WITS A81E+ Screen Issue

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Just got two of the above devices. One of them has a dead area in the top right of the screen. For instance in the market the search button doesn't work. Can this be fixed by re-calibrating?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can try calibration. But what you describe sometimes indicates a sensitivity loss. You would be wise to contact with the vendor. They may suggest Firmware redo. But calibration would always be the first thing to try.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Gurgle, thanks. Is there an app for screen calibration? Can't see it in the settings menu.

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Gurgle, found the calibration test. Fails at step 2 because the target moves to the top right of the screen. How easy is it to re-apply the firmware?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The firmware is actually very easy to apply or update. Keep in mind,any re-application will lose any applications you have installed. There is a whole sub-forum on A81-E firmware at Slatedroid. Or you can go directly to WITStech site in China to download the original to latest firmware.
This YouTube Vid is older but accurate into howto
The link for direct firmware download is: (Google Translated)
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://bbs.witstech.com.cn/dispbbs.asp%3Fboardid%3D10%26Id%3D3104&ei=zTACTbfLLYH78Aad7a3nAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFwQ7gEwCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwitstech%2Ba81%2Bfirmware%2B1102%26hl %3Den%26biw%3D1163%26bih%3D568%26prmd%3Div
The most important elements are you must use HPFlash utility, Load the files on the MicroSD card in the order stated, and read and make sure you follow the directions.

Before you attempt a FW flash. Reattempt Calibration. You may want to contact your vendor and describe the problem. Some vendors for the A81 are very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Gurgle, thanks again for your time and help. I've downloaded the latest firmware from the WITS site (comes in 2 parts, not sure why as the RAR's seem to contain the same files). I'm now waiting for a response my supplier before proceeding. I've also sent an email direct to WITS.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The two rars are actually just one. They split the package to ease it for those with bandwidth issues.

Sako7STW

Nov 30, 2010
I ordered one of these and just wanted to clarify, you are only having problems with one and not the other? Are you doing the updates on both or just the one with the problems?

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
I ordered one of these and just wanted to clarify, you are only having problems with one and not the other? Are you doing the updates on both or just the one with the problems?

I'm only having a problem with one of the devices. It is only a small issue. As you move toward the right of the screen the calibration gets more out of sync. When the keyboard pops up if you press "p" toward the left of the button it registers "o". The search box in the Market app in the top right hand corner is almost useless. I found that it works only if you press the extreme right of the screen next to the plastic case. My supplier haven't given me a definitive answer as yet.
I think I'm going to flash the firmware with this newer version as I have an A81E+... http://www.gadgetsandtablets.com/Firmware/Witstech/Android_0831_2.2_BT_USB_CMO.rar
Here is another video describing the process...

All the files are also available from WITS... http://www.witstech.com.cn/download_en.html

I am just a bit hesitant flashing the ROM. I got these devices for my sons for Christmas and if anything goes wrong I won't have time to get a replacement back.

Last edited by a moderator:

adcliff

Nov 23, 2010
Just curious how everything turned out???

Last night I ran through the built-in calibration test again after following advice from my supplier. When the target appeared in the problem area I kept tapping the screen further away from the target until it registered the input. After completing the calibration I rebooted as instructed and the problem has been solved. Didn't think the calibration would work when you can't select the centre of the target but it did.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Do a search and you will quickly discover Dual-Boot is not possible. Never delivered Vapor. Can do CE OR Android, NOT dual