CyanogenMod Discussion [ROMS] [Kernels] [Versions]

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I posted a question elsewhere but realized this is where it should go. I installed the latest stable release - 7.1.0 - and have been having major issues. It powers down on its own and I have trouble powering it up. At first I thought it was a battery issue because it needed to charge for a while before I would be able to turn it back on. It's now been plugged in for 12 hours and I still can't turn it back on. I had backed up the previous ROM and will reload it, but I need to be able to power up first. Any suggestions as to how I can achieve that?

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Check your power button and make sure it isn't stuck. Might need to slip a finger nail or small object under it and gently pop it back out. To try and get it to power on plug it into the pc with the usb. That should start the boot sequence.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Check your power button and make sure it isn't stuck. Might need to slip a finger nail or small object under it and gently pop it back out. To try and get it to power on plug it into the pc with the usb. That should start the boot sequence.

The power button doesn't seem to be stuck. It definitely moves when I press it in. I also tried plugging the Nook into my laptop's usb port and that did nothing.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Another possibility is that your sceen is just black and you are actually powered on but can't see it. Try hodling the power button for like 15 seconds to make sure it truns off. Then hold it for like 5 seconds to turn it back on. If that doesn't work try holding the power button for around 15 seconds to turn it off then follow this to make a bootable recovery card http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...msd-v3-0-1-0-higher-ext3-ext4-compatible.html.

Once you have powered off instert the card and power on to see if it boots. If so at least you are in recovery and can them reflash things to see if you can get working again.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions! The first option worked. So the screen was just dark? Do I need to revert to my prior ROM or is this just as simple as a setting that needs to be adjusted?

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Might just be a setting or a glitch. You can adjust the screen brightness under settings. This is not a known issue with the ROM though so you shouldn't need to revert. See if it does it again now that you got rebooted. If so you may need to install again to correct the glitch.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
There is definitely something wonky going on. Before reinstalling the ROM, I wanted to do a Titanium Backup. I just did one last week, but wanted to do another. I got a message saying I was out of space on my SD card. First I tried taking out the SD card and plugging an adaptor into my laptop. The disk never popped up in Finder. I put the SD card back into the Nook and plugged the device into my computer. It also did not show up in Finder, and there was no indication on the Nook that it was plugged in. I figured my week-old backup was enough, so I reflashed the ROM anyway. I restored the backup but it appears that none of my settings carried over. When I restored this same backup last week it worked perfectly. I tried again to plug the Nook into my computer and there is still no indication that it is plugged in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I rebooted both the Nook and my computer, and I am now copying my SD card to a bigger one. The remaining question is, why didn't the Titanium backup restore correctly?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Strange indeed. How big is the current card? 1GB or less and I could see having those problems.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you just using it as a data card (not as a bootable card for example)? Is the card formatted correctly so that all 4GB shows up when you insert the card into the Nook? Have you put a ton of file/apps on it so that the second TB doesn't fit? If you go to Setting>Storage it will tell you how much space is available.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Are you just using it as a data card (not as a bootable card for example)? Is the card formatted correctly so that all 4GB shows up when you insert the card into the Nook? Have you put a ton of file/apps on it so that the second TB doesn't fit? If you go to Setting>Storage it will tell you how much space is available.

1. I am using it as a data card and am not booting from it
2. All 4GB show up
3. The card is full, which is why I could not do a new TB. The problem is I tried to restore from a backup that restored perfectly a week ago.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My best guess is that between the previous restore and now you filled up whatever little space TB writes to on the card when doing a restore. Since the app doesn't have a temp directory it can write to the backup fails. You can try temporarily moving some stuff to internal memory or to the pc to free up some space and then see if it will restore from the back up.