Huawei S7 discussion archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
Wow, that's a let-down.
I don't have Fring installed at the moment, but I thought i remembered that in the Settings I was able to choose which camera to use even though my S7 only has a front (face) facing camera. But I might be wrong.
Unfortunately, with Angry Birds installed there's no room for almost any other apps... :-( Froyo is a must on this!

You can switch between main camera (back) and secondary camera (front) when you pressed the menu button while the built-in camera app or camcorder is running

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
I just got mine from BestBuy and it has two cameras, rear and front,but the front camera seems not enabled or at least the system does not recognized it. For me that was the main reason I've got it and now fring does not see it neither any camera application.
Overall I think it is a great tablet.

Did you try switching between the two cameras?
You can switch between main camera (back) and secondary camera (front) when you pressed the menu button while the built-in camera app or camcorder is running

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Can you guys install PowerTools2010 and then install CM3.apk
Make sure everything in the background is not running except the HomeScreen.
Run the app and do a screen dump of the results and post it here!

Example: 814 on Sylvania SYNET7LP 780 on Coby KYROS (X5A) and 414 on Gome ePAD Flytouch (after running Extreme Performance Edition Rooted ROM MOD)

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Can you guys install PowerTools2010 and then install CM3.apk
Make sure everything in the background is not running except the HomeScreen.
Run the app and do a screen dump of the results and post it here!

Example: 814 on Sylvania SYNET7LP 780 on Coby KYROS (X5A) and 414 on Gome ePAD Flytouch (after running Extreme Performance Edition Rooted ROM MOD)

Steve score 859 (98)
Loop score 974 (2017)
Logic score 711 (0)
String score 1555 (708)
Float score 722 (185)
Method score 824 (166650)

Overall score 905

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
Steve score 859 (98)
Loop score 974 (2017)
Logic score 711 (0)
String score 1555 (708)
Float score 722 (185)

Overall score 905

I ran it and got 941 over all with advance task killer pro cleaning things up.

Sieve Score= 684
Loop score = 953
Logic score = 888
string access = 1600
float = 873
method = 858

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Steve score 859 (98)
Loop score 974 (2017)
Logic score 711 (0)
String score 1555 (708)
Float score 722 (185)

Overall score 905

On Coby KYROS

74334_460813472948_579882948_5669993_2435921_n.jpg

stevepsycho

Nov 13, 2010
Hey grennes, were you able to install fring and play with video conference? In my device it will use the rear camera instead of the front facing ...

This is the same issue I am currently having. Im hoping an update to android 2.2 or shall I dare say 2.3 will help. Im honestly thinking about returning this tablet and getting the Archos 70 or 10-1 any thoughts?

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
Hey grennes, were you able to install fring and play with video conference? In my device it will use the rear camera instead of the front facing ...
First of all it doesn't seem to care that I'm connected to my home wifi, and says network connection is too slow for video conf, probably because I set the S7 to use 2G only. But I'm 3 meters away from the wifi AP which has a GB connection to my fiber modem which again gives my 10Mbit duplex connection to the net, so the network connection really shouldn't be an issue.
As I exited Fring and set the Tablet to use 3G when possible, leaving wifi connection on, starting up Fring leaves me forever at the opening "Testing connection" screen.
Exiting once more, turning off wifi, killing then starting Fring again, finally starts the application, and the blue light below the front facing (which is my tablet's only cam) lights up for half a second.
Without enabling wifi I am then able to perform a test video call which is played back to me.
So the answer is yes, sort of...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You guys should email Fring. They can fix the problem with their application.

Root the device and use AutoKiller's setting instead. Memory Booster Lite invasively kills apps, which is a bad idea.

Huawei is a legitimate enough company to address a concern like GTalk. I'm not sure what mem

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
I notice that there has been quite some discussions and possibly misunderstandings when it comes to the S7 specifications and capabilities, and my bet is it's because Huawei have released several versions of the S7.

I will start this thread specifying my own version, sold in Norway.
The full name, according to a sticker on the retail box, is S7-101.

This is the single camera model, with a "face facing" camera only - the good thing is that Fring doesn't get confused and actually works - kind of...
Hopefully for those of you with the 2 camera model, Fring will release an upgrade with an option of choosing the camera to use for video conferencing.

My S7-101 has the resistive 7" screen, it has a SIM slot with full voice and 2G/3G capabilities (confirmed, I can connect to 3G here in Norway and i've used it as a speaker phone - I couldn't get the original wired headset to work, though, the other party couldn't hear me).

It has 802.11 b/g/n wifi (although can't confirm the n bit)
Bluetooth (2.1? not sure)
CPU running at 768Mhz

and it has a miserable 128MB memory reserved for applications...

So to those of you with units from BestBuy and other retailers, check the full name of your units (S7-105, for instance) and post your specs here - SIM slot/no SIM slot, resistive or capacitive screen, 768Mhz or 1Ghz CPU, 1 or 2 cameras, available app memory, etc.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Bestbuy.com has the S7-104 according to their website; with the following specs;

• Warranty Terms - Parts
    1 year limited
  • Warranty Terms - Labor
    1 year limited
  • Product Height
    8-7/8"
  • Product Width
    4-1/4"
  • Product Weight
    1.1 lbs.
  • Product Depth
    5/8"
  • Bluetooth-Enabled
    Yes
  • Battery Type
    Lithium-ion
  • Internet/Email Capable
    Yes
  • Built-in Digital Camera
    Yes
  • Touch Screen
    Yes
  • Mobile Operating System
    Android
  • Device Manufacturer
    Huawei
  • Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
    7"
  • Operating System
    Android

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
My BestBuy version is

S7-104
2 cameras
CPU 768Mhz (not sure if it is a 1Ghz underclocked as some sites seem to suggest)
Resistive 7" screen
Available SIM (my AT&T voice and data works after 2 exchanges of the device)
802.11b/g/n (will confirm later today, "n" seems to be working)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (bluetooth works, don't know what or how to test EDR)
Not sure how to check internal RAM but whe I run ATP it says I have 324M available.

Any more info feel free to ask. As of now I like everything about this device for it's price.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
OK, so I have a Huawei S7 Tablet running Android 2.1 under a Huawei UI.
UniversalAndroot gave me instant root.
But of course I don't have a custom Recovery or a custom ROM.
After a small number of apps have been installed, the dreaded "Low on space" message appears. What can I do to get more "install space" (System?) ?
Can I do /anything/ besides uninstalling apps while waiting for 2.2?
I have a G1 with CM 6.1 RC1, with Firerat's A2SD and all that, and I almost have no memory issues (speed issues - yes) with it, but without a custom ROM for my S7 am I helpless..?

Christopher

PS. I live in Norway, the S7 has been on sale here for nearly 3 months, the specs are full 3G (voice, sms, mms, data), 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, GPS, gyro, 7' resistive screen, a single frontfacing camera for video calls - pls don't hijack this thread, if you need more info on the tablet create another thread and I will chip in! :)

i think the device christopher was talking to is different from what BestBuy offers (S7-104). Does anyone actually able to root their S7-104?

Status
Not open for further replies.