DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You can attempt to go back to stock, if a system dump was made prior to mucking around with Livesuite. Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck due to Livesuite essentially rewriting everything.

escher

Dec 27, 2012
unfortunately, I did not perform a system dump first, and just had followed the livesuite directions. To bad I didnt come across this site first...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Coby has changed the innards on the 9742 at least three times. In the Development Index and Root Utility sticky we have a list of 9742 system dumps covering the second and third versions of the 9742 (of which mine is the third version), so all is not lost here. Making your own dump before using Livesuite would have made it impossible to flash the wrong version and render something inoperative, like the touchscreen. However, you can try the dumps in the sticky and from there you might achieve success.

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
Clockwork Mod is not starting after installing it on my tablet. I have the Coby MID8042 I don't know if I'm installing it wrong or its just not working. After installing it its supposed to automatically startup so I can backup but only the android recovery system comes up. Please help. I have tried hitting vol+ and vol- and power but android recovery comes up.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Clockwork Mod is not starting after installing it on my tablet. I have the Coby MID8042 I don't know if I'm installing it wrong or its just not working. After installing it its supposed to automatically startup so I can backup but only the android recovery system comes up. Please help. I have tried hitting vol+ and vol- and power but android recovery comes up.

Need more info. what steps did you take to get where you are ? What operating system is your PC ? Is ADB setup ? What program did you run ?

1Nate321

Dec 28, 2012
I have followed the steps in this forum http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html. I have used ADB setup and installed Clockwork Mod. I have windows 8 and I don't know what you mean by what program you ran. ADB said that the installation was complete and it was going to reboot the tablet. The steps in that forum told me that it was automatically going to boot into Clockwork Mod so I can make a backup of the ROM. It didn't do that. It just had the android with red exclamation. But I could boot into android system recovery. I have tried almost everything to get the clockwork mod going. Including pressing the volume keys plus power key. Sorry if I'm not making sense this is my first root.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Ok. The program you are using is the root and dump utility from this Thread. So you tried to install CWM recovery but still have stock recovery. Did you follow all the steps ? Did you get your system dump ?

lunarminx

Dec 30, 2012
No, I can't. Working with compressed files is basic stuff you should already know how to do. If you don't, Google it.

I haven't finished reading through this thread but this answer is completely elitist. On my coby 8042 the default extraction folder goes into Mnt/sdcard/speedsoftware/extracted, so technically that is a directory. If in your post, you forgot to say which directory to copy/extract the files to, suck it up and say data. Don't say this is light weight stuff and if you can't extract a file, don't try this. That is not what he asked, which directory to place the files. We know having to state the obvious gets very trying but the people coming here to learn might just say forget this. As to Googling it, your instructions may come up in that google search, which helps no one. When you give instructions for something, its basically to teach someone how to do it. They can not learn how to do it, if the instructions are not clear.

I have spent much time trying to figure this out, trying to find a program called clockworkmod. I found your post that shows a d/l for imgs but not a program to install, so I do not even know if I have the right apk. Even the post about it is vague. I am tablet illiterate, that is why I chose this site to learn from. I must have chose the wrong site.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My roommate knows how to work with compressed files. She does not know how to root her devices. So she asks me to do it.

Why? Because she doesn't understand the process, even if I explain it. If she were to attempt to do the job herself she would brick her devices.

It is absolutely vital that you not only read everything, but to understand it as well. If you attempt to do the work without understanding what you're doing, you will turn your tablet into a very expensive paperweight. If you don't know how to work with compressed files, you have no business rooting your tablet.

If preventing you from destroying your tablet is elitist, then that's a label I'm more than happy to wear.

lunarminx

Dec 30, 2012
And again, giving incomplete directions is an incompetent move. Egos need to be removed when you decide your job is to teach someone. If you provide step by step instructions that are clear and understandable and a person follows then to the T, no way they could brick a device. The people that brick their devices are the ones following unclear directions.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There are over a thousand people who have successfully used this tool to get the job done, simply by reading and following the directions that are given. If you believe those instructions to be incomplete, then nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

Since this discussion is going nowhere, I'm done speaking with you on this topic.

frostee

Feb 2, 2013
Would like to get help. I have successfully rooted and installed CWM but cannot enter the recovery screen using the button combinations below. Am I doing something wrong? Both with just bring me back to the lock screen after the device boots up. I'm using a Coby Kyros 7042. I'm also seeing the "Safe Mode" at the lower left of the screen.Thanks.

• Hold down "volume -" and "power" until the recovery appears.
  • Hold down "volume -", "back", and "power" until the recovery appears.

Last edited:

samersh

Sep 11, 2012
Would like to get help. I have successfully rooted and installed CWM but cannot enter the recovery screen using the button combinations below. Am I doing something wrong? Both with just bring me back to the lock screen after the device boots up. I'm using a Coby Kyros 7042. I'm also seeing the "Safe Mode" at the lower left of the screen.Thanks.

• Hold down "volume -" and "power" until the recovery appears.
  • Hold down "volume -", "back", and "power" until the recovery appears.
Hold down volume up and volume down + power button