FroYo/2.2 Coming Week of April 11?

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Within reason I don't mind a delay in the release but I wish they'd just give us an update on what's happening.

Sent from my Nook Color

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Within reason I don't mind a delay in the release but I wish they'd just give us an update on what's happening.

Sent from my Nook Color

They'll probably end up making some kind of gernal statement that there will be a realease in spring if they don't send an update soon. Of course they won't say spring of 2011 so we will continue to guess what spirng means ;)

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
It strikes me as strange that if B&N wants to push it's digital content, why they don't allow a membership or discount coupon to apply to ebooks. Every coupon that I have seen excludes electronic content & a membership will not get you a penny off ebooks. If they offered discounts with paid memberships, wouldn't that ensure some loyalty to the brand?

Cheers,
kev

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good question Kev. I have wondered why all the cupons they email me are for hard copies only. Drives me nuts just as much as charging full price or even more for a digital edition of a book when clearly there is less cost associated with digital books. No matter how you factor in the device price someting made up of 1s and 0s from electrons just doesn't cost as much as making, shipping and storing real actual things.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Good question Kev. I have wondered why all the cupons they email me are for hard copies only. Drives me nuts just as much as charging full price or even more for a digital edition of a book when clearly there is less cost associated with digital books. No matter how you factor in the device price someting made up of 1s and 0s from electrons just doesn't cost as much as making, shipping and storing real actual things.

If you think about it, they will most promote what needs promoting - not digital, but physical book sales. Compare that with Borders, which is desperate to sell anything, and allows "Borders Bucks", at least (forget now if coupon discounts apply), although only for some books.

When I have tried to use the BB's on some books, it was not allowed due to "publisher restrictions" - another interesting can of worms as to what deals publishers and retailers work out. I know some big name publishers are dead set against digital media discounts, and make it stick (would need to google for the names, but MacMillan is one that comes to mind).

The publishing business is struggling, much as music and video have, with the new digital medium, and some "get" it, and some do not. B&N has to factor that in to this new paradigm it does not fully grasp itself.

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
kids books are ridiculously priced....even the ones without animation and "read to me". I wanted to keep stock rooted for a while for the kids books, but in all honesty, B&N cannot compete (or even come close) to the same books coming from a mail-order scholastic catelog.

So really, the only thing keeping me from switching to CM7 was my LONE magazine subscription (car and driver). I decided i'll be making a bootable 2gb sd card (soon)so i can read my magazine at the beginning of every month. Other than that, I cna read my purchased books from the nook app on cm7.

so really, PRICE of the media has made the decision easier for me to make the switch to a non B&N ROM.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
kids books are ridiculously priced....even the ones without animation and "read to me". I wanted to keep stock rooted for a while for the kids books, but in all honesty, B&N cannot compete (or even come close) to the same books coming from a mail-order scholastic catelog.

So really, the only thing keeping me from switching to CM7 was my LONE magazine subscription (car and driver). I decided i'll be making a bootable 2gb sd card (soon)so i can read my magazine at the beginning of every month. Other than that, I cna read my purchased books from the nook app on cm7.

so really, PRICE of the media has made the decision easier for me to make the switch to a non B&N ROM.

I'm sort of leaning the same way, with the one magazine I would like to continue to get. It is nice to be able to carry around several magazines on the nook. I would get it straight from the publisher if I could since that is how I have my hard subscription anyway (and for less per issue by the way, including mailing and printing costs).

rokky, I guess they really don't get it. I mean who doesn't like coupons and discounts no matter what the product or form? Coupons aren't only to get a person to buy what needs promoting. Traditionally they are a way to get a customer shopping at a specific store. Bring them in with the coupon and hope they buy other things as well. EDIT: Besides if hard copy books need promoting, they are promoting them to the wrong person since I bought an e-reader. I am not about to start buying hard copies when I have a nook color I want to use just because I can get the hard copy at discounted prices. This is so backwards I don't even know where to start.

B&N, I am on your mailing list getting spam everyday, if you want me to buy something why shouldn't some discounts apply to digital media (or really just a general coupon applicable to what ever you buy) which is all I am buying from you any way? Otherwise guess what, I am going to change my account settings to remove the spam since it doesn't apply to me and stop shopping at your store. I have plenty of options and if there are not incentives to shop with B&N I won't. Having a device put out by B&N is not enough for me to feel I need to buy content from them, no more than I feel obigalted to by a case or cover or head phones or any other accessory from a B&N store. I can get any of those things from a multitude of sources and usually at better prices.

Now this is sort of off topic regarding the software update but it does go hand in hand with a potential transition to a digital media store and the ability to do that because of the nook color. I'll wrap up this rant by saying Amazon gets it. If B&N wants to be competative in going this direction they should take a look at Amazon since they are the clearly the leader in this space including offering discounts even on ebooks eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!.

JP :)

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
what really gets me is that i have ESPN the magazine subscription (bought 3 years worth for $5.00). There is NO WAY ot get this digitally sent to my nook. I will still have to receive the hard copy until 2013. What a crock. B&N offers ESPN the magazine on my nook, but I already have it in hard copy...and they told me i cannot have it sent digitally instead.

Lame!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
what really gets me is that i have ESPN the magazine subscription (bought 3 years worth for $5.00). There is NO WAY ot get this digitally sent to my nook. I will still have to receive the hard copy until 2013. What a crock. B&N offers ESPN the magazine on my nook, but I already have it in hard copy...and they told me i cannot have it sent digitally instead.

Lame!

Yep, same boat. So for now they have me paying for the same thing twice, one with the publisher and one with B&N. I will not do that with my other subscriptions though since it was more of a one time trial. Guess what B&N, that means you won't get my business until the current subscriptions expire which could be years at which time they will probably offer me a pirce better than the e-price and then I'll have to evaluate which is more important, price or portability.

I hate beating on a dead horse but I also hate paying for things I already have. Especially when they cost more than they did in the first place!

JP

bob72

Apr 11, 2011
Something strange happened to my rooted Nook Color yesterday. I had turned it on and placed it on the table for a minute or so when I saw a graphic on the screen saying it was upgrading (it didn't say what but since it happened by itself, I assumed it was 2.2). After it completed, the Nook rebooted but hung for several minutes on the Android animation which comes with rooting.

It took a while to shut it down using the power button and wouldn't reboot. I didn't know of any way to fix it other than reverting to stock 1.0.0 (power up my pressing the home and power keys simultaneously and follow the prompts). I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue but am leaving it unrooted for now. I tried to sideload the 1.1 update, but the "About your Nook Color" screen still says 1.0.0 even though the upgrade zip file has disappeared. A directory listing shows this hidden file:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 bob staff 4096 Apr 14 09:44 ._Sideload_update.zip

I have checked several Nook forums and don't see anyone else reporting this.

Strange :confused:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Something strange happened to my rooted Nook Color yesterday. I had turned it on and placed it on the table for a minute or so when I saw a graphic on the screen saying it was upgrading (it didn't say what but since it happened by itself, I assumed it was 2.2). After it completed, the Nook rebooted but hung for several minutes on the Android animation which comes with rooting.

It took a while to shut it down using the power button and wouldn't reboot. I didn't know of any way to fix it other than reverting to stock 1.0.0 (power up my pressing the home and power keys simultaneously and follow the prompts). I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue but am leaving it unrooted for now. I tried to sideload the 1.1 update, but the "About your Nook Color" screen still says 1.0.0 even though the upgrade zip file has disappeared. A directory listing shows this hidden file:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 bob staff 4096 Apr 14 09:44 ._Sideload_update.zip

I have checked several Nook forums and don't see anyone else reporting this.

Strange :confused:

You are the second person reporting the update issue today. What version were your running before this happened? There have aslo been some recent issues with B&N 1.1 side load taking lately.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My guess is access to a B&N app store with reading centric apps and other minor updates to the OS. Now off to read the link...

Edit: Well I am affraid this is going to be a simple update and yet again we are still waiting. Anybody want to give odds on the update being available by the end of April ;)

Last edited:

darkmatter

Mar 14, 2011
It strikes me as strange that if B&N wants to push it's digital content, why they don't allow a membership or discount coupon to apply to ebooks. Every coupon that I have seen excludes electronic content & a membership will not get you a penny off ebooks. If they offered discounts with paid memberships, wouldn't that ensure some loyalty to the brand?

Cheers,
kev

My gf and I were discussing how b&n could better compete with amazon and the kindle. What we figured was to take advantage of the one thing amazon doesn't have...retail locations. B&n knows this too, they said as much when pushing the nook.

But anyway, the real way to take advantage of this...offer free digital download of any physical book you buy. Between having the real book, and a copy for my nook, I would shop at b&n only (for the most part). As much as I like the convenience of ebooks, nothing quite replaces the feeling of actually having the book.