(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Vic, I am not sure about your issue when I froze and held the power it would always reboot to the standard OS unless I also held the n button. Is that possibly stuck?

caulktel, if it were me I would try following the steps to install CWR again including downloading the file from scratch. Then I would try and flash over the CWR that is on there. Maybe this will clear the issue by installing over it. Not sure though. If that doesn't work I would try uninstalling CWR then follow the thread to add it again.

I don't know what the issue is either...but the file I posted worked perfectly...I was able to boot right back into rooted 1.1...go into ROM Manager, flash Clockwork, then boot into recovery (I was doing all this to put back in the 1.1Ghz Kernel) Of course it locked up when I went to clear the dalvik cache again, so I rebooted into clockwork, cleared the partition, installed the kernel from zip...and rebooted...

I am back running at 1.1Ghz and it only took me a couple more minutes than it should have.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
This isn't working Rico...when you go to clear the dalvik cache, it locks up CWR and you can't get back to reboot. Something went wrong with my backup and I too am stuck in a CWR loop...it simply won't reboot into normal NC...of course, I know a way to kill it, but maybe you had an easier idea.

It does work, at least for me. It locks up from time to time while clear cache b/c its buggy. When it locks just hold power button to turn off, then press power button to turn the NC back on.

@caulktel
Try one more thing: hold power button to turn off your NC, then plug it up to changer via the usb cable.

If that doesn't work to boot past CWR, go into CWR and restore from your backup.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Rico, I backed up my Rom with Clockwork recovery, but now it won't boot back to the normal system, it just keeps booting back to Clockwork. How do I get out of this?

Sorry I am coming in late. You didn't also wipe data right. Do not wipe data. Did u try holding n and power button?

You can try restoring nandriod backup, but there are specific instructions for restoring. So ask us before u restore.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Rico, tried both of your suggestions, still booting to CWR.

Steve, I did not wipe data, I took a lesson from that other guy a few days ago who got into trouble doing that. Tried holding both buttons to boot, same old thing. I will await your suggestions as I am thoroughly stumped.

Joel

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
@caulktel

download that CWR removal zip I posted on the previous page and put it on your sd card, since you are booting into CWR anyway, install that zip from sd card and reboot (it worked for me and I was trucking along two minutes later)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, tried both of your suggestions, still booting to CWR.

Steve, I did not wipe data, I took a lesson from that other guy a few days ago who got into trouble doing that. Tried holding both buttons to boot, same old thing. I will await your suggestions as I am thoroughly stumped.

Joel

yes don't wipe data.

hmm your restore of your backup did not work? That should always work. What operation did you perform right before backup? Were you able to reboot normally after installing CWR?

As Vic suggested it may be time to remove cwr:
-Download the ClockWorkMod Removal zip: CWR-removal.zip
-Plug up your pc to mount the internal storage and your 16GB sd card
-Copy cwr-removal.zip to root of your SD card
-Unplug from pc
-Boot to CWR again
-Install from sd card: cwr-removal.zip

If you are unable to mount your NC to pc, remove sd card and install in a sd card reader. Copy over zip to sd card. re-insert sd card back into NC. Install zip in CWR.

-Once CWR is removed, stock recovery will be restored and you should be able to boot normally.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
@caulktel

download that CWR removal zip I posted on the previous page and put it on your sd card, since you are booting into CWR anyway, install that zip from sd card and reboot (it worked for me and I was trucking along two minutes later)

Okay Vic, that did the trick, so now do I reinstall CWR or what?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If u reinstall clockwork make sure u have a full charge first before u try to backup again. *edit: were u on a low charge when u tried to backup before?

sent from my rooted nook color

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Steve, yes it was fully charged when I backed it up.

Vic, all I was trying to do, was to do the first backup of my system. Maybe I choose the wrong thing to back up, I choose "Back up current ROM". What file am I looking for on the sd card?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'd get a few clean reboots under my belt before moving forward.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I'd get a few clean reboots under my belt before moving forward.

Thanks for that advice, and I agree with you, I've had enough excitement for one night. I will tackle this another day. Thank you all for your help.

Joel

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Just a observation, my NC has become unstable since this whole backup problem. The keyboard keeps quiting while typing and when trying to change the keyboard settings the app just quits also. Just some weird stuff going on. I will watch it closer.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Rico sorry if I missed this but, should the original post have a "restoring a backup" procedure? I usually wipe data and cache before restoring my backup, people should be doing that right?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just a observation, my NC has become unstable since this whole backup problem. The keyboard keeps quiting while typing and when trying to change the keyboard settings the app just quits also. Just some weird stuff going on. I will watch it closer.

I would probably factory restore your device and re-root, if you do not already have clockwork installed. You should not be having those issues, it seems like there something wrong with the root.

If you get clockwork on again after a successful re-root, try making a backup through clockwork recovery menu not in rom manager.

*edited

Last edited: