(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
Geez guys what are you telling this poor fellow :)

rbarrans, if you have CWR installed and can boot into it, you don't have much of a problem. To do a factory rest, you first must remove it to regain access to your stock recovery. Then you can do the factory reset following the tutorial you listed: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

Use the first section of this thread to remove CWR: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-1-update-if-using-clockworkmod-recovery.html

Success!!! What a scary night. I was sure that after CWR took over I was going to lose my Nook. Thanks for the help. I did have a back up which I used with CWR to restore. Then I followed the links provided and did the CWR removal. MY rooted NC is back and I didn't have to do a factory restore. I'm not sure I should even ask this now, but is there a way to overclock without using CWR? This all started when I decided to try and speed up the processor.

Thanks again to all who helped and advice!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Success!!! What a scary night. I was sure that after CWR took over I was going to lose my Nook. Thanks for the help. I did have a back up which I used with CWR to restore. Then I followed the links provided and did the CWR removal. MY rooted NC is back and I didn't have to do a factory restore. I'm not sure I should even ask this now, but is there a way to overclock without using CWR? This all started when I decided to try and speed up the processor.

You need a custom recovery like clockwork to overclock. Clockwork is good to have. I think it got messed up because u had froyo on sdcard. Clockwork should be installed on a autonootered (android 2.1) nook without froyo using a clean sdcard.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Glad you got it straightened out. Once you are back to normal and have everything worked out, you can re-install CWR, make another clean backup and move forward from there. The CWR removal will work at anytime, if you need to get back to stock recovery. If you get loops again and can get into CWR, clear cache partition and then go into "advanced" menu and clear dalvik cache. I get stuck and loops from time to time when installing (flashing) new kernels and rom in CWR. Clear caches go a long way. :)

If you can boot, it's never that bad and you shouldn't get too worried. Now if you can't boot or your NC doesn't turn on, then you should worry. :)

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Rico, I backed up my Rom with Clockwork recovery, but now it won't boot back to the normal system, it just keeps booting back to Clockwork. How do I get out of this?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, I backed up my Rom with Clockwork recovery, but now it won't boot back to the normal system, it just keeps booting back to Clockwork. How do I get out of this?

In CWR, clear both cache partition and dalvik cache, then go back to main menu hit reboot system.

Is you autonooter image sd card still installed?

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
In CWR, clear both cache partition and dalvik cache, then go back to main menu hit reboot system.

Is you autonooter image sd card still installed?

No the autonooter card is out and my 16gb card back in. Should I put the autonooter card back in?

Just a side note, after I clear the dalvik cache it seems to freeze because I can't get it to go back to the other menu, I have to reboot by holding the power button till it shuts off then start it back up.

Last edited:

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
When wiping the cache partition, is normal to get the message after "cache wipe complete" E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log, E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log, E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log, E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log? Anyway after doing this and going to advanced and wiping the dalvik cache, it says "Dalvik cache wiped", however I no longer have any control to get back to the main menu to reboot system so just have to hold the power button down til it shuts off then turn it back on, then it goes right back to the clockwork recover console.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No the autonooter card is out and my 16gb card back in. Should I put the autonooter card back in?

Just a side note, after I clear the dalvik cache it seems to freeze because I can't get it to go back to the other menu, I have to reboot by holding the power button till it shuts off then start it back up.

About half the time I also get a freeze after clearing the dalvik cache. Just keep holding the power button and repeating repeating the steps until it doesn't stick and then you should be able to complete the process. If you do this more than 3 or 4 times in a row and it still doesn't work you may have another issue. YOu may want to start over with downloading and flashing the CWR on there to make sure that is clean.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

This isn't working Rico...when you go to clear the dalvik cache, it locks up CWR and you can't get back to reboot. Something went wrong with my backup and I too am stuck in a CWR loop...it simply won't reboot into normal NC...of course, I know a way to kill it, but maybe you had an easier idea.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
About half the time I also get a freeze after clearing the dalvik cache. Just keep holding the power button and repeating repeating the steps until it doesn't stick and then you should be able to complete the process. If you do this more than 3 or 4 times in a row and it still doesn't work you may have another issue. YOu may want to start over with downloading and flashing the CWR on there to make sure that is clean.

I've already done this at least 6 times and I still can't get it to reboot from CWR, I always have to hold the power button to shut down. I'm somewhat lost at this point, not even sure how one would "start over".

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Here is a fix....what this fix will do, is remove Clockwork from your internal memory...but keep the root!

http://www.etoile-laconnex.com/CWR-removal-rootsafe.zip

Put this zip file on your SD card...and in Clockwork, install file from zip and select it...it will run, and complete.

Go back and reboot device...when it says rebooting, remove the sd card and let the nook boot normally.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Vic, I am not sure about your issue when I froze and held the power it would always reboot to the standard OS unless I also held the n button. Is that possibly stuck?

caulktel, if it were me I would try following the steps to install CWR again including downloading the file from scratch. Then I would try and flash over the CWR that is on there. Maybe this will clear the issue by installing over it. Not sure though. If that doesn't work I would try uninstalling CWR then follow the thread to add it again.