A500 4.0 update

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Doesn't the a200 already have this? If so and since they are so similar It would be nice to get it sooner than later.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Doesn't the a200 already have this? If so and since they are so similar It would be nice to get it sooner than later.
That is the new product range. A200 is the replacement for the A100. The A200 doesn't have the same functionality as A500. You've got to remember that a OTA update must have safe-guards built into it which is probably the reason for the delay.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
At a tech show recently, their were acer reps and they discussed it. ICS for A500 and A100 are expected mid febuary (never was january offcially). They have a group that continiously works on the build and and changes.

Acer is making custom changes so it works better for tablets.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
They have a group that continiously works on the build and and changes.
Acer is making custom changes so it works better for tablets.

Too bad some of them don't hang out here. We could give them an ear-full.

HEY ACER: Does your microphone work yet?

As for the Mid February, that's just for Douvie. The rest of us get it in March. ;)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

As for the Mid February, that's just for Douvie. The rest of us get it in March. ;)

Thank you Icebike. But I think ACER'S release of ICS shows a bit of thought and dedication in delivering to their customer's a system that works (except for the microphone in your case). That is far better than MS's track record with whingdows where they send out 10000 patches 1 week after the major release of their new OS.

Yeah ACER what about an ear on tne ground in this Forum. You might get to know what your customers a little and learn something.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011

The best place to bend their ear is Facebook and Twitter

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
To answer your question, you get notice that an update is available. Weather you install it or not is up to you.
One thing the person who posted this thread did not ask was weather the ICS update is available with vanilla or chocolate ice cream,

Can just change the theme to your favorite flavor.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The best place to bend their ear is Facebook and Twitter

Yeah, like I'm joining either of those to tell them what they should already know!!!

There is absolutely no evidence that either of these portals are actually run official Acer people.
Or that the proper people in Acer would actually see these posts.

We all know about the Malaysia twitter guy, who it turned out was not even authorized to be
posting release dates, and some reports are that he got fired. He's been very quiet of late.

My take is to run away from any company that uses Facebook as their official public facing
user input site. It just screams "kid under 25 pretending to be big time".

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, like I'm joining either of those to tell them what they should already know!!!

There is absolutely no evidence that either of these portals are actually run official Acer people.

We all know about the Malaysia twitter guy, who it turned out was not even authorized to be
posting release dates, and some reports are that he got fired. He's been very quiet of late.

My take is to run away from any company that uses Facebook as their official public facing

Really didn't expect you to agree with anyone but wtf ever.

FYI

Official Twitter link
https://twitter.com/#!/aceramerica

Official Facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/Acer

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

+1

I agree entirely.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Uh, considering if you go to acer.com and they have a link that says "Find Us, Join Us" with a button to that Facebook page...
Unless that constitutes absolutely no evidence...

Doesn't mean they're on facebook.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
The Facebook page linked from the acer site is the companies official facebook page. Who in the company runs it is the question, and they pretty much post what they are told to and create things to keep users interested inbetween product announcements and give aways.

Not sure about the twitter page, since it has no official link or disclaimer.

As a note. Most companies use facebook. It is the largest social media group and is the best plae to advertise products, support, and feedback. Utilized by large and small companies.. You know it an Acer site when you like their page and acer promos pop up all over the ads section. Meaning the invested money into it.

Last edited:

kierandill

Feb 8, 2011
Well, it means it isn't some schmo in his mother's basement pretending to be Acer. Whether it is of any productive value is in question.