Anyone know anything about this one?

stinkeye22

Feb 4, 2012
Howdy Stinkeye and Welcome to the Forum!
Battery life should improve with a few proper charging cycles. Check this link. How to Take Care of your Tablet Battery... | Top Notch Tablets
I was originally excited to flash ICS (4.0) with its cool new look and features but I've read too many threads with problems and even that it uses more power (cuts into battery life again) so I'm gonna stick with Gingerbread (2.3) for a while untill ICS gets smoothed out. Good luck with Honeycomb (3.0) - haven't read of ANY tablets running it. Seems to be just for the phones - not sure what the problem is?

Trying to find the thanks button lol. Think I will follow that advice and also try to fix permisions for the market.. Kind of learning on the fly and hoping not to ruin it. But it is odd. Its anoying that the market wont show some apps like checkmark calendar pro... The widget wont work until i can fix that and fine tuning the power issue... Ill keep listening tho. And just as frustrating is I finally rooted my Atrix and now there isan ota update.... It's true, getting into modifying these things is kind of like having poison ivy... i know I have no business scratching it but I cant help it.

blu8503

Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn't worry unduly about a custom screen protector, unless you are going to use plastic or similar possibly abrasive styli you should have no problem.
I tired this and now my camera wont work just force closes and I can not get a hold of anyone at iViewUS

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
I tired this and now my camera wont work just force closes and I can not get a hold of anyone at iViewUS

I'm guessing you were intending to quote the firmware update. My camera hasn't worked since I bought my tablet, it force closes as well. I'd really like to see a fix for this.

Jstn7477

Feb 9, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm brand new here and have been lurking this thread for the last week or so. I received my IVIEW-760TPC on Tuesday 2/7/12 from Newegg. It appears to be a true 8GB model (5.9GB internal mnt/sdcard). I ended up bricking it the first night I had it (by not using Root Explorer to edit build.prop, but I found some other information in the thread and unbricked it with Ployer MOMO9 Gingerbread). Anyway, iview released some 80MB "2.0MP camera" patch which never fixed the camera but added more crapware to my tab like King Kong Market (SlideME market), Amazon apps, Skype, etc. Today, they further changed their website and added a 164MB system ROM with LiveSuit and a driver. I will attempt flashing it tonight.

Anyway, this tablet seems alright for $130. Scores ~3000 in AnTuTu Benchmark, supports my 32GB Class 10 microSDHC card, works with USB keyboard and mouse, and gets "okay" battery life with phone services removed. Apps seem to work fine so far, but sometimes the tab freezes up for a bit and applications go unresponsive (but usually start working again in a few seconds). Seems to take a while to charge as well. Screen is rather grainy and washed out with a perpendicular viewing angle, but it seems like my screen may have gotten a little better with a few hours of use. Camera didn't work out of the box, we'll see what it does with the new ROM. Sound works fine, seems to support "4 contact" 3.5mm plugs but haven't tried finding out if the mic part would work. HDMI works. Screen responsiveness is alright but frequently I will press something and it clicks on something else randomly on the screen. More to come soon.

Quick question: Any way to back up all my apps and restore them on a new ROM? I have used Android for almost a year (HTC ThunderBolt) but didn't care to get into the power user stuff until I got my "chinatab" 2 days ago. Sorry for a noobish question.

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
You can use titanium backup to backup apps to the external sd card (set backup location to a directory in '/mtn/extern_sd'). Then you can restore them as needed. TBu has batch functions so you can just set it and have it backup everything.

EggsTyrone

Jan 21, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm brand new here and have been lurking this thread for the last week or so. I received my IVIEW-760TPC on Tuesday 2/7/12 from Newegg. It appears to be a true 8GB model (5.9GB internal mnt/sdcard). I ended up bricking it the first night I had it (by not using Root Explorer to edit build.prop, but I found some other information in the thread and unbricked it with Ployer MOMO9 Gingerbread). Anyway, iview released some 80MB "2.0MP camera" patch which never fixed the camera but added more crapware to my tab like King Kong Market (SlideME market), Amazon apps, Skype, etc. Today, they further changed their website and added a 164MB system ROM with LiveSuit and a driver. I will attempt flashing it tonight.

Please let us know how the ROM upgrade goes. If you don't mind, could you give a quick overview of how to do this? I can't read Asian characters. I wish there were better instructions and explanations of what these firmware "updates" achieve. I must admit, it seems pretty shady how these are presented. I certainly don't want to introduce problems with an upgrade, especially when I don't know what they will do.

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
I've also noticed that the device lacks a contacts app. Can anyone point me in the right direction to either sideload the Google app or a decent replacement?

Sent from my 97FC using Android Tablet Forum

Jstn7477

Feb 9, 2012
I installed Titanium Backup, but it got stuck on checking for root access, so I updated BusyBox from the Market and it bricked my device lol. Anyway, I forced my device into debug mode, flashed the new iview ROM that was released today, and can confirm that the camera is finally fixed on the "latest 8GB model" that Newegg is currently selling.

EggsTyrone, here's what I did:
1) Download http://iviewus.com/download/760tpc.zip
2) Extract contents to a folder. There will be 2 folders and an image.
3) Install the drivers for your device (I did this somehow yesterday with some packages released by other people, but I think the drivers are in there). Follow the "Engrish" guide here: http://iviewus.com/download/760tpc2.doc
4) Launch LiveSuit.exe (NOT THE INSTALLER PACKAGE), select the image, and leave the window open.
5) With the tab unplugged from USB and shut down, hold VOL + for 10 seconds (continue holding during entire step), then plug in USB cord, and repeatedly press the power button until LiveSuit comes up with a prompt to force format (when this appears you can stop pressing the buttons)
6) Carry out the entire flashing process, and the tab will boot up by itself when the process is done.

Going to play with the new ROM some more, but so far it seems a little more responsive than the last one. It is Android 2.3.4, Baseband 2.04, Kernel 2.6.36-android. Have not checked for root status yet.

EDIT: Root Explorer works, so these tabs are still pseudo-rooted out of the box.

Last edited:

stinkeye22

Feb 4, 2012
You know, it IS kind of annoying that they are now selling the true 8gig at the same price barely 2 weeks after I got my 4 gig "upgradeable to 8". I would feel a little better if they would at least have charged $10 more or something.... It was my first big purchase on newegg ever too. I AM a noob so is it worth my while to try and exchange this thing, looks like it has a newer processor or something too?

Edit..
Even crazier, it's 4GB But my invoice now links to the 8gb version, the ad for the 4gb upgradeable has disappeared. I'm going to give the 4 to my Mom so I don't have to bother with the return and hope they will cut me some slack on the correct one.
Sent from my MB860 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

EggsTyrone

Jan 21, 2012
I installed Titanium Backup, but it got stuck on checking for root access, so I updated BusyBox from the Market and it bricked my device lol. Anyway, I forced my device into debug mode, flashed the new iview ROM that was released today, and can confirm that the camera is finally fixed on the "latest 8GB model" that Newegg is currently selling.

EggsTyrone, here's what I did:
1) Download http://iviewus.com/download/760tpc.zip
2) Extract contents to a folder. There will be 2 folders and an image.
3) Install the drivers for your device (I did this somehow yesterday with some packages released by other people, but I think the drivers are in there). Follow the "Engrish" guide here: http://iviewus.com/download/760tpc2.doc
4) Launch LiveSuit.exe (NOT THE INSTALLER PACKAGE), select the image, and leave the window open.
5) With the tab unplugged from USB and shut down, hold VOL + for 10 seconds (continue holding during entire step), then plug in USB cord, and repeatedly press the power button until LiveSuit comes up with a prompt to force format (when this appears you can stop pressing the buttons)
6) Carry out the entire flashing process, and the tab will boot up by itself when the process is done.

Going to play with the new ROM some more, but so far it seems a little more responsive than the last one. It is Android 2.3.4, Baseband 2.04, Kernel 2.6.36-android. Have not checked for root status yet.

EDIT: Root Explorer works, so these tabs are still pseudo-rooted out of the box.

Thanks for the summary. I will likely try it tomorrow. Does the new firmware fix the battery drain issue? If not, that would have been a smart move, I think.

heyheyhihi

Feb 9, 2012
Yeah it was kinda annoying how they upgraded everything when others have just bought it with the original specs.

Anybody have issues with updating firmware?

Been trying to update firmware but this message shows up:

-- Install /sd/Android ...
E:Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (No space left on device)
Installation aborted

Any ideas?

skelman

Feb 9, 2012
I also recently got the 8gb model from Newegg. Unfortunately I've been unable to rename the phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk files. All the file explorers I've used (with SuperUser installed and working afaik, and root browsing on) have said "operation failed". I've tried file expert and ES File explorer. Both are unable to rename those files. Any thoughts on this?

I've noticed the camera does not work like Jstn7477 said, but when I downloaded the files from iviewus.com intending to upgrade the firmware, my virus program (AVG) alerted me to infected files.

From 760tpc.zip:
LiveSuit.exe is infected with Worm/Generic2.BGPX
LiveSuitPack100_ex.exe infected with Worm/Generic2.BGPX.dropper

They were unable to be cleaned and it suggested I delete them.

So much for upgrading, heh. I don't feel like trying to execute files that are infected with Worms/Viruses. Anyone else scan these files and notice this?

Jstn7477

Feb 9, 2012
You know, it IS kind of annoying that they are now selling the true 8gig at the same price barely 2 weeks after I got my 4 gig "upgradeable to 8". I would feel a little better if they would at least have charged $10 more or something.... It was my first big purchase on newegg ever too. I AM a noob so is it worth my while to try and exchange this thing, looks like it has a newer processor or something too?
Sent from my MB860 using Android Tablet Forum

Everything should be the same besides the internal flash and possibly the camera. If your camera worked out of the box (mine didn't) then the hardware must be different, as my camera only works with the new firmware and not the original or Ployer MOMO9 firmware.

Thanks for the summary. I will likely try it tomorrow. Does the new firmware fix the battery drain issue? If not, that would have been a smart move, I think.

I don't think it does. The tab has phone services enabled because of the USB On The Go port that you can connect some Huawei/ZTE modems to. They are easy to remove, though. After that, I would probably give the battery a nice discharge and full recharge, perhaps it will help calibrate the battery.

Yeah it was kinda annoying how they upgraded everything when others have just bought it with the original specs.

Anybody have issues with updating firmware?

Been trying to update firmware but this message shows up:

-- Install /sd/Android ...
E:Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (No space left on device)
Installation aborted

Any ideas?

Your flash must be out of space to load the new image. If you must upgrade your firmware, I would suggest backing up all your stuff and doing the forced format method I disclosed previously.

I also recently got the 8gb model from Newegg. Unfortunately I've been unable to rename the phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk files. All the file explorers I've used (with SuperUser installed and working afaik, and root browsing on) have said "operation failed". I've tried file expert and ES File explorer. Both are unable to rename those files. Any thoughts on this?

I've noticed the camera does not work like Jstn7477 said, but when I downloaded the files from iviewus.com intending to upgrade the firmware, my virus program (AVG) alerted me to infected files.

From 760tpc.zip:
LiveSuit.exe is infected with Worm/Generic2.BGPX
LiveSuitPack100_ex.exe infected with Worm/Generic2.BGPX.dropper

They were unable to be cleaned and it suggested I delete them.

So much for upgrading, heh. I don't feel like trying to execute files that are infected with Worms/Viruses. Anyone else scan these files and notice this?

I had no problems with File Expert (free, with root browsing enabled) renaming the files. I'd imagine Root Explorer ($4) would work as well, as I could actually edit my build.prop with that.

Microsoft Security Essentials didn't care about me using it, so I'll have to say that AVG probably found a false positive. My computer hasn't acted any differently, and other power users have shared the same exact LiveSuit files, so I deem it safe.

blu8503

Feb 9, 2012
The new update the posted on their website fixed my camera, super easy to flash, especially since I had flashed ICS yesterday in an attempt to fix, anyway perfect product for a kid which is exactly where this is going way better than getting a stupid LeapPad for her.