Wits A81E or Herotab X5A

lvfd404

Oct 12, 2010
I have been lurking the forums for a while now, trying to gather all the info in order to get the best tablet. First I'd like to say this forum is loaded with very knowledgeable members and I thank you all.
I believe I have narrowed my selection between the a81e and the x5a but have a question and wanted to seek further information.
From what I gather the a81e does not Have an HDMI out, I teach classes and feel a way to hook up to a TV or projector can really help me get the most from my tablet experience. The x5a does have HDMI out but really haven't found any reviews. I would hate to risk performance and smooth operation for the HDMI out. Any info and input is greatly appreciated. 2.1 and 2.2 is fine as operating systems. I like option to change batteries on the wits. I guess ill have to learn to live with whatever option I choose.
Thank you in advance.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, Do not ask me why. I now have both. I do not have the latest X5A. It is an August build of a Herotab RK7 X5A. I have only had the Herotab a week.

My A81-E has the Adeptus Build 3 of 2.2 with out a GPS. The Herotab is a default build. I could care less about the HDMI so do not ask me about it.
Screen Video Quality -I would defer to the Herotab at the moment. But that is I think is due to the the brightness control is a bit better on the A81-E
General Speed- Hands down at this time the A81-E
WIFI Sensitivity - I think it is the A81-E but it is a toss-up
Flash- A81-E obviously
General ease of use (Touch Sensitivity)- Not sure why but I like the Herotab
Annoyances - Herotab - the Case, I would prefer a Kickstand. A81-E - Power Button and the stupid rubber SD cover. It seems like I have to hold the power button down forever and I finally pulled the Rubber cover off
Best Feature - Herotab the full size USB and slot placement, A81-E - Removable Battery

Other owners may have different opinions. But this is mine I have had my A81 Since late August and the Herotab only a week.
Note: I do not care if I have a G-Sensor or not.

Enjoy

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Oh I did not mention which one I would pick up for a trip. It would be the A81-E. The unit fits into a Pocket. The Case/Cover of the Herotab requires it to be tucked away some where I cannot jut get to it.

lvfd404

Oct 12, 2010
Gurgle thank you for the info. I aprreciate it very much. I almost pulled the trigger on the a81e but something held me back. I read some more on the forums and am thinking I should wait just a little while longer. Several people talk about some great tablets coming out in the next 30-45 days. I am kind of curious what people are waiting for? What tablet coming out in that timeframe is the apple of their eye? Do any of them have definate release dates?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The A81-E has so much going for it, but there are just things that make it an almost. The motherboard (circuitboard) have many features not installed. As an example
No Microphone, Only one USB Port although indication and cut out for two, No reset button. I would still have bought the A81-E back in August. Now, I would likely buy the Archos.(Pre-Ordered, but still waiting) or one of the new Haipad/Herotabs (which have not come out).

If I were looking, I would avoid any device available for sale currently. This is only my opinion. But you will be envious of any unit new on the market around Christmas.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab will be in the $200 range by then (with a plan) and the WiFi only multi-core processsor Slates will be out about the same time but will be more. ($370-500USD)

I may be totally off, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.

1jod

Oct 14, 2010
I am also in the market for andriod tablet and have been doing some research. Is the WITS A18E the only android tablet available with 2.2 and or flash 10.1? The reason i am asking is because i want a tablet with "full" web experience. Are there any tabs that have been rooted and have android 2.2 working?

lvfd404

Oct 12, 2010
As it stands right now, I think the Archos 101 or 70 is going to be my tablet choice. Of course this depends on the release. Looking at my needs, costs and tablets supposedly coming out soon, I'm having a hard time looking past the Archos.

jtshop

Oct 6, 2010
a81 is not the only a8 tablet now , there is freescale imx515 mid which support flash and g-sensor

nestoloco

Oct 16, 2010
I was debating with getting a Wits because of the GPS functionality 2.2 and battery. I ended up getting a Apad (I think that's what is called) from eBay I still haven't got it. But by the pictures only the Apad looks way better ( more Ipad like). The wits looks like a huge Gps device built in 2002. But it does look more solid as far as the speed and UI. The apad has 2.2, mic and built in camera

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
I simply wish the A81 had a gsensor and HDMI output. I think if it did, it would be flying off the shelves, literally.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Unfortunately, No
The A81-E has the capability for SVGA output, Microphone, G-Sensor, second full size USB and a few other interesting sockets on the board. Unfortunately the HW builders did not include these. I can only assume these were removed to save cost. I do not see the G-Sensor as a must-Have. I can live with the Rotatel/RotateP apps. But I really wish there was a Microphone. I have gotten my Motorola BT to recognize be recognized as a microphone, but that is I think due to the ADEPTUS FW rather than the factory FW build

BTW: There is a new Firmware which was released about 4-5 days ago by WITstech. Still misses some core elements and seems to run slower on some units.

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
I really wonder why the A81 doesn't have a g-sensor - in any of the re-branded versions. I say it's only a must have if you're a reader or something. I'm just so having everything in portrait view (phones, ipods, etc).

toogeeky4u

Oct 23, 2010
I was just considering the A81 today until I read here that it has no microphone. That's just such a basic feature that really needs to be there, I naturally assumed it would be there so I didn't even think to check. That's a deal breaker for me. I need to do quick voice memos to myself, as well as be able to do VOIP calls. (Please tell me the Archos 43 and 70 will support this.)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Like there poor historic PMPs before them. The Archos do have Microphones and the 70 has a camera
70 Tech information - ARCHOS
43 Tech information - ARCHOS

The 43 is closer to their PMP brethern with only a Microphone

toogeeky4u

Oct 23, 2010
Like there poor historic PMPs before them. The Archos do have Microphones and the 70 has a camera
70 Tech information - ARCHOS
43 Tech information - ARCHOS

Can't the 43 also take pictures and video? I'm a bit puzzled by their specs... for the 70, it says "Webcam: Yes" and "Front VGA Camera", while the 43 just says "HD Camcorder". What??