Anyone know anything about this one?

fncyghst

Feb 3, 2012
To remove useless icons (Home, Volume up/down, Menu, Back, Cell signal, Alarm):
  • download View attachment 5496 and extract the apk from the zip
  • from the market download ZipSigner 2
  • put the SystemUI mod on your device somehow (using a PC and USB will work, downloading directly from tablet works)
  • using ZipSigner 2, sign the file with the key "platform" (press "Choose in/out" button, select .apk file, choose platform from pulldown under Key/Mode, press sign the file)
  • navigate to /system/app and copy SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.old (this is for a backup, just in case CAUTION: renaming or deleting the file will cause an infinite loop in the device telling you "Sorry, systemui has crashed, try again")
  • copy the signed file (the one you made with ZipSigner 2) to /system/app overwriting the original (make sure you have a backup) (after overwriting, the statusbar will disappear and won't return until reboot)
  • reboot, when your tablet is done rebooting the icons should no longer clutter the statusbar
I've been trying to do this word for word for the last hour and I'm getting absolutely nothing. I can't, no matter what I try to do, paste the new SystemUI.apk into the /system/app folder. It's got root permissions, I changed the file's permissions, I signed it, and I had success getting rid of Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk. There is no reason that I shouldn't be allowed to do this but lo and behold I am being scorned by God himself and have been given the middle finger every time I've tried to move it.

Here's step-by-step what made me lose my sanity:
1. I renamed the original SystemUI.apk (I know, but I couldn't copy and paste it somewhere else, so I took a risk)
2. I had to reboot and it got back up as fast as normal but with no status bar.
3. I tried for an hour to move the new signed SystemUI.apk where it belonged. No success.
4. I restored the old SystemUI.apk so that I could try again at this tomorrow.
5. About five minutes ago I turned the thing off and tried to restart it, it's been on the silver Android screen since then. Now it's refusing to start for no reason.

Help me. Please, help me, before I hang myself.

Last edited:

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
Is there any way you can flash Honeycomb onto this? I don't want to upgrade to ICS just yet - it's too new for my likings (I like to wait a good half-year or more before upgrading to a new software platform like that), but Honeycomb has been around for a while and Gingerbread is aging. Plus, I'd like to use some of the tablet-specific applications that Honeycomb supports.

NicksTab

Feb 2, 2012
Hey ALMAZ - Would you mind sharing the link for the ICS 4.0.3 download?
I know KELLMAN sez he had issues with 4.0.1 and went back to 2.3. Is 4.0.3 pretty stable and app compatible???

My 760 arrives from NewEgg on Wed (8th) and I'm trying to stuff as much info into my brain (it hurts!) so when the 'tabby' arrives I have a game plan on what/how to set it up best.
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and links.

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
Hey guys, I created a script to get Market working and Root the device for ICS 4.0.3. It should probably work for this device as well as long it's got ICS 4.0.3 take a look [SCRIPTS] - Allwinner A10 ICS 4.0.3 Root & Market Fix v0.4 (by Almaz) - SlateDroid.com
What version of 4.0.3 are you using, do you have a link to the Firmware you put on the Iview? Does adobe flash work correctly? The MOMO9 version of 4.0.1 already had Android Market installed, it also still had 1.3GB of Data space for Apps.

Last edited:

collinp

Jan 1, 2012
Got my CyPad today. It took a little getting used to before I could use it effectively. I had to sideload many of the applications I planned on using, but most of the "common" applications are available. It's certainly not the most well-polished device I've used, but for $130, I didn't expect the best of the best. It's well worth the money I paid for it.

I'm having a problem that I can't solve though - I can't make Skype use the front camera, and the Camera app crashes every time I try to use it. I was hoping to use the front camera as a self-portrait type of camera - I don't care much about a forward-facing camera. The device acts almost like the camera isn't even there. Can anyone assist me with this problem?

stinkeye22

Feb 4, 2012
Thank's to everyone who has posted, I am definitely a noob and this is my first tablet. Havent run many charging cycles but oh yeah the battery seems to go fast. For my first & only tab for a while I'm thrilled though. I rooted my atrix last month after a week of studying forums and listening to users like you, so thanks again. I've disabled the phone and telephony apks. But I've heard cm7, ice cream sandwich & honeycomb tossed around for roms that work fairly well but havent picked on a general consensus of the easiest, best one. Anybody care to make suggestions?

Almaz

Jan 13, 2012
I'm trying to decide between Sony PRS-T1 Ereader $130 vs 760TPC. Mainly I need it to use for reading Ebooks. How many hours 760TPC would last me reading ebook on a single charge? Thanks in advance.
zhaojh.jpg
zhaoht.jpg
zhaogd.jpg
zhaojh.jpg
zhaoht.jpg
zhaogd.jpg
zhaojh.jpg
zhaoht.jpg
zhaogd.jpg
zhaojh.jpg
zhaoht.jpg
zhaogd.jpg

I would suggest choosing between Sony PRS-T1 vs Ainol Elf/Aurora 3700mah battery or Kindle Fire 4400mah battery. 760TPC has only 3000 mah battery

NicksTab

Feb 2, 2012
Havent run many charging cycles but oh yeah the battery seems to go fast. .... I've disabled the phone and telephony apks. But I've heard cm7, ice cream sandwich & honeycomb tossed around for roms that work fairly well but havent picked on a general consensus of the easiest, best one. Anybody care to make suggestions?

Howdy Stinkeye and Welcome to the Forum!
Battery life should improve with a few proper charging cycles. Check this link. How to Take Care of your Tablet Battery... | Top Notch Tablets
I was originally excited to flash ICS (4.0) with its cool new look and features but I've read too many threads with problems and even that it uses more power (cuts into battery life again) so I'm gonna stick with Gingerbread (2.3) for a while untill ICS gets smoothed out. Good luck with Honeycomb (3.0) - haven't read of ANY tablets running it. Seems to be just for the phones - not sure what the problem is?

Last edited:

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Got my CyPad today. It took a little getting used to before I could use it effectively. I had to sideload many of the applications I planned on using, but most of the "common" applications are available. It's certainly not the most well-polished device I've used, but for $130, I didn't expect the best of the best. It's well worth the money I paid for it.

I'm having a problem that I can't solve though - I can't make Skype use the front camera, and the Camera app crashes every time I try to use it. I was hoping to use the front camera as a self-portrait type of camera - I don't care much about a forward-facing camera. The device acts almost like the camera isn't even there. Can anyone assist me with this problem?

Hmm.. looks like there is a new version of the 760tpc which has 8gb storage and a 2mp camera. And it has a new firmware out (I wouldn't use this if you have 4gb model). This maybe why the camera app is crashing.

You should probably contact iView to figure out if you need that update.

---

It's great they upgraded the 760tpc, but I do feel a bit annoyed that barely one month later they doubled the storage.

amajonesy

Feb 8, 2012
I just registered with the forum so I could stop in and thank you all for your recommendations on NewEgg and also for your help, here. Based on your recommendations, I purchased the iView and love it. This is my first experience with a tablet and I am learning a lot. I have yet to deal with the low battery issue, I haven't had time. I am sure it will be no problem once I get the time because you all gave such great directions. Meanwhile, I am having one small issue that I would love some help on. The screen protector that came with the tablet is falling off and needs replacement. The problem is that I can't find the right one to buy. There doesn't seem to be a screen protector for the iView. Is there a tablet that has a compatible screen out there, so I can just buy that protector and put it on the iView? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

NicksTab

Feb 2, 2012
. . . The screen protector that came with the tablet is falling off and needs replacement. The problem is that I can't find the right one to buy. There doesn't seem to be a screen protector for the iView. Is there a tablet that has a compatible screen out there, so I can just buy that protector and put it on the iView? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Hi amajonesy and Welcome to the Forum!

The protector film that comes on the screen from the factory is (I believe) only there to protect it during assembly and shipping and is meant to be removed by the consumer when you unpack it. Most consumer electronics have similar clear films applied like that.
You won't likely find screen protectors specifically for the iView 760 - I plan to just buy generic 7" tablet screen protectors from eBay and do any custom trimming if needed.
Enjoy your new tablet!

amajonesy

Feb 8, 2012
Thanks NicksTab. I had a feeling that is what I would have to do. Sadly Im not good at custom cutting. I was hoping to find something that would be close enough to work without adjustments. Thanks again. I appreciate you guys more than you know.

J

jimbo7630

I wouldn't worry unduly about a custom screen protector, unless you are going to use plastic or similar possibly abrasive styli you should have no problem.

EggsTyrone

Jan 21, 2012
Has anyone tried the firmware update listed several posts above? IVIEWUS -
I just received my iView, and I LOVE IT! Apparently, they are now out of stock at newegg.com. I guess I got one of the last ones.

Before attempting the firmware upgrade, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to ruin my brand new tablet. I have trust issues with firmware updates. Any info? Does this simply add the camera function to the phone? Mine does not work in the current state.