Craig CMP738B Root with working Android Market and Clean ROM IMG file

jda78

Dec 29, 2011
Realtek root is successful. Slight wifi weirdness when first trying to connect. Remember to turn wifi off before rooting! Excellent job to all involved!

Sent from my cmp738b using Android Tablet Forum

Steamers77

Jan 3, 2012
I have figured out that I have a craig cmp738b with realtek wifi. I want to update this with the rom from your site. However I want to create a dump file (backup) of my system first. How would I do this??

I couldn't find a thread that addresses this. Please help.

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
I have figured out that I have a craig cmp738b with realtek wifi. I want to update this with the rom from your site. However I want to create a dump file (backup) of my system first. How would I do this??

I couldn't find a thread that addresses this. Please help.

The 2nd post of this thread outlines how to dump your ROM, it can be a bit confusing if you are new to the process, but if you read over everything before starting it shouldn't be too very difficult.

meepinator

Jan 1, 2012
I have realtek wifi on mine, even if I turn it off before flushing will it still kill my wifi?
Thanks!

Everything is working great with mine, and I didn't even have my wifi turned off, so I really have no idea if that even has an effect.

flash180

Jan 4, 2012
I did everything as directed and when it starts to upgrade firmware. it syas finding and checking firmware.. the says E: check failed below that. whats wrong?

bmic99

Dec 6, 2011
Nice I had previously flashed flushrooted .img and had no success with 2 prior craig tabs. I swapped them out and got two more cmp738b's both had realtek wifi, (so did previous ones)... The new REALTEKROOT .img on very first post worked like a charm with these replacement tablets...

I didn't disable wifi, I left all setting the way they were...only thing I did do was a factory reset. I had wifi connected, mounted with usb, turned off usbstorage after unmounting on pc... plugged in sdcard which then mounted on pc (made sure it was empty) also deleted personal files on internal sd (2gb onebuilt in) once realtekrooted738b.img copied over, I simpily renamed to update.img. ... FINALLY crossing fingers I unmounted usb storage from pc first then checked usb host check, and waited for firmware update prompt to install, I hit yes and waited like 5-6 mins...

On very first boot there was no need to reboot again i simpily went into settings into Wireless & networks, and WALA!!! my wifi was working fine!!! omg this is wonderful. Connected to my DIR-825 Access Point. at first it detected it fine or w/e... I did have to connect wait a second while for somereason sometimes it says disconnected or w/e SO a simple "Close WIFI" then "OPEN WIFI" with the WiFi app, and with that I went back into settings and watched it Secessfully Connect in like 5 seconds.

Now that it seems to be working wonderfully I am now going to reboot anyway just to be safe b/c it prolly is a good idea anyway, so yeah!.... THANKS YOU FOR THIS ROOT, now time to really use this tablet. b/c holy cow craig stock rom is SLOW AS Malassis ... i think thats how you spell it... :) to lazy to google lol.

Again I want to thank the person who threw this ROM together... now flashing second tablet.... brb and will post results... ps.. (dont know if it matters but my tablets are both manufactured aug2011... both have realtek wifi..... and both report the 8188 in settings under security guard app)

later!! wohooo:D

*UPDATE* just flashed my second Craig CMP738b w/realtek wifi and both secessfully connected to wifi!!!! now that i can gain root access anyone have a good tutorial on how to manage partitions or change partition sizes? this internal storage of only 180mb sucks and if possible I would like to increase that to whatever is possible, if that is even possible....

I have one tablet with a 8gb sd card and the other has a 32gb sd card... i seen some posts on people having problems accessing the internal 2.5gb for anything other then storage is there anyway past this limitation of only being able to address only one of them for data usage... I know I can move files manually to /mnt/sdcard/ and there it points to the internal sd? and from there I can go to the /external_sd/ folder and access my mounted 8/32gb sdcard.....

and like when you use move to sd device with apps or w/e it copys to either /mnt/asec/ and or a folder /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure/ are both /mnt/asec/ and the folder /.android_secure/ one in the same? if so is it possible to move the /.android_secure/ data to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure/ so it resides on mem chip insted of taking up the little bit of internal storge that it does have... sorry if i lost you with this nonsences but any help would be appericated!!!

thanks again for REALTEKROOT for cmp738b..... now waits for someone to create android 3.0 ROM if possible!!!!!!! laters

Last edited:

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Im working on 3.0 for the cmp738b with ralink right now. I think im almost done. I hope in a week or 2 ill be done with it. I havent tested it yet. Been busy with other things. So maybe ill have a chance to test this weekend.

bmic99

Dec 6, 2011
hey there m3red now that i got a working root for realtek you think if you get that up and running secessfully you can write up a tutorial of the steps you are taking... somewhat detailed if possible so i can do the same for the realtek version of this device? reason I say this b/c its not like i can edit a stock rom of version 3.0 and root it, i would have to create using andriod sdk tools ect.? i take it thats how your doing it?!!? or would it be as easy as changing your ROM with ratlink wifi with drivers for realtek?

also if you have any good websites you are currently using to create your rom? much appericated. if you do have a bunch of usefull andorid sites or usefull guides think you could hit me up in a pm with a list of sites? I dont want to hijack this post with non related stuff.... last week there were only 3 pages and now its up to 15... but atleast the problem was solved....

I was so pissed when i rooted with ratlink driver root.img and ended up with wifi error and was stuck with a broke tab.. i must have spent hours and hours trying to find info for this cmp738b device and the harder i looked the less i found it was all 738a information.... thank god after christmas i guess a bunch of us got this tablet to finally make some very usefull information b/c before christmas there was NOTHING.,.. i was pissed but im glad to see the community was on top of the ISSUES with the 738b and now its pretty much solved. now all we need is a good list of apps and tools for this device... YES I know there are good apps out there but the CRAIG is slow... heck angrybirds season is unplayable b/c they dont allow you to turn off the backround like the original angry birds! bah... yeah we need a list of good performing applications for this bugger.