FroYo/2.2 Coming Week of April 11?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
unfortunately industry analyst already pointed out double digit growth in digital content while traditional bricks and mortar stores either stagnated or loss money- if anything you'll likely see a number of BN stores closing down while their digital content offering increases

My gf and I were discussing how b&n could better compete with amazon and the kindle. What we figured was to take advantage of the one thing amazon doesn't have...retail locations. B&n knows this too, they said as much when pushing the nook.

But anyway, the real way to take advantage of this...offer free digital download of any physical book you buy. Between having the real book, and a copy for my nook, I would shop at b&n only (for the most part). As much as I like the convenience of ebooks, nothing quite replaces the feeling of actually having the book.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well with my CM7 n41 and 418C overclock - i find i don;t really need the update - i can enjoy smooth video playback via youtube, access my netflix via playon, watch past episodes of TV on TVSHow stream, catch some of the latest movies via MegaViewer Pro and read to my hearts content with nook and kindle apps

oh and can use location based apps like geodelic using my bluetooth gps

My guess is access to a B&N app store with reading centric apps and other minor updates to the OS. Now off to read the link...

Edit: Well I am affraid this is going to be a simple update and yet again we are still waiting. Anybody want to give odds on the update being available by the end of April ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
well with my CM7 n41 and 418C overclock - i find i don;t really need the update - i can enjoy smooth video playback via youtube, access my netflix via playon, watch past episodes of TV on TVSHow stream, catch some of the latest movies via MegaViewer Pro and read to my hearts content with nook and kindle apps

oh and can use location based apps like geodelic using my bluetooth gps

Me too (actually you are getting way more use out of CM7 than I am, I have hardly played with it so far), but for others...

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
... Anybody want to give odds on the update being available by the end of April ;)

Or May... or June??? I have to say I feel that B&N are hanging us out to dry a little. A bit disappointing that they're not releasing dates as to when the updates are due (other than "in the Spring").

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
Or May... or June??? I have to say I feel that B&N are hanging us out to dry a little. A bit disappointing that they're not releasing dates as to when the updates are due (other than "in the Spring").

I suppose they didn't want to get hammered for missing a more specific date, like others have.

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
BN is getting hit with the same customer impatience that's been aimed at Amazon re: Kindle updates. Sometimes I feel sorry for these companies that are trying to do the right thing (roll out a stable update) and end up getting yelled at. :)

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
My gf and I were discussing how b&n could better compete with amazon and the kindle. What we figured was to take advantage of the one thing amazon doesn't have...retail locations. B&n knows this too, they said as much when pushing the nook.

But anyway, the real way to take advantage of this...offer free digital download of any physical book you buy. Between having the real book, and a copy for my nook, I would shop at b&n only (for the most part). As much as I like the convenience of ebooks, nothing quite replaces the feeling of actually having the book.

FWIW, the next best deal is from O'Reilly ( http://oreilly.com/ebooks/ ): upgrade any print book of theirs that you have registered with them to the ebook version (if available - not all are) for $4.99.
That is pretty decent for the typical $20-50 tech book they sell. As an added bonus, their ebooks are not encrypted, and your purchase entitles you to all formats they have available for the book - i.e. epub, Daisy, APK, Mobi, even (GAGGGG!!!) PDF.

They run daily deals on books (that usually last several days in practice), and frequent promotions such as today's: buy 1 ebook, get 1 free. O'Reilly also offers free updates to your registered versions and 40-50% off version upgrades (really helpful for quickly outdated tech books).

:D

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
To the question I originally asked to start this thread.

But at least we have had some really interesting discussions here :D

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
1. I got a notice of the SDK being released Dec 3, 2010, although I do not know now which API level it was - would need to crank up PC with that installation, and getting too late for that tonight.

2. Major disconnect between:
A) " application should be optimized for Google Android SDK Platform 2.1 SDK"
and
B) "a major update to the NOOK Color firmware this Spring which will offer customers the first new apps [with 2.1 SDK?] to discover and enjoy"
IF that major update is FroYo/2.2. That is making me wonder if they are just "enhancing" 2.1 further - that would be a BIG disappointment for us all.

I hope my line of thinking in that second point is proven wrong, too, and that backward compatibility explains it away ...

There's a theory on the BN forum suggesting that BN is pushing SDK 2.1 to hide the strategy from Amazon and that the update will really be 2.2 with flash. Hum....?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Maybe a 2.1 just to get something out and a 2.2 pretty shortly after as a big surprise?

rokky

Oct 22, 2010

I did not see anything definitive in that thread you linked - just lots of back and forth about convoluted arguments to support and debunk a lot of wishful thinking. The supporters of full FroYo "tomorrow" (rolling date it seems) came up with some really inventive interpretations of statements from all over that would make conspiracy theorists envious, and the debunkers make pessimists look like Pollyanna's.

Waiting to see whatever/whenever...

Last edited:

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
I did not see anything definitive in that thread you linked - just lots of back and forth about convoluted arguments to support and debunk a lot of wishful thinking. The supporters of full FroYo (rolling date it seems) came up with some really inventive interpretations of statements from all over that would do conspiracy theorists proud, and the debunkers make pessiimsts look like Pollyana's.

Waiting to see whatever/whenever...

I was 100% certain that it would not be 2.2 prior to reading the inventive interpretations. However, someone will really have egg on their face if it is NOT 2.2. That's why I am not that certain. Some additional tidbits: the update according to one note posted on xda will be 1.2. As I recall, the BN NC went from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 to 1.1. The difference between 1.0.1 and 1.1 was some wifi fix (that didn't work) and pinch zoom on the browser - not a big change. So I would think 1.2 isn't that big.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
I was 100% certain that it would not be 2.2 prior to reading the inventive interpretations. However, someone will really have egg on their face if it is NOT 2.2. That's why I am not that certain. Some additional tidbits: the update according to one note posted on xda will be 1.2. As I recall, the BN NC went from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 to 1.1. The difference between 1.0.1 and 1.1 was some wifi fix (that didn't work) and pinch zoom on the browser - not a big change. So I would think 1.2 isn't that big.

the new update is 2.2 froyo.

I'm most interested in the status bar and how the nook will handle full screen apps like angry birds etc.