(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I would probably factory restore your device and re-root, if you do not already have clockwork installed. You should not be having those issues, it seems like there something wrong with the root.

If you get clockwork on again after a successful re-root, try making a backup through clockwork recovery menu not in rom manager.

*edited

+1 to what Steve said...if it is acting up, do a full reset on the device...It doesn't take THAT long.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
+1 to what Steve said...if it is acting up, do a full reset on the device...It doesn't take THAT long.

And you would know, how many times have you danced to that tune? ;)

And as they say, practice DOES make perfect.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
7....8 times... something like that...but then again, I like figuring out how things work...so trying the various ways of updating/upgrading was a great learning experience.

and boy, let me tell ya, I have definitely learned how to screw up an install too! LOL

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't know what the issue is either...but the file I posted worked perfectly...I was able to boot right back into rooted 1.1...go into ROM Manager, flash Clockwork, then boot into recovery (I was doing all this to put back in the 1.1Ghz Kernel) Of course it locked up when I went to clear the dalvik cache again, so I rebooted into clockwork, cleared the partition, installed the kernel from zip...and rebooted...

I am back running at 1.1Ghz and it only took me a couple more minutes than it should have.

Hey Vic, maybe I am missing something here but the link in your sig only has options for 1.0.0 and 1.0.1, how were you able to get directly to 1.1?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey Vic, maybe I am missing something here but the link in your sig only has options for 1.0.0 and 1.0.1, how were you able to get directly to 1.1?

I didn't go directly to 1.1...I went to stock 1.0.1 then just sideloaded the 1.1 B&N update...I found that once you put the 1.1 zip on the root of the sdcard, and sleep, wake, sleep, wake a couple times, it grabs the update quickly.

I am sure that someone will come up with the stock 1.1 image soon, then I will update the OP...man, that would be fast to reset and root then!

Keep in mind that the link in my Sig is for resetting to default and removing CWR at the same time, but the link I provided in this post
Here is a fix....what this fix will do, is remove Clockwork from your internal memory...but keep the root!

http://www.etoile-laconnex.com/CWR-removal-rootsafe.zip

Put this zip file on your SD card...and in Clockwork, install file from zip and select it...it will run, and complete.

Go back and reboot device...when it says rebooting, remove the sd card and let the nook boot normally.

Will just remove CWR but keep your root. It can work within the bootable CWR image that is in my sig thread.

***burn the image from my sig thread, put the zip from the link above onto the SD Card.
put sd card in nook and boot to it
once inside CWR on the sd card you Install zip from sdcard
when its done, hit reboot in CWR and when the screen says 'rebooting' pop the sd card out of the nook (so you don't boot back into CWR on the card)

I imagine you could just manually shut off the nook after you ran the removal zip, but I seem to have problems with a force power off from CWR, so I like to have it reboot the system.

Regardless, when it is done rebooting...you will still be rooted, but CWR will have been removed...then its a matter of going back into ROM manager and flashing CWR again.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the details. I was mainly more hoping that I was missing that a 1.1 zip was avaialble. Like you said, that would be an awesome restarting point. Hopefully somebody will do that soon engough and you will be able to update your post. It is definately getting easier to undo things if you need to.

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
I've done a restore to stock so many times that I think I could do it with my eye closed. (Maybe the problem was that I was doing it with my eyes closed! :eek: I'm really glad I discovered SDFormatter because formatting was not happening the way it should have some of the time and I couldn't get into the NC to have it do the formatting.

Okay, once I've flashed ClockWorkMod recovery, I do the backup using the ROM Manager. When the backup is completed, do I remove the sd card and then reboot the system? Or do I leave the card in while the system reboots? Down the line, when I screw something up again and want to restore, do I put my sd card with the backup on it back into the NC and then go to ROM Manager and do a restore from there? And once the NC has been restored, reboot the system and take out the sd card before I hit reboot? Any advice for if and when one gets stuck in CWR and can't get out? Is there anything in that menu that will get you out, or do you just have to do what I've done and use a bootable image (1.0, 1.01, or Nookie 6.6) and restore to stock. BTW, I downloaded Nooter 3.0 again and this time it worked fine.

Thanks,

Sue

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Sue, when you make a backup, it just places the backup image files on your sd card in a backup folder. Reboot normally after backup completes. You can remove the card after a shut down or unmount the card to remove while powered on from the settings menu in the NC. The opposite goes for when you screw it up lol. The card needs to be installed or CWR would have nothing to restore.

jumphour

Feb 10, 2011
I thought I followed the instructions carefully....I installed ROM Manager, then went into CWR, then did a backup, then rebooted, and I just get booted back to CWR....not home screen. Not sure what to do now!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I thought I followed the instructions carefully....I installed ROM Manager, then went into CWR, then did a backup, then rebooted, and I just get booted back to CWR....not home screen. Not sure what to do now!

What version are you running on the Nook 1.0.1 or 1.1?

I believe there is a problem with 1.1 autonooter and CWR, but there is a fix.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Rico...I believe that those that have updated to 1.1 then ran Autonooter 3.0 are having issues with CWR after flashing it.

I think people are missing the Reboot your Nook Color

If they don't reboot the nook and jump straight to Reboot into Recovery, it creates this CWR loop...and then the only way to fix the problem is to remove CWR with a bootable sd card...

Can we maybe highlight that reboot your nook color...make it bigger, etc.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I'm on 1.1, used autonooter 3.0.0 for 1.1

Okay Jumphour...follow the quote below

Here is a fix....what this fix will do, is remove Clockwork from your internal memory...but keep the root!

http://www.etoile-laconnex.com/CWR-removal-rootsafe.zip

Put this zip file on your SD card...and in Clockwork, install file from zip and select it...it will run, and complete.

Go back and reboot device...when it says rebooting, remove the sd card and let the nook boot normally.

Then go back into ROM Manager when you are back to normal, flash CWR again...REBOOT...Go back into ROM Manager and reboot into recovery...you should be good to go from there..

jumphour

Feb 10, 2011
Okay Jumphour...follow the quote below

Then go back into ROM Manager when you are back to normal, flash CWR again...REBOOT...Go back into ROM Manager and reboot into recovery...you should be good to go from there..

Okay, I'm good now. Thank you SO much. I feel like an expert on my Droid X, all rooted and ROM'd and themed. The Nook is brand new and a little trickier! So, I'm gonna spend the next hour making ADW EX all pretty, and I think I'll wait a bit until I ROM it!

Edit: I'm new to this forum....I can't seem to find a "thank" button. Let me know, and I'll thank y'all.

Last edited: