(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thank you. Sorry, I don't want to be giving people the wrong advice. Didn't know if dalvik wipe was essential or not.

Well I know for my current htc evo and previous htc hero, it was a must, especially the dalvik cache. Yes for us NC owners, the lockups are a pain, but it's no biggie, there is no damage and you just have to hold the power button until it turns off.

I've become so use to it now with the NC and CWR, it surprises me when it sometimes doesn't lockup when wiping the caches.

Again, your info isn't wrong, some people have flashed items without wipes and had no issues.

Znos

Feb 10, 2011
You should always wipe both cache partition and dalvik cache when flashing roms and kernels. Just live with the lock ups for now, it's a bug in this current version of CWR. Just turn off and back after lockup to get back into CWR, or boot normally.

IMO of course, we can all do whatever method works for you.

Lockups? The device would only make it to the CWR boot screen regardless of what I did, there was no way to do a normal boot. It wouldn't shutdown at all, CWR effectively bricked the Nook. (Unless you LIKE staring at a boot menu! :p ) The right thing to do would be to pull this version of CWR untill the bugs are fixed. I'm not trying to be harsh, but bricking the device is a serious bug and there are at least two of us who have wet through the same thing. The best workaround for me is to not install CWR again. Like I said earlier, had it not been for the CWR removal too I'm not sure I could have recovered the device.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Lockups? The device would only make it to the CWR boot screen regardless of what I did, there was no way to do a normal boot. It wouldn't shutdown at all, CWR effectively bricked the Nook. (Unless you LIKE staring at a boot menu! :p ) The right thing to do would be to pull this version of CWR untill the bugs are fixed. I'm not trying to be harsh, but bricking the device is a serious bug and there are at least two of us who have wet through the same thing. The best workaround for me is to not install CWR again. Like I said earlier, had it not been for the CWR removal too I'm not sure I could have recovered the device.

Another option, if one is having problems with cwr on 1.1, is to...factory restore the device and re-root using the autonooter for 1.0.1, which I use and know clockwork works effectively on.

Also Rico, just to make sure, can you list the proper steps for restoring a backup through CWR? I dont want to be giving people the wrong info. What needs to be wiped before restoring a backup?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Sorry, I'm at work so I'm in and out of conversation. Was only talking in general about CWR, flashing and cache wiping. I wasn't answering your issue specifically. I wouldn't necessarily uninstall CWR, b/c it has this lockup issue. As long as I know what it does and have a good understanding of quirks, it is fine to run. This technical, sometimes risky stuff isn't for everybody. Using the autonooter or just running stock unrooted is always an option.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Also Rico, just to make sure, can you list the proper steps for restoring a backup through CWR? I dont want to be giving people the wrong info. What needs to be wiped before restoring a backup?

Done.

Update to OP (#1 &#2 post):

-Full System Restore from Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery

Sorry I had to use less pics on this last tutorial, I'm limited on how many pics I can use per post.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Done.

Update to OP (#1 &#2 post):

-Full System Restore from Backup Using ClockworkMod Recovery

Sorry I had to use less pics on this last tutorial, I'm limited on how many pics I can use per post.

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
Just an FYI - I autonootered today.. no issues.. Ran Clockwork for a backup.. got the CW loop.. had to run the remove script.. Battery charged, followed the instructions to the T.. Familiar with CW from my phones.. there is def a bug..

Tried everything suggested.. rebooted probably 20 times..

Thanks to Darmeen and Rico... now onto a Kernal attempt..

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just an FYI - I autonootered today.. no issues.. Ran Clockwork for a backup.. got the CW loop.. had to run the remove script.. Battery charged, followed the instructions to the T.. Familiar with CW from my phones.. there is def a bug..

I would say if people are having problems with clockwork and 1.1, to go back to 1.0.1 autonooter and use cloclwork with that. I have no problems with clockwork and 1.0.1

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
I thought I followed the instructions carefully....I installed ROM Manager, then went into CWR, then did a backup, then rebooted, and I just get booted back to CWR....not home screen. Not sure what to do now!

Me too! Me too!

I did eventually get out of it by formatting my sd card to death, restoring to stock 1.0.1 and then updating back to 1.1 and then nootering, but after I went through the process the third time I decided not to install CWM or CWR until someone can figure what is causing me to get stuck in CWR. I'll stay tuned to see what the fix is.

Sue

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm going to blow my NC away later on today and use the new autonooter 3.0 for 1.1 w/CWR installed; see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps they don't play nice together.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to blow my NC away later on today and use the new autonooter 3.0 for 1.1 w/CWR installed; see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps they don't play nice together.

I've never seen instructions on using autonooter 3.0.0 AND CWR... worked fine for me with just autonooter 3.0.0

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011

I read of people having problems over on XDA as well. There is something to this.. I cannot wait for Cyanogen..

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011

Me too! Me too!

I did eventually get out of it by formatting my sd card to death, restoring to stock 1.0.1 and then updating back to 1.1 and then nootering, but after I went through the process the third time I decided not to install CWM or CWR until someone can figure what is causing me to get stuck in CWR. I'll stay tuned to see what the fix is.

Sue

I just want to clarify something, did both of you do a full power off after flashing the Clockwork Recovery, and then powered back on, and THEN did a reboot to recovery for backup? I was under the impression that NOT turning off and then back on before trying to boot into the recovery console CAUSED the loop.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I've never seen instructions on using autonooter 3.0.0 AND CWR... worked fine for me with just autonooter 3.0.0

So.. are you saying you just used autonooter 3.0 to root 1.1 and are not using CWR? If so, that is not the issues most people are referring to. The 1.1 w/autonooter 3.0 may have issues when using CWR.

I read of people having problems over on XDA as well. There is something to this.. I cannot wait for Cyanogen..

I'm leaning toward autonooter 3.0 than CWR, since it works great for most of use using the custom Nookcolor 1.1 ROM. Now I'm home and going to wipe it all away, sideload 1.1, root with autonooter 3.0, install rom manager and CWR, restore 100+ apps with ASTRO, and then make a full backup. Play with it a bit and see what problems I get if any.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Now I'm home and going to wipe it all away, sideload 1.1, root with autonooter 3.0, install rom manager and CWR, restore 100+ apps with ASTRO, and then make a full backup. Play with it a bit and see what problems I get if any.

HAHA, welcome to my world rico...its the world of I just gotta know...please keep us updated on your progress.

I am still thinking it has to do with the missed reboot after flashing, and just jumping to reboot into recovery