by Bigwooly goes like this:

"to restore to default rom (recovery mode)
with device off

push power turn on as normal

Once you see the infotmic logo press and hold power and menu

When you see white text On the screen release power and menu

You will see a message the says something along the lines of "to boot in recovery press the require keys"

Press power and menu again and it will reflash the most recent manufacturer update you downloaded."
Again, I'm guessing it's based on the old hardware of the disgo and mixed/matched firmware.

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
Thats really odd. If I do the steps you state the tablet boot as normal up until I let go of the buttons (either at disgo logo or full boot) and then the device switches off. I've connected an old usb micro keyboard I had for an old media pc and I've had a quick look at the init.d and theres not much of interest in it (except for the odd funny comment like #added by bob).

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I have never had any luck with the 3-finger method on my 7" tablet.

Last edited:

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
I've had some fun looking about the linux subsystem and it looks like I have gps and bluetooth drivers which I guess is just standard Android. Is there anything useful I can look at or have I given you everything of use?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I've had some fun looking about the linux subsystem and it looks like I have gps and bluetooth drivers which I guess is just standard Android. Is there anything useful I can look at or have I given you everything of use?
This is getting frustrating! What did Disgo do? Before we mess with their mixed up configuration of images can you provide either a screen shot or a detailed listing of the following including size, owner, group, permissions, date?

/system/lib/modules

Code:
galcore.ko
rt2070sta.ko

/system/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
Code:
RT2870STA.dat

/system/etc/firmware

Code:
rt2870.bin

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
This is getting frustrating! What did Disgo do? Before we mess with their mixed up configuration of images can you provide either a screen shot or a detailed listing of the following including size, owner, group, permissions, date?

/system/lib/modules

Code:
galcore.ko
rt2070sta.ko

/system/etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
Code:
RT2870STA.dat

/system/etc/firmware

Code:
rt2870.bin

Uploaded pics here.
Tablet pics - a set on Flickr

PLease note I am using the new firmware/rt2870.bin file so the orig on is also in that directory (.bak file). Please also note I have also frigged the permissions of that bin file and the parent directory (drwxrwxrwx) in a wasted attempt to get this all working.
build.prop is also in there as I got a bit carried away.

Hope this helps

Adieu

cheesemp

Jun 25, 2011
Just to cover the differences between my unit with original drivers etc and meggiedude:
RT2870STA.dat - mine has a date 2011-03-18, The size is the same: 1.07kb
rt2870.bin -rw-r--r-- 2011-03-18

I can't figure out how to get AndRootFile to show file ownership but if you like I'll get them by terminal if necessary.