DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I personally found Chrome to not work all that well on this tablet. I still believe the best browser available for our tablets is Opera Mobile. The only thing I don't like about Opera Mobile is that access to bookmarks isn't as convenient as for Dolphin. Other than that, it works well.

What do you mean when you say "Chrome doesn't want to be installed"? Are you getting an error message trying to install it?

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
I wanna mean that on google play is a box saying that chrome is not compatible with my device, but i had it installed and running before cwm and root it.It also happens with maps, blogger, gmail, wikipedia mobile, and don't know with other apps

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ahhhh...gotcha. You have missing permissions files which, if added, should fix the bulk of those issues. You can download a set from the links in my signature. However, make sure you make a nandroid backup of your current setup before doing anything, and remove the build.prop from the zip you download from the link. The included build.prop works on the 9742 but not other tablets due to hardware differences. In the good news department, the changes to the build.prop can be imported to your build.prop from your tablet, which should help things out.

Mrdaviso

Mar 29, 2011
Does anyone else have reboots when accessing asec or .androidssecure ? Whenever I try to write to it that's what happens. Multiple roms do this on both my7042's

So say for instance, nfs shift was installed no problem, then uninstall and try to reinstall through play/market it reboots then finishes install or angry birds at I beat a level for the second time and boom reboots. It will do this to whatever app that has data in asec. Any tips/info as to what may cause this or is anyone else dealing with this?

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using Xparent Blue 2
My Race Videos

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
hi taveller! sorry but i have no idea what to do with the files in your signature. i downloaded them, and...what do i do now??

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Copy the XML files to /system/etc/permissions, set the permissions on them (using a file manager like ES File Manager) to rw-r--r--, and reboot.

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
some doubts:

1.- do i have to copy the xml´s on "/system/etc/permissions" or "/etc/permissions??"
2.- do i have to copy the xml´s one each time or can i do it with all the xml´s at once??
3.- do i have to set permisions to all xml´s files or only to the folder "permissions" or to both the xml´s files and the folder "permissions"??

thank you!!!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Sorry about that. /etc/permissions is correct. You can copy all of them at once, and set the permissions to the files themselves, not the folder, all at once.

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
i think i did someting wrong bacause my 1042 is still not compatible with chrome, gmail...could you help please??

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
" make sure you make a nandroid backup of your current setup before doing anything, and remove the build.prop from the zip you download from the link. The included build.prop works on the 9742 but not other tablets due to hardware differences.

I haven't removed nor copied any "build.prop" from anywhere, may it be the error??

Enviado desde mi MID1042 usando Tapatalk 2

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The XML files only ensure that you can download certain apps, like Facebook and Google Earth. However, unless the build.prop is changed, the XML files will not matter. Changing the build.prop is not a trivial matter. It can be done by hand, and my initial attempt at editing the file proved to be very successful. However, it wasn't until I used the build.prop from another ROM that I had full compatibility.

You will have to edit your build.prop so that it looks like another device, a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for example. That will require reading up to figure out exactly which parts of the build.prop need changing. You can download a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 build.prop and start working its changes into a copy of your build.prop and see how far you get. Just make sure to do two things:

1. Do a nandroid backup of the ROM in its current state before you start.
  2. Download notepad++ to your PC and install it, or else you'll screw the formatting of the files up.

flosam

Dec 18, 2012
hi again traveller!! i did my homework and found this:

originally posted: http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/...=7210#post7210

{Re: [Guide] Change build.prop for game loft games.

Guys just a quick update in this area, if people dont want to replace the name of the tablet with something else, you can actually delete the name entirely, this leaves gameloft games able to download and just a couple more apps availible on the market.

Example:
ro.product.model=U30GT-W
ro.product.brand=rk30sdk
ro.product.name=rk30sdk
ro.product.device=rk30sdk

into:
ro.product.model=
ro.product.brand=
ro.product.name=
ro.product.device=

i've done it and chrome is running on my device right now, i have to check other apps, but it seems to work!!

thank you very much for your help traveller!! i'll try to post here with new issues or possible solutions to help people like me.

thanks again!!

escher

Dec 27, 2012
[/I][/COLOR]
I have a 7042 that I flashed using Livesuite, can I use it to flash Vampirefo's custome CM9 image, safely or reliably? I've had a few issues with encryption errors and rebooting, I was hoping that a new mod would clean them up.

I modded a Coby 9742 for my inlaws unfortunately using the livesuit method. As this seems to be a common problem, the camera does not function. I was hoping to install a new rom to hopefully fix the problem. I see that it is a bad idea to use the CWM method after a livesuit mod. Are there any workarounds to use this better method, or am I out of luck? I'd rather not brick their tablet! Thanks much