(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Edit: I'm new to this forum....I can't seem to find a "thank" button. Let me know, and I'll thank y'all.

thanks.JPG

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Here is a screenshot of thank button...$Picture 1.png

Just so you know we don't really have custom roms yet in the way that the Droid X does. We should be getting them soon. Cyanogenmod is apparently in the works for Nook Color.

Znos

Feb 10, 2011
I just signed up to say that Rom Manager nearly bricked my new Nook Color. It was almost exactly the same trouble that Caulktel was having. The device would not power off, would only go to the CWR boot menu, clearing the caches would lock up the program and forget about the 8 failed boots theory! By the second failed boot it was like the power button was being ignored.

If it wasn't for the CRW-Removal tool I'm not sure that I could have recovered my Nook, I tried everything I could find and could not get it to reset. (Props to whoever wrote that script!!!)

I'd say that CRW should be pulled until the issue is fixed. I hate to think that someone would loose the use of their device over a software bug.

I was running the 1.1 ROM from B&N and then autonooter 3.0.0 over that. Everthing was fine until I tried to backup my Rom with Rom Manager. The backup went fine, but I'm thinking CWR fubar'd my boot loader or just wouldn't/couldn't return it to normal.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Is anyone else having problems with clockwork in 1.1? If so please let us know so we can figure this out. Rom manager should be used to flash clockwork recovery and boot into clockwork recovery. It is better if backup is made form clockwork recovery menu instead of through Rom Manager. There could very well possibly be a bug, but I am not sure because I am not running 1.1, I am on 1.0.1 still. Can any one else confirm if CWR is working/not working on 1.1?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Should people be going back to the 1.0.1 autonooter if they want to make backups, etc?

They might want to think about it...

My CWR is working properly now though...made a backup last night with it.

But it was only a couple days ago I was stuck in the CWR boot loop. I used the CWR removal tool, went back into the NC and reflashed it...it has worked just fine since then...but I haven't done any cache clearing, just backups. Even did the reboot from CWR and it went right back into normal launch.

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
FWIW - I am on B&N 1.1 then Autonooter 3.0 and I have made a back up with CWR with no issues. I will say that I have not tried a restore since I started over from stock to get where I am now.

Karl

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Maybe there is a bug with dalvich cache then in cwr and 1.1. Maybe people should just wipe main cache and not dalvich when installing kernel? I never wipe dalvich on my Droid when installing kernels.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Znos

Feb 10, 2011
Maybe there is a bug with dalvich cache then in cwr and 1.1. Maybe people should just wipe main cache and not dalvich when installing kernel? I never wipe dalvich on my Droid when installing kernels.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I tried that as well since it was locking up after clearing the dalvich cache but not after clearing the other one. I wish I could have gotten some sort of debug info, but there was nothing... really, I couldn't even get the Nook to connect via USB. I spent a few hours trying different things, even did a restore to factory defaults, restored my backed up rom and was about to try loading a new kernel. So far I'm not too well taken with Android (in general). I'm used to Linux and this is like having my hands tied behind my back! ... Just gotta love those "learning curves"!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You should always wipe both cache partition and dalvik cache when flashing roms and kernels. Just live with the lock ups for now, it's a bug in this current version of CWR. Just turn off and back after lockup to get back into CWR, or boot normally.

IMO of course, we can all do whatever method works for you.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You should always wipe both cache partition and dalvik cache when flashing roms and kernels. Just live with the lock ups for now, it's a bug in this current version of CWR. Just turn off and back after lockup to get back into CWR, or boot normally.

IMO of course, we can all do whatever method works for you.

Thank you. Sorry, I don't want to be giving people the wrong advice. Didn't know if dalvik wipe was essential or not.