[ZiiO] Shell Root + Fully Working Android Market and Ad-Hoc Fix!

nordman

Aug 8, 2011
There was a new update recently. build 2.00.14
I push it into a new ziio and try to root it AFTER with no success.
I would like to warn people to ROOT BEFORE updating.
I would also appreciate if somebody could help me to achieve the root on this new pad :(
thanks
You mean temporary rooting with SuperOneClick, as instructed in this thread?
At least for me these instructions worked perfectly for both builds 2.00.13 and 2.00.14, no problems whatsoever.:cool:

The only problem with my ZiiO at the moment is bluetooth that has somehow stopped working... I wonder why. :confused: That problem may have nothing to do with this hacking however...

mxrob

Nov 4, 2011
ok so the issue i seem to be having is locating the USB driver for this device, if i go to temp ther eis nothing there i did some research and it comes under extras but still all i get is windows can not install this device i have followed the instructions to the T and i also had not pluged in the ZiiO previously is there something i am missing here? i am using a windows machine running XP i also have a win7 64bit pc i have tried it on

when i go to device manager under Disk Drives i have
ZiiLABS ZMS08 USB DEVICE
ZiiLABS ZMS08 USB DEVICE

Other Devices
!ZMS08

any help would be great

Last edited:

Ryoga

Mar 29, 2011
ok so the issue i seem to be having is locating the USB driver for this device, if i go to temp ther eis nothing there i did some research and it comes under extras but still all i get is windows can not install this device i have followed the instructions to the T and i also had not pluged in the ZiiO previously is there something i am missing here? i am using a windows machine running XP i also have a win7 64bit pc i have tried it on

when i go to device manager under Disk Drives i have
ZiiLABS ZMS08 USB DEVICE
ZiiLABS ZMS08 USB DEVICE

Other Devices
!ZMS08

any help would be great

guys, I have exactly the same problem, the system doesn't see the driver.
Any suggestion?

Ryoga

Mar 29, 2011
mxrob, check if you made my same mistake! ;)

pasting in the driver
; Creative Ziio 7"
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102&MI_01

instead of

; Creative Ziio 7"
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2350&PID_0102
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2350&PID_0102&MI_01

mxrob

Nov 4, 2011
Heya Ryoga yep i did have it the wrong way i fixed it now im thinking there is something else im missing apart from superone click "not responding" i cant seem to update the driver for the Other Devices !ZMS08 did u get this to work?

Stonik

Jul 20, 2011
Updated the first post, now with a new Market version. The old one is much faster and cleaner, though.

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
Updated the first post, now with a new Market version. The old one is much faster and cleaner, though.

If your adb command is timing out then you probably do not have the driver installed properly. Also, you need to make sure the tablet has debugging mode set (go to "setup", "applications", "development", check the "debugging" box).

There are 2 separate files you need to alter (or create) to get the driver working. First, is the android_winusb.inf file which needs to be modified. You can find this file in your /android/android-sdk/extras/google/usb_driver/ directory.

When you connect the first time it will try to install drivers. I'd let it go through the motions but when it can't find them, do a search for drivers and then (I think) you have an option to browse your computer for the inf file, and thats when you take it to your modified android_winusb.inf file.

AND, you must put a adb_usb.ini file in your .android directory. Mine is located in c:\Users\MyuserID\.android\ That file is a simple text file with 1 essential line:
0x2350

That's all it is. I created the file with notepad - just name it adb_usb.ini and put it in your .android directory (not the same as your Android directory).

You will need to disconnect and re-connect your tablet and you can test your connection by opening a dos box on your PC and enter the command:
adb devices

That will start the server and then search for all adb devices connected and will give you a simple output. Mine shows a long string of numbers with a ? at the end and then I recall it save device.

If you get that, then you have a good working adb connection. If not, then retrace your steps.

mxrob

Nov 4, 2011
If your adb command is timing out then you probably do not have the driver installed properly. Also, you need to make sure the tablet has debugging mode set (go to "setup", "applications", "development", check the "debugging" box).

There are 2 separate files you need to alter (or create) to get the driver working. First, is the android_winusb.inf file which needs to be modified. You can find this file in your /android/android-sdk/extras/google/usb_driver/ directory.

When you connect the first time it will try to install drivers. I'd let it go through the motions but when it can't find them, do a search for drivers and then (I think) you have an option to browse your computer for the inf file, and thats when you take it to your modified android_winusb.inf file.

AND, you must put a adb_usb.ini file in your .android directory. Mine is located in c:\Users\MyuserID\.android\ That file is a simple text file with 1 essential line:
0x2350

That's all it is. I created the file with notepad - just name it adb_usb.ini and put it in your .android directory (not the same as your Android directory).

You will need to disconnect and re-connect your tablet and you can test your connection by opening a dos box on your PC and enter the command:
adb devices

That will start the server and then search for all adb devices connected and will give you a simple output. Mine shows a long string of numbers with a ? at the end and then I recall it save device.

If you get that, then you have a good working adb connection. If not, then retrace your steps.

Thank you very much i got the driver working
my problem is now i cant seem to get it push
i go start --> CMD ----> adb push Vending.apk /system/app and all i get is "adb is not a recognized as an internal or external command
i apreciate the help so far and getting me the rest of the way is apreciated even more

mxrob

Nov 4, 2011
ok so i am strugling to use CMD to locate the superoneclick folder any recomendations where to put it?

Last edited:

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
adb is in the /android/android-sdk/platform-tools directory. I've found it's best to put everything in that directory you want to push and it will streamline your text entry into your command.com prompt.
So get psneuter into that directory as well as all the google apps you want to push. Then after you load up your dos box just change the directory to that platform-tools directory and then it becomes your default so less typing (or typing errors!)

(you need to go thru the process of getting superuser(su) onto your tablet before you can install the google apps). The psneuter gets you the temp root access you need to install the google apps. In my experience this "root" process is not complete rooting, but it will get su working and many things you need to do reguiring root access will work then.)

Last edited:

mxrob

Nov 4, 2011
would like to thank the creater of this page and ALL of those who have supported on the way successfull android market install <3

just have to get passed "a problem occured while communicating with google services" haha <--- fixed just make sure you register a gmail acount on your PC not your tablet

Last edited:

KimBo

Dec 5, 2011
This is a guide to shell root your ZiiO and install Android Market. I can't guarantee if it works or not, so please stop reading if you don't want to take any risks. You might brick your device. However reflashing the original firmware should work if something goes wrong.

ZiiO Market Guide v1.0

1) Download and install Java SDK Java SE Development Kit 6u26
2) Download and install Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers If Android SDK doesn't find Java SDK installation, press "Back" and then go to next step again. The install program seems to have a bug... :)
3) Run Android SDK Manager in Administarator Mode. You don't need to set up a virtual device in Android SDK, just install the Android USB Driver.
4) Locate the driver, you might find it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\temp\
5) This is the tricky part. Open android_winusb.inf in Notepad. Locate the section where it reads [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]. You have added the following lines at the end of the section.

; Creative Ziio 7"
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
USB\VID_2350&PID_0102&MI_01

(Note: If you want, ZiiO10 users can try to replace 7" with 10" and see if it works.)

6) Save the file.
7) Go to C:\Users\[your login name]\.android\
8) If you can find a file called adb_usb.ini, open Notepad to add the following line

0x2350

9) If there is no adb_usb.ini, just copy this to a blank file and save it as adb_usb.ini

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x12D1
0x2350

10) Take your ZiiO and switch USB Debugging on (Settings - Applications - Development)
11) Connect ZiiO to your PC. Don't let Windows install the driver automatically. Go to Control Panel and Devices. Locate Ziio (Unknown Device) and install the driver manually (Have Disk - go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\Temp). Ignore the warnings and choose the Android device or whatever it was called. :)
12) Download and unzip SuperOneClick 1.7 from the end of this post: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.0 (MORE ROOTING!) - xda-developers Only 1.7 seems to work.
13) With your ZiiO connected to PC, use Shell Root with psneuter to get temporary root access to your ZiiO.
14) Download Set Up Google Apps (RAR) from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSM6ATPB
15) Unrar all the files to a specific folder. I copied the files to the same folder as SuperOneClick as I'm too lazy to type. Please note: It seems the file 'SetupWizard.apk' is causing problems, so don't install it.
16) Use Command Prompt, go to SuperOneClick folder. Use the command ADB PUSH [yourfilename] [destination directory in ZiiO] to transfer files. For example:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app

17) After pushing the file to ZiiO, use type ADB SHELL in command prompt and type CHMOD 755 [directory/filename] to set permissions back to normal. For example:
adb shell
# chmod 755 /system/app/Vending.apk

18) Do this for all the files, it takes some time. I honestly don't know if the permission, lib and framework files are needed but I did it anyway. *sigh*
19) When you're done, reboot your ZiiO and try if it the market works.

Ad-hoc support
1) Turn off wi-fi
2) Connect your ZiiO to your PC, use SuperOneClick 1.7 to shell root your tablet
3) Open command line, navigate to your SuperOneClick folder.
4) Use "adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant" to download a backup of your original file
5) Rename the file in your PC as "wpa_supplicant.backup" or whatever you want
6) Download the patch (wpa_supplicant v0.5.11) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=380322&d=1281834626
7) Unzip the file "wpa_supplicant", and copy it to SuperOneClick folder
8) Use "adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin" to copy the patch to your ZiiO.
7) To change permissions back to normal, type:
adb shell
# chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
8) Reboot your ZiiO, switch wifi on.

Source: Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant - xda-developers
Update 17 Nov 2011: New working market version

After the Creative update I decided to try a new version of the Market app, and it seems to work. Download from here:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/332572/Market-3-3-11-zip.html Just unzip, rename to Vending.apk and push + chmod to ZiiO.

--

The most difficult thing was to find the right files to a working market, but the key thing is, that Android Market really works, there are no crashes and I can install software with no problems. Wifi also works on ad-hoc mode and I can use JoikuSpot on my cell phone to connect on internet on the move.

Sorry Creative, no more ZiiStore for me. :)

New too Android

How do I and push + chmod to ZiiO. I have downloded Market3-3-11.zzip

Please help