[ZiiO] Shell Root + Fully Working Android Market and Ad-Hoc Fix!

Stonik

Jul 20, 2011
This is a guide to shell root your ZiiO and install Android Market. I can't guarantee if it works or not, so please stop reading if you don't want to take any risks. You might brick your device. However reflashing the original firmware should work if something goes wrong.

ZiiO Market Guide v1.0

1) Download and install Java SDK Java SE Development Kit 6u26
2) Download and install Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers If Android SDK doesn't find Java SDK installation, press "Back" and then go to next step again. The install program seems to have a bug... :)
3) Run Android SDK Manager in Administarator Mode. You don't need to set up a virtual device in Android SDK, just install the Android USB Driver.
4) Locate the driver, you might find it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\temp\
5) This is the tricky part. Open android_winusb.inf in Notepad. Locate the section where it reads [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]. You have added the following lines at the end of the section.

; Creative Ziio 7"
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102&MI_01

(Note: If you want, ZiiO10 users can try to replace 7" with 10" and see if it works.)

6) Save the file.
7) Go to C:\Users\[your login name]\.android\
8) If you can find a file called adb_usb.ini, open Notepad to add the following line

0x2350

9) If there is no adb_usb.ini, just copy this to a blank file and save it as adb_usb.ini

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x12D1
0x2350

10) Take your ZiiO and switch USB Debugging on (Settings - Applications - Development)
11) Connect ZiiO to your PC. Don't let Windows install the driver automatically. Go to Control Panel and Devices. Locate Ziio (Unknown Device) and install the driver manually (Have Disk - go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\Temp). Ignore the warnings and choose the Android device or whatever it was called. :)
12) Download and unzip SuperOneClick 1.7 from the end of this post: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.0 (MORE ROOTING!) - xda-developers Only 1.7 seems to work.
13) With your ZiiO connected to PC, use Shell Root with psneuter to get temporary root access to your ZiiO.
14) Download Set Up Google Apps (RAR) from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSM6ATPB
15) Unrar all the files to a specific folder. I copied the files to the same folder as SuperOneClick as I'm too lazy to type. Please note: It seems the file 'SetupWizard.apk' is causing problems, so don't install it.
16) Use Command Prompt, go to SuperOneClick folder. Use the command ADB PUSH [yourfilename] [destination directory in ZiiO] to transfer files. For example:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app

17) After pushing the file to ZiiO, use type ADB SHELL in command prompt and type CHMOD 755 [directory/filename] to set permissions back to normal. For example:
adb shell
# chmod 755 /system/app/Vending.apk

18) Do this for all the files, it takes some time. I honestly don't know if the permission, lib and framework files are needed but I did it anyway. *sigh*
19) When you're done, reboot your ZiiO and try if it the market works.

Ad-hoc support
1) Turn off wi-fi
2) Connect your ZiiO to your PC, use SuperOneClick 1.7 to shell root your tablet
3) Open command line, navigate to your SuperOneClick folder.
4) Use "adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant" to download a backup of your original file
5) Rename the file in your PC as "wpa_supplicant.backup" or whatever you want
6) Download the patch (wpa_supplicant v0.5.11) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=380322&d=1281834626
7) Unzip the file "wpa_supplicant", and copy it to SuperOneClick folder
8) Use "adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin" to copy the patch to your ZiiO.
7) To change permissions back to normal, type:
adb shell
# chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
8) Reboot your ZiiO, switch wifi on.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

Update 17 Nov 2011: New working market version

After the Creative update I decided to try a new version of the Market app, and it seems to work. Download from here:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/332572/Market-3-3-11-zip.html Just unzip, rename to Vending.apk and push + chmod to ZiiO.

--

The most difficult thing was to find the right files to a working market, but the key thing is, that Android Market really works, there are no crashes and I can install software with no problems. Wifi also works on ad-hoc mode and I can use JoikuSpot on my cell phone to connect on internet on the move.

Sorry Creative, no more ZiiStore for me. :)

Last edited:

dbrems

Jul 20, 2011
Hi Stonik,

It's exactely what I'm looking for my ZiiO 10 !!! :rolleyes:

Pleaaaaaaase, send the complete process ASAP, I can't wait ... :eek:

avator

Jul 21, 2011
Its nice news.
I bought a Ziio 10" 2 Weeks ago.
I Try´d to root it selv. I have root in adb terminal but apps like Root App Remover or Titanium Backup will not work.

I waiting for complet guide ;)

avator

Jul 21, 2011
16) Use Command Prompt, go to SuperOneClick folder. Use the command ADB PUSH [yourfilename] [destination directory in ZiiO] to transfer files. For example:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app/

Push only *.apk files ? What is with Framework an Lib Directory ?

I think Push is like Copy Command ? or not

We musst only push all files, and what is with installation ?
Dnot install only push ?

and after push chmod 775 alls push´ed files ?

Other Question.

Its possible to run root app´s on ziio with this "hack" ? like root app manager or set cpu, or all other app´s where need root acces.

Stonik

Jul 20, 2011
Push only *.apk files ? What is with Framework an Lib Directory ?

I think Push is like Copy Command ? or not

We musst only push all files, and what is with installation ?
Dnot install only push ?

and after push chmod 775 alls push´ed files ?

According to other forum posts in other devices, this should do it, no need to install. But if nothing happens after reboot, maybe you could use Root Explorer to navigate to /system/app and click the .APK files to install. I did install most of the files from SD card before shell root, but I'm still learning what's the difference. Maybe someone with more Android knowledge knows. :)

About the other Framework and Lib directory, maybe they are needed, maybe not... :)

Its possible to run root app´s on ziio with this "hack" ? like root app manager or set cpu, or all other app´s where need root acces.

Not sure, as far as I know things have to be done via ADB. If the programs need root access, they probably won't work.

avator

Jul 21, 2011
i do something wrong.
I pushed all .adb files
Framework and Lib pushed too.

Chmod all files.

Restart my ziio

Now i have new Startdesktop. (Welcome to Ziio 10 ) Touch the android to begin. under ths 2 buttons. one Emergancy dial and other change language..

If i touch the Android nothing happens.
i can only change langue.

Task manager work but i cannt kill this task. its started new after i killed him.
i can swith to other task . like gmail oder market.
I succesfull created marked account, and its works, but i cannt go back to my standart desktop...

EDIT.

I restartet my ziio. and now Taskmanager will not more work...

if i connect it do PC via USB.. ADB still working

Mayby i must delete some file ? mayby i pushed to many files... ;)

Any Ideeas ?

Last edited:

Stonik

Jul 20, 2011
i do something wrong.
I pushed all .adb files
Framework and Lib pushed too.

Chmod all files.

Restart my ziio

Now i have new Startdesktop. (Welcome to Ziio 10 ) Touch the android to begin. under ths 2 buttons. one Emergancy dial and other change language..

If i touch the Android nothing happens.
i can only change langue.

Task manager work but i cannt kill this task. its started new after i killed him.
i can swith to other task . like gmail oder market.
I succesfull created marked account, and its works, but i cannt go back to my standart desktop...

EDIT.

I restartet my ziio. and now Taskmanager will not more work...

if i connect it do PC via USB.. ADB still working

Mayby i must delete some file ? mayby i pushed to many files... ;)

Any Ideeas ?

Maybe you could try to delete Setup Wizard .apk from system/app, use Adb shell and rm command).

avator

Jul 21, 2011
Ok i Deleted SetupWizard.apk , and i have my Standart Desktop back.
But if i press home button nothing happens. Normal if i hold homebutten Task-Manager startet, now i press it, nothing happens.

Any Ideeas ?

Stonik

Jul 20, 2011
Ok i Deleted SetupWizard.apk , and i have my Standart Desktop back.
But if i press home button nothing happens. Normal if i hold homebutten Task-Manager startet, now i press it, nothing happens.

Any Ideeas ?

There's a file in Ziio system/app called Provision.apk which conflicts with SetupWizard.apk. So that might be why things didn't work out. Some Cyanogen people say Provision.apk isn't needed so if you want, take a copy of Provision.apk to your SD card or computer, and delete it from system/app folder.

Anyway, these modifications shouldn't affect launcher or Task Manager. The first thing you could do is to go to Settings (if you can) and clear all of the settings for Launcher and Task Manager. I don't know what ZiiO's launcher is in /system/app but there's a file called LauncherRabbit.apk, so maybe you could check if the permissions are ok with this file and ZiiTaskManager.apk.

And I really have to thank you for trying the guide, we'll be learning lots more all the time. Hopefully we can get your device running and help all other ZiiO users too!

dbrems

Jul 20, 2011
I had the same problem at reboot, trap in the SetupWizard.apk. Just kill the prog, ps then kill <processID>, followed by a rm of the apk.

I also have the home button problem, I have to click fast twice on the back button to have the same functionality.
I haven't find any Setting related to that stuff.
I will look forward this evening.

Stonik because it seems that we have all the same problem with the SetupWizard.apk, maybe you could suppress this file form the guide. Or at least told to not copy it.

Anyway thanks for the guide, i hope we could help you to move to a Beta version of it.

avator

Jul 21, 2011
UPDATE

Task-Manager @ Homebutton still not work.
I Think Google change my Boot Setings, then this Saftly Lock, after boot where must by muvet into middle of screen is gone...

But i have good news.
After many hours of Googling, i found other chance to root it.
Now root Apps working on my Ziio. Like Titanium Backup or Rooted App Remover, and i can browse to /data Folder . I have removen some **** rooted apps, like kindle, Audible etc.

I Used only Manuelly root.
Here al Guide Link
How to manually root almost any Android device

But commands like : # mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system failed to work.

And i pushed SU into /sbin/ Folder.
Superuser.apk into /system/app/

And i Deleted /data/busybox/su

All this readed in xda-devolopers forum here Quote:

I copied su-v3 in /sbin. Rename it tu su. chmod 4755 su. Reboot the Ziio7 and it works. Work in a terminal, with "Root App Remover" and so on. Thank you for the hints!!!!

UPDATE: I use SuperOneClick1.9.5 until it failed. Open a commandwindow. adb push source target superuser.apk and install it. rm /data/busybox/su or better the hole busybox ...

First Time i dnot understand this hint, but after many hours of googling i understoot it.

Now i must get my Homebutton Funktion back, then im happy.

I dnot want restore my ziio and do it again.

Today i will testing some "root" only apps

avator

Jul 21, 2011
Edited the first post, added the ad-hoc fix guide.

Work yours Homebutton ?

in /system/usr/keylayout/ are 4 Files.
ACRPC.kl, qwerty.kl, Touchscreen.kl, wm8350_buttons.kl

I thing touchscreen.kl is for button remap.
I try to remap buttons but home funktion still not work on oher button. Other button like Menu works remaped on other button.

if your button work, can you upload the 4 files from /system/usr/keylayout/ ?

I want to compare it with my files.