7022 Help (Can't restore)

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
My system details:
Model number: MID7022
Android version: 2.3.3
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
Build number: MID7022 20120106

I have a brand new Kyros, just out of the box today.
Unfortunately, I failed to make a backup of the restore partition.
I have tried numerous restore images and the tablet does not load the restore menu.
If you can get me the original / custom restore, I will be able to make a system partition backup.

I too need this stock ROM and MTD.img so I can flash from FDWN

My 7022 is stuck in a boot loop @ the initial boot image. Prior to that I had tried clockwork and lost the ability to launch recovery. I then tried the FDWN files for the cyanogen mod and the ones for the what is it EM73 Both of those write and checksum ok but do the looping

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
I too need this stock ROM and MTD.img so I can flash from FDWN

My 7022 is stuck in a boot loop @ the initial boot image. Prior to that I had tried clockwork and lost the ability to launch recovery. I then tried the FDWN files for the cyanogen mod and the ones for the what is it EM73 Both of those write and checksum ok but do the looping

I got the tablet out of the loop by using an mtd and boot image from a D703 tab that had the same chipset AND the same build date of 20120106. I know this is risky but I had to try something. The tab now boots BUT the touchscreen is dead. Please note I did not use FWTool I did use FWDN. Anyway, if there is anyone with a stock 20120106 build date Coby 7022, please note this

Clockwork that worked for earlier versions of the 7022 breaks recovery on the 20120106 build.

IF you did not make a backup and you try to use earlier firmware, the tablet can go into a boot loop and there isn't a solution for this currently UNLESS someone can provide the stock 20120106 build software.

If someone has a stock one dated that date (or later perhaps...) , it would be great for you to make a complete backup of the stock firmware and system BEFORE you start playing and perhaps -if you'd be so kind- make it available to us noobs who didn't take that all important step.

wesayso

Mar 3, 2012
have you found any way to fix no touch screen and reboot after 30 sec . min is doing that right now

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
have you found any way to fix no touch screen and reboot after 30 sec . min is doing that right now

I believe the answer to no touch screen - at least for my tablet - is to restore the stock MTD and lk.rom files for the build date of 20120106. Still trying to find someone with the files. I did hear from someone on xda dev site that is expecting a new 7022 tablet in the next week or so and they plan on trying to revive theirs using ADB to pull copies of these two files from the new device then push them to the one the one they soft-bricked. That is assuming the build date is on or after 20120106. There are still plenty of 2011 tablets being sold. If they get the right dated files and it works, they said they would post copies of the files so we can get running again.

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
I believe the answer to no touch screen - at least for my tablet - is to restore the stock MTD and lk.rom files for the build date of 20120106. Still trying to find someone with the files. I did hear from someone on xda dev site that is expecting a new 7022 tablet in the next week or so and they plan on trying to revive theirs using ADB to pull copies of these two files from the new device then push them to the one the one they soft-bricked. That is assuming the build date is on or after 20120106. There are still plenty of 2011 tablets being sold. If they get the right dated files and it works, they said they would post copies of the files so we can get running again.

the touchscreen thing is usually fixed with another boot.img file - I have one but sadly it makes no difference because I dont have wifi or external sd support with the backup I have. Sucks. If it helps you, the cm7 has a proper working touchscreen driver in it, if you can extract it, please also extract the wifi driver and update it and then post it here :)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
the touchscreen thing is usually fixed with another boot.img file - I have one but sadly it makes no difference because I dont have wifi or external sd support with the backup I have. Sucks. If it helps you, the cm7 has a proper working touchscreen driver in it, if you can extract it, please also extract the wifi driver and update it and then post it here :)

You can try the stock 7022 I put together should at least get you back to stock 7022.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/41455-help-recovery-7022-a.html

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
You can try the stock 7022 I put together should at least get you back to stock 7022.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/41455-help-recovery-7022-a.html

yup, tried it - back to stock, screen works, wifi doesn't. no freaking clue why. If there was a way to withdraw the wifi from cm7 and put it in your update there, that'd take me all the way to the bank of the 4.0 ics. I'm THIS close to buying another 7022, grabbing the backup from that and giving it to my wife next xmas.

What it does is it loads into 2.3.3, tries to access the microsd card, then says after a bit of time 'sd card is safe to remove'. When I try turning on the wifi from the wireless section in the settings, it comes back with 'error' after 'turning on' for a minute. If you have a suggestion, I'd like to hear it because I've been beating this horse for a while and my arm is tired.

Last edited:

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Put it this way: Starbucks f'd my tablet. I had a perfectly good 2.3.3 rooted, and all kinds of goodies. Dl'd an apk of google play for 2.3.3 that was mislabelled and was for 4.0. It then boned my tablet. I then proceeded to pull up cwm and have been stuck there ever since. Wifi works on cm7 no problem, but I'd like to have it back to 2.3.3 stock to update it to 4.0, but the wifi doesn't work at all on that backup. If there was a way to update to 4.0 from cm7 that would also work, but I haven't seen it yet.

I've also tried EVERY single backup I can find of a 7022 off the german website, here, and on xda developers as well as the bulldogz ones to no avail, I can't even get into the operating system of the 4.0 backups (just hangs on android load screen - I read it could first time boot up to 10-15 mins, so I left it for half hour to be sure, still in the android boot loop).

I'm convinced it's because my build is older than the 2012/01/06 build. Thoughts?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
where is cwm7 for 7022 so I can pull the wifi from it?

also go a head boot into recovery and do a factory reset, then reboot and test wifi.

Last edited:

paintballeralex07

May 24, 2012
I might be able to help I had this issues to with my first tablet. You can try flashing a custom lk.rom file. Ill pm it to you later. Btw you need to be able to fastboot atleast.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
where is cwm7 for 7022 so I can pull the wifi from it?

also go a head boot into recovery and do a factory reset, then reboot and test wifi.

http://files.androtab.info/telechips/cm7/20111029/KYROS7022-8K/KYROS7022-8K-cyanogen-signed.zip

I'll attempt a factory reset then after I load your recovery in with fastboot again. BTW, your recovery file has a meta-inf folder in it, is there something I need to do with that in fastboot or just the recovery file to the tools folder is good enough?

Last edited:

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
Update: Nope, didnt work. Used your recovery, wifi still doesn't work. Then did a factory reset, still no go. Tried the ICS7022.zip file again, waited 45 minutes this time on the android boot screen - I presume even my 7022 which never was lightning, would load ics in that time.

Still not sure about that meta-inf folder in your zip file though, does it have a function?