Curtis klu LT8025

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry for sounding dumb on this but I can't seem to find a place to DL cpuboost, since Market is not working for me and it's not in the other working app markets. Link possibly?

I have the Tipster app pack as well (but not seeing it in there).

Thanks.

Try in this pack Tipstir's - | Power Collection Package 282 | 3/15/11 it's listed as "com.conap.cpuboost.apk"

Since the device is going to stay at Android 2.1update1 for sometime, you could use this method to obtain a working Market. Many users have worked through the frustrating process but have succeeded. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/4229-how-get-working-google-market.html

Last edited:

toomuch

May 21, 2011
This link takes me to a web site that requires personal information to be entered in order to obtain this software.
I do not wish to give me personal information to any web site especially the details this site requires.

I will do without unless anyone has a link where it can be downloaded without having to give out all my personal details to an unknown website.

Thx

Sorry to bug everyone, but I get excited about this stuff...Here is a link from TIPSTER - It has an entire collecttion - Download as ZIP and put on USB - Then import to TF/SD card and install, or install directly from USB.

Tipstir's - | Power Collection Package 282 | 3/15/11

toomuch

May 21, 2011
I know that some people cannot afford an ipad2, I was actually going to buy one before I bought this KLU tablet, however I went to best buy, the apple store and all other stores when it came out and they were all sold out, to this date I put my name down on the wait list at best buy and walmart, the earliest date I can get an ipad2 is November 23rd 2011 and that is an ATT model at some $700, if I want a wifi only model they will not be available until May or June 2012.
I gave up because I do not want to wait that long but in my market area that's how long the wait list is so I got a Curtis KLU 0825, I have to say after playing with it for a couple of weeks it is a load of junk.
My grandmother could get to google.com in her wheelchair faster than this thing can connect to it on a wifi connection.
Pretty much junk, don't bother with it.

I think that like a lot of these relatively first gen Android tablets these aren't exactly "ready for Grandma."

A lot of tweaks and frustration goes into owning one of these tablets. But then if you are reading this forum, you are a glutton for said treatment (or, you are too cheap to buy an iPad (aka, Me). :)

That said, the best use for the included earphones that come with the Klu8025 are as toys for your parrot; or consdier attaching some feathers too them and give 'em to your cat to chew on.

Enjoy!

aFriend

May 27, 2011
Not too long ago, I got a 1st gen iPad on the cheap (as in less than your first born but you can't afford to have a second born) and got hooked on the tablet experience.

So I decided to start looking at the android choices (think Xoom, Galaxy, etc.). It wasn't until I saw that Big Lots was selling a tablet that I started to look into the low-end tablets like the Klu, Curtis cmp738 and the maylong.

While I would like to start with a Curtis (can't find it at any CVS; only found an e-reader at 1 of 5 stores) I'm going to give this a try and pick one up tomorrow. Biggest reason being the 20% discount I have available and the ease with return if I get a bum unit

Plan to use it mostly as a netbook replacement, which means mostly web surfing and watching videos. Pretty much just for convenience of web access. And from the other posts, it seems like tipsters pack should provide enough tools to improve Klu's performance and make it a good experience. Having said that, I'm open to other tablet suggestions that could be better at this similar price point, which is going to be about $120+tax for me.

This will be my first time in a LONG time that I'll be tweaking a gadget so hopefully I don't brick it. Heck, this will be my first Android gadget EVER!

Jimsworld

May 23, 2011
Hey Toomuch,
The reason you can't use the Klu effectively is because you are Klu-less. :)

Just jibing you - seriously, follow my notes and you'll experience an altogether different tablet.

Here's what you do.
- Download the Tipster download set
- Install Launcher Pro
- Install Univeral Androot
- Install CPUBoost and set to 614400/768000
- Install Skyfire and Dolphin Mini and Opera Mobile (try each)
- Set up your "Accounts and Sync" gmail account
- Create an account at Amazon if you haven't already
- Install Amazon App Store, http://amazon.com/appstore
- Install K-9 Mail
- Turn off, then turn on tablet -- Have fun!

IOW it's not all that bad-- Hey, I'm up to like 100k on Angry Birds. What can I tell ya...

Last edited:

efh777

Apr 18, 2011
Well, I spent a couple of days after I bricked my Curtis KLU LT8025. I downloaded every firmware I could find, and tried reloading O/S. It still reacted the same (Blue Linux Penguin, White Blinking Screen). I called Curtis. They are pretty clueless on the device. They suggested the SLIDEME market for updates. Probably negotiatioed with some company to release a tablet, but not support it.
Ended up geting a RA (Return Authorization) and sent it in to Vernon Hills, Illinois. Stated it would take up to 7 weeks. That kind of sucks. But have a Herotab C8 that I love to play with while I wait.. Although The Curtis LT8025 seems similar to other tablets, no one seems to have the answers to upgrades...I guess they are happy with their tablets.
I respect Tipster and company, but I guess I can't expect them to do everything for free. So I sent it back for repair. I considered holding on to it, and experimenting with it, but for $20 to get it fixed seemed worthwhile.. Hopefully have upgraded working software when it is returned.
I was able to get Market to work, but not Flash. Skyfire browser did Flash, so i could watch Videos...but not as convenient as the Froyo 2.2 Herotab.
I kind of sucks that the upgrade would be so radically different from other similar tablets. The Infotmic chips should be the same. With 1Gb Processor, I cannot figure out why the LT8025 won't upgrade to 2.2. Does it just take a brave soul??? I would consider sending the unit to them to play with (for Free!!!)...let me know if some one is interested who can try to upgrade the unit.
This was my second tablet. I bought a APAD on ebay - 500Mhz Chip, 7" Android 1.6 - sold it on ebay. Love my Herotab C8 - Wish it had Bluetooth...but it works with Flash, so I am happy.
My suggestions to fellow readers...The Curtis KLU is a decent tablet - Great 8" 4:3 screen, but WIFI not too great, and Resistive (Single Touch) screen. Use a Pencil, or decent Stylus with rubber end.. I would hold out for Capacitive Touch, Bluetooth, Front/Back Cameras, Big Battery, 2.2 Froyo or 2.3 Gingerbread o/s tablet. I see ads. My Herotab cost about $200 with shipping. The $150 Curtis KLU is decent, but 2.2 would make it rock.
One nice thing, it includes a Dongle for Ethernet/USB connectivity. My Herotab does not support Ethernet...Wifi/usb only. Ethernt makes it nice to sideload apps from FTP or network.
I know the Honeycomb 3.1 tablets are coming...that will be the next sweet spot. But for $150 bucks, at least you are in the game with the KLU. Angry Birds rocks.

Last edited:

efh777

Apr 18, 2011
Hey, for $120, it is a steal. I would use it, and don't try upgrades. Tipster's power packs, Freeapplovers, and others, I was able to load about 100 apps. I bricked mine trying to upgrade to 2.2. I bought a Herotab C8 - Cap touch, Froyo 2.2 - 7" - It works great. But it was $200. So for $120, I would definitely buy the KLU for playing and web surfing...plus it has 2 Micro SD slots, so buy some 8Gb cards and load movies and music. Books also. You can have Kindle, B&N, or other generic book reader.
Sent mine back after bricking. Suggestion - Keep the box and all the packaging. Big Lots won't take it back without them.
After that, you have to go to Curtis. Don't expect help from them. 3 different techs were worthless. Good luck and Have fun. BTW, my local big lots sold out, but got more in 6 weeks later, so it is still an active seller.

efh777

Apr 18, 2011
Jimworld,
I am indeed KLU-LESS. I tried to upgrade my KLU, and bricked it. Sent it back to be fixed. I know there are a lot of smarter people than me on the Tablet network. I wish someone would PROVE their smartness and come up with a workable upgrade. I will take your advise above (Thank you for that!). The KLU is a decent tablet, so I am holding a challenge to any of you. If you need a device to play with, I will send you mine, if you think you can upgrade it. I may be stupid, but I can't believe they have CUSTOM chips in the thing, compared to FLYTOUCH, or ther such tablets. Are they so specific that no other Firmware can work, is the firmware so specific (LIKE BIOS) that it must be customized for each chip/tablet?
I know it is the nature of Internet Blogging to Ridicule. But I have the utmost respect for TIPSTER, because he allowed us to delve into his world, and he seems to care about others, by posting useful suggestions. I wish more people would do that.
Again, thank you for your contrubution.
Eric - efh777

aFriend

May 27, 2011
Well, tried to buy the Klu today and was told they were being recalled. They mentioned that they were getting a bunch of returns so they wouldn't sell me one. These were OC stores

Called a couple other stores and they told me the same thing. Looks like this decision must have just come down as they weren't saying this yesterday. They'll ship back current stock but don't know if they will get replacement units

So, back to square one for me. Gotta restart the search.

toomuch

May 21, 2011
I downloaded the pack but it does not have a launcher pro in it, there are several files named ADK launcher, is this the one?

toomuch

May 21, 2011
OK the superuser thing bricked it, gonna try and get this thing back up and running, will let you all know how successful I am.

The Result: somehow the superuser app did something and it wouldn't boot, I have no clue what or how it did it, I was not able to reboot so eventually I took the TF card out and it rebooted, I can only figure that something happened to the card, anyway I reformatted the card using a PC and put it back in, everything seems normal again except that I have no apps of course.

On and one large sigh of relief.

Hey Toomuch,
The reason you can't use the Klu effectively is because you are Klu-less. :)

Just jibing you - seriously, follow my notes and you'll experience an altogether different tablet.

Here's what you do.
- Download the Tipster download set
- Install Launcher Pro
- Install Univeral Androot
- Install CPUBoost and set to 614400/768000
- Install Skyfire and Dolphin Mini and Opera Mobile (try each)
- Set up your "Accounts and Sync" gmail account
- Create an account at Amazon if you haven't already
- Install Amazon App Store, http://amazon.com/appstore
- Install K-9 Mail
- Turn off, then turn on tablet -- Have fun!

IOW it's not all that bad-- Hey, I'm up to like 100k on Angry Birds. What can I tell ya...

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Jimworld,
I am indeed KLU-LESS. I tried to upgrade my KLU, and bricked it. Sent it back to be fixed. I know there are a lot of smarter people than me on the Tablet network. I wish someone would PROVE their smartness and come up with a workable upgrade. I will take your advise above (Thank you for that!). The KLU is a decent tablet, so I am holding a challenge to any of you. If you need a device to play with, I will send you mine, if you think you can upgrade it. I may be stupid, but I can't believe they have CUSTOM chips in the thing, compared to FLYTOUCH, or ther such tablets. Are they so specific that no other Firmware can work, is the firmware so specific (LIKE BIOS) that it must be customized for each chip/tablet?
I know it is the nature of Internet Blogging to Ridicule. But I have the utmost respect for TIPSTER, because he allowed us to delve into his world, and he seems to care about others, by posting useful suggestions. I wish more people would do that.
Again, thank you for your contrubution.
Eric - efh777
Not stupid, see the infoTM Hardware Id's post.

Jimsworld

May 23, 2011
Yes, writing was on the wall for this...
When I went out and searched for the Klu they were all "open boxes," which I assume means less technically savy folks just gave up and returned them.
At the 3rd store I went too there were some still wrapped in plastic... whoohoo! lucky me.

Either way, the only way the Klu can be made function IMHO is due to Tipsters efforts. Without his "pack" the thing would be pretty worthless (useability wise).

Really looking forward the 2.2 update though, if and when that ever happens.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Scuter

Apr 27, 2011
I have the same Clu by Curtis, 8". The original browser is so slow, no matter the connection , so I have download the Dolphin Broser (Dolphin HD and Dolphin Lite version) That is the fastest Android browser I have tried, and the speed is amazing, compared to the original installed browser. Check the link. :eek: