Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Same here.

I am also in the same situation with my Craig . wifi error. has anyone tried to uninstall Zeam using security guard? will that reconfig the tablet back to original specs ?

only thing is wrong with mine is i cant deinstall the Android security app.

Iv sent 10 emails to Craig asking where i can get the firmware for CMP738B. Iv only gotten 1 email back telling me the specs of the CMP738B. Im going to keep email them until they tell me or they post it on there site. I dont think there 1 person up there that knows anything about tablets.

Last edited:

bandarlog

Dec 21, 2011
Has anyone opened a unit and noted the wifi chipset (or made a high-res photo of the board(s))? (I'll do it if I *have* to, but I get a bit squeamish about opening the cases to these commodity electronics--they always seem to have scads o' hidden tabs just waiting to get broken off...)

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Has anyone opened a unit and noted the wifi chipset (or made a high-res photo of the board(s))? (I'll do it if I *have* to, but I get a bit squeamish about opening the cases to these commodity electronics--they always seem to have scads o' hidden tabs just waiting to get broken off...)

I posted 2 pic of the inside of mine. Look on the Craig main thread.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B Rooted with working Android Market and Android Tablet Forum

jcasterline

Jan 1, 2012
I've read all these posts (I think). I think I have a possible solution, but it requires a little forethought...

These tablets obviously have atleast 2 different wifi chipsets. For my example, lets assume 2: Type A, and Type B. Lets call everyone that has working wifi Type A. Non working wifi Type B.
The images here are probably packed with the driver for 'Type A.' It would make sense that if you update a 'Type B' with the image for 'Type A,' the correct drivers are never loaded. I am also assuming that the 'Original Restore' image would have the driver for a 'Type A,' so it wouldnt work with the 'Type B' unit.
I hope I havent lost anyone yet...
To fix all of the 'Type B' units, someone needs to extract the driver from the tablet BEFORE updating to the 'Type A' image.
I have no clue as to how the rom kitchen thing works, but somehow add the 'Type B' driver to the image.
I am wondering if the image can have both drivers, or does there need to be 2 or more images?
I have this tablet, UnModded. I cant tell which wifi mine has, but I am willing to attempt to extract the necessary file(s) and share with anyone willing to rebuild the rom. All I need is some instructions on where to start. It would also be helpful to explain how to make a custom backup, so we can take matters into our own hands as far as backups go.
I hope my train of thought hasnt derailed anyone...

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
I've read all these posts (I think). I think I have a possible solution, but it requires a little forethought...

These tablets obviously have atleast 2 different wifi chipsets. For my example, lets assume 2: Type A, and Type B. Lets call everyone that has working wifi Type A. Non working wifi Type B.
The images here are probably packed with the driver for 'Type A.' It would make sense that if you update a 'Type B' with the image for 'Type A,' the correct drivers are never loaded. I am also assuming that the 'Original Restore' image would have the driver for a 'Type A,' so it wouldnt work with the 'Type B' unit.
To fix all of the 'Type B' units, someone needs to extract the driver from the tablet BEFORE updating to the 'Type A' image.
I have no clue as to how the rom kitchen thing works, but somehow add the 'Type B' driver to the image.
I am wondering if the image can have both drivers, or does there need to be 2 or more images?
I have this tablet, UnModded. I cant tell which wifi mine has, but I am willing to attempt to extract the necessary file(s) and share with anyone willing to rebuild the rom. All I need is some instructions on where to start. It would also be helpful to explain how to make a custom backup, so we can take matters into our own hands as far as backups go.

LMAO check new thread, I just completed the same train of thought.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011

Have you opened yous up yet? its easy to do if your carefull.

jcasterline

Jan 1, 2012
I dont plan on ever opening mine, unless theres a wad of 20's in there....
Mine is still under warrantee. Dont fix what aint broke. I'm sure I can find out what the driver is without cracking the case.
It also crossed my mind; what if there are more than 2 kinds of wifi chips? Cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess....

Also, If you want me to see another forum, please drop me a link.

jda78

Dec 29, 2011
Go to the link that Salty has posted. It has a rom you can download and try. It restored mine to the original state AND restored the wifi/cleared the error problem. Next is rooted rom with this update, hopefully. :)

If you already have a brick, it won't hurt to try it.

Last edited:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Sucks that they up 2 different wifi hardwares in the same model of tablet. Kinda dumb and a bad idea. No wonder they havent put up the firmware on the web site.

jda78

Dec 29, 2011
Well, two of these were purchased for me and my father-in-law. First strange thing that i noticed was that AC charging adapters were completely different. It almost sounds like they were buying wholesale lots of leftovers and throwing them together.

vdubbus77

Nov 29, 2011
Sucks that they up 2 different wifi hardwares in the same model of tablet. Kinda dumb and a bad idea. No wonder they havent put up the firmware on the web site.

When you get a chance can you edit your original post to include instructions on how to tell the difference between wifi units. Add the Rom Meepinator Posted as the original rom for realtek hardware. I will PM you the link to the 8188 realtek rooted rom.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Edit complete.
Everyone please thank Vdubb and others who helped with this. :)