Zeam Launcher on Nook Color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Here is a short pictorial on how to install and use the Zeam Launcher on your rooted Nook Color. This will enable you to switch to or bypass the Stock Nook UI launcher.

-Download Zeam launcher apk file: http://dl.zeam.org/latest.apk
-Connect your NC via micro usb cable to your computer
-Push n (home) button and unlock your NC
-Your NC will display you have entered usb mode
-Open your command prompt (cmd) and go to you your "adroid-sdk-windows" folder
-Type adb.exe kill-server
-Type adb.exe remount (this will ready your NC to receive commands)
-Type adb install latest.apk
-App will install and you should see "success" displayed in cmd
-Close windows and unplug NC
InstallapktoNookColor.jpg

Default NC UI screen
10-12-13-4.png

-Press n (home) button
-A menu window will appear, giving you the option of using Zeam or Default launcher
10-12-13-16.png

Home screen with Power control widget loaded (Zeam Launcher)
10-12-13-5.png

Installed Apps menu (Zeam Launcher)
10-12-13-7.png

Pinch zoom displaying all home screen, which you can change from 3 stock NC (Zeam Launcher)
10-12-13-6.png

Add actions, items, shortcuts, widgets, and folders to any home screen (Zeam Launcher)
10-12-13-15.png

Zeam Launcher Settings Menu
10-12-13-10.png

Workspace configuration settings menu (Zeam Launcher)
10-12-13-14.png

More to come but this is a very good start to the NC.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You've really outdone yourself, this is excellent. Really nice walk-through, and super screenshots. In fact I'm trying out Zeam right now!

One tiny suggestion: it looks like you lost the "adb" in "-Type install latest.apk" :) It shows up in the screenshot though.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You've really outdone yourself, this is excellent. Really nice walk-through, and super screenshots. In fact I'm trying out Zeam right now!

One tiny suggestion: it looks like you lost the "adb" in "-Type install latest.apk" :) It shows up in the screenshot though.

-Matt

Yea, it was a typo on my part, it should be "adb install latest.apk". Thanks for the catch.

puppster1

Jan 6, 2011
Hi guys, sorry, for some reason I keep returning an error of "adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I already installed ADB so not sure why it's not working since I returned a SN. ADB will work when i'm in platform tools folder but not when I leave it, what did I do wrong?

Edit: Strange it only works in my platform-tools folder... I'm completely new to this, do I have to copy the adb.exe and all associated files to every folder just for it to work?

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, that's simple to fix. You're in Windows, right? The problem is the command adb.exe is not in your system path, so it's not recognized outside of platform-tools.

Fix: Start -> Right click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> (Advanced Tab) Environmental variables Then find Path under system variables -> Edit (CAREFUL, don't erase or overwrite it!) and add at the end a semi-colon ; and then the full path to the folder where ADB is.

That should do the trick!

-Matt

puppster1

Jan 6, 2011
Ah, that's simple to fix. You're in Windows, right? The problem is the command adb.exe is not in your system path, so it's not recognized outside of platform-tools.

Fix: Start -> Right click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> (Advanced Tab) Environmental variables Then find Path under system variables -> Edit (CAREFUL, don't erase or overwrite it!) and add at the end a semi-colon ; and then the full path to the folder where ADB is.

That should do the trick!

-Matt

Awesome thanks! Sorry too new with all this, it's quite a bit different than winmo.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Wait, are you telling me it worked!? I reread what I wrote, and it looks like Greek! I mean, it's correct...just not English.

-Matt

BobOmb138

Jan 7, 2011
I was wondering if any of you had issues with the book button on the bottom of the screen the one that takes you back to the book you were reading since i install zeam it doesnt seem to respond.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
got the same thing but it does work if you launch it from the original home screen - i also kept the original nook home screen so it is just an extra button press (choosing home gives the choice of original or zeam)
as shown here

10-12-13-16.png

I was wondering if any of you had issues with the book button on the bottom of the screen the one that takes you back to the book you were reading since i install zeam it doesnt seem to respond.

BobOmb138

Jan 7, 2011
Ive been doing it that way I just wondered if there was a work around so i didnt have to switch back and forth all the time. Thanks for the reply.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of good info here, thanks. Why don't you just install Zeam from the Google Market?

Cheers,
kev

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
A lot of good info here, thanks. Why don't you just install Zeam from the Google Market?

Cheers,
kev

Agreed, cuz that's what I did and it went just fine. So far, I'm liking Zeam better than ADW, but I think I like Launcher Pro the best overall. The cool thing is that you can configure all of them differently, then switch "modes" on the fly. I have Zeam set up for work stuff, Launcher Pro for games and ADW set up for my daughter (because you can lock the icons..)