youtube quality for 1.6 (800 x 480)

je_accuse

Dec 3, 2010
hello there,

I've got a budget flytouch that runs at
Screen Resolution: 800*480
CPU Processor: WM8505+ (400MHz)

- it came with a youtube videos app that works fine as such, but appears to play only at a lower quality, probably 240p, not even 360p. Doesn't seem to reach anywhere close to 800x480. Am I wrong somewhere or is this how it's supposed to work?

je_accuse

Dec 3, 2010
I see nobody knew what I was talking about. :)

Let me ask something else then. Which is the best youtube app out there? Can you change the quality of the video as you do on the website proper?

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
If im not mistaken, the only youtube application is the one that comes with the tablet. HD video on youtube is only supported for OS 2.0+

je_accuse

Dec 3, 2010
No, it's not rooted, I think... I believe you mean if I put on it a custom OS? No. I have the original firmware.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Rooting is different than flashing your OS. Rooting basically means you have given yourself full administrative rights to your device (as opposed to the manufacturer or service provider). Adding a custom OS or changing the OS is called Flashing. You have to Root in order to Flash, but Rooting gives you a ton of other additional functions as well.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Sorry, in answer to your original question. Unless your device has Android 2.0.1 or higher for Android version Low resolution YouTube is a known limitation for Android 1.6 or 1.5. This is one of the dirty little secrets not told by some vendors. It may play YouTube, but will be low resolution. It is similar to some vendors loading Market on a Tablet without making it functional due to licensing and compatibility issues.

je_accuse

Dec 3, 2010
@pbrauer : thanks for the clarifications, I'm new to this

@gurgle : OK man, thanks for revealing the dirty secret. Oh, I guess I'll live as it is, no worries.

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
Try using zroot to root your tablet and then install the hd youtube player. Let me go grab the APK for you. I had it installed on my moment before it got the 2.1 update.

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
Use root explorer to backup the youtube application that you have now. After you backup the youtube apk. then you can delete it. Restart your tablet then go to settings- applications- manage applications and delete the com.google.youtube (or something like that) and then try installing this youtube. YouTubehq (2).apk . If it doesnt work, just reinstall the youtube.apk that you backed up.

je_accuse

Dec 3, 2010
fantastic man, i'll try - I found a root_explorer_apk, but no zroot as yet, could you upload that for me too please?

and something else, i hope it's safe to use it...