[YouTube Video] Viewsonic gTablet with Flashback-Honeycomb - Alpha 5.4 by tlbardelljr

mydave

Mar 21, 2011

Ref:
[ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb - Alpha 5.4 (7/10/11) [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

A great HC Alpha rom, but a lousy video as usual.

Features
- YouTube App (All videos play fullscreen)
- External SDcard access
- PC Mounting
- Overclocking
- Flash Browsing (using opera)
- Flash Apps
- Web rendering apps
- adhoc support

My Installation: Was from another 1.2 bl rom. Used CWM to wipe before and after flashing. May need to do the market fix to install apps from Market.

Dave,

Edit: Very clumsy & silly of me. I should explain what is on the video without being asked.

00:00 - 00:02 the main page. It has the live landscape wallpaper. The bottom dock can contain about 8 icons. The default screen density is 120 which makes icons and texts very sharp, but smallist to my eyes. I can increase the density to 130. At 140, some icons got cut off.
00:02 - 00:15 showed the two pages on the left site of the main screen. First page on the left is reserved for news & communication stuff. 2nd page on the left is for reading and apps.
00:15 - 00:42 Barnes & Nobles for Android app on 2nd page on the left side of main screen.
00:42 - 02:51 UPnPlay accessed our WHS media server and used Rock Player to stream 720p.x254 BluRay ripped.
02:51 - 03:59 2nd page of the left. Fox News and NY Times apps were shown.
03:59 - 04:14 the main page. DropBox app was shown.
04:14 - 06:28 1st page on the right of the main screen. This page is reserved for on line stuff. Youtube and google maps apps were shown.
06:28 - 09:34 2nd page on the right and is reserved for games. Fruit Ninja, Need for Speed Shift, Plants Versus Zombies.
09:34 - 10:21 Clicking MyApps icon on the top right of any screen explore all installed apps.
10:21 - end LCD Density Changer.

In summary, HC presents a new GUI with 5 pages for users to organize shortcuts to applications. In addition, users can click on 'MyApps' icon to access all apps. In my opinion, it is a step forward, but still fell short to the GUI from iPad. With an iPad, the main page is on top, and subsequent pages follows. Users can organize all the apps in iTunes then sync to the iPad. The icons are prettier and easier to see too. This new HC GUI appears to please many users and I wonder if this is the reason that get people excited about.

My favorite is still the Beast rom. It does everything like my old SUV. I can stuff all my kids and grand children, or all my fishing gears, or every shopping bags that my wife would do during her frenzy shopping spree.

Cheers,

Edit 07/12/2011
Well, I feel bad about the video quality, which may give users wrong impression about the beauty of this rom. So here is the screen shots of the five pages. I also switched from live wallpaper to a fixed one. The live wallpaper, while it is beautiful to look at, it taxes the responsiveness and doesn't show good on video.

Main Screen
bff2w2.jpg

LeftScreen.Apps
2ns7rz9.jpg

LeftScreen.News
nd3hc9.jpg

RightScreen.Online
2cr28ag.jpg

RightScreen.Games
v5zors.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks as always Dave

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks for the video Dave. I was wondering if you could give a run down of what you opened and/or what you have installed on the Tablet. Since the video is hard to see the apps, alls I could do was watch. :p

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for the video Dave. I was wondering if you could give a run down of what you opened and/or what you have installed on the Tablet. Since the video is hard to see the apps, alls I could do was watch. :p

Very clumsy & silly of me. I should explain what is on the video without being asked.

00:00 - 00:02 the main page. It has the live landscape wallpaper. The bottom dock can contain about 8 icons. The default screen density is 120 which makes icons and texts very sharp, but smallist to my eyes. I can increase the density to 130. At 140, some icons got cut off.

00:02 - 00:15 showed the two pages on the left site of the main screen. First page on the left is reserved for news & communication stuff. 2nd page on the left is for reading and apps.

00:15 - 00:42 Barnes & Nobles for Android app on 2nd page on the left side of main screen.

00:42 - 02:51 UPnPlay accessed our WHS media server and used Rock Player to stream 720p.x254 BluRay ripped.

02:51 - 03:59 2nd page of the left. Fox News and NY Times apps were shown.

03:59 - 04:14 the main page. DropBox app was shown.

04:14 - 06:28 1st page on the right of the main screen. This page is reserved for on line stuff. Youtube and google maps apps were shown.

06:28 - 09:34 2nd page on the right and is reserved for games. Fruit Ninja, Need for Speed Shift, Plants Versus Zombies.

09:34 - 10:21 Clicking MyApps icon on the top right of any screen explore all installed apps.

10:21 - end LCD Density Changer.

In summary, HC presents a new GUI with 5 pages for users to organize shortcuts to applications. In addition, users can click on 'MyApps' icon to access all apps. In my opinion, it is a step forward, but still fell short to the GUI from iPad. With an iPad, the main page is on top, and subsequent pages follows. Users can organize all the apps in iTunes then sync to the iPad. The icons are prettier and easier to see too. This new HC GUI appears to please many users and I wonder if this is the reason that get people excited about.

My favorite is still the Beast rom. It does everything like my old SUV. I can stuff all my kids and grand children, or all my fishing gears, or every shopping bags that my wife would do during her frenzy shopping spree.

Cheers,

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Dave! I enjoy watching your videos...that's very considerate of you to do for the HC community. :)

I agree with your impression...stepping up from a Froyo/GB ROM, most people are really impressed by the look of Honeycomb. I think it feels a lot more like a "grown-up" interface, while the others are a bit toy-like on the gTab. There are also LOTS of thoughtful little touches, like how adding widgets, shortcuts, etc. to the desktop/homescreen work.

At this point, if the devs are able to port the Beast ROM to Flashback or Bottle of Smoke, I think that will hit everything on my must-have list!

-Matt

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I've been running this ROM for a couple of weeks and it's solid. Flash works pretty well, camera is not working, but other than that, it's really a phenominal ROM. Less issues then a friend of mine who has a more expensive tablet with Honeycomb support. tlbardelljr is really on top of things.

My wife has a Nook color that I'm running CM7 on and going back and forth makes me realize how much nicer honeycomb is then gingerbread. It just feels more like a tablet and not a large phone.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
^^^signature? ;)

-Matt

Yeah, Microsoft guys don't usually get much love from Android/Linux. I'm actually looking forward to seeing MS Windows 8 tablets - they look interesting. Personally, I hope ICS makes strides to clean up Android and Microsoft releases a decent product. Competition is good for all of us. But, I'm taking this on a tangent!