Maps application

rakstr

Aug 5, 2011
Had to exchange my VTAB and now I'm having problems using the Maps application. Either partially paints the map or fails to paint at all. Anyone else having issues?

thearches

Oct 22, 2011
Had to exchange my VTAB and now I'm having problems using the Maps application. Either partially paints the map or fails to paint at all. Anyone else having issues?

I don't have an answer to your problem but maybe mine is related.

After several days of seeming to work correctly, the Maps app and the related Navigation app now freeze every time I enable the satellite layer. The apps stay frozen even after I disable the satellite layer (it lets me do that). I have to do a forced close or reboot to get them to work again. If I forget to disable satellite before closing or rebooting, the apps come up frozen (g=blank screen) the next time I run them.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Maps update to no avail.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Getting something in Google Earth. Vizio says it's the software, Google says it's the hardware! Same script, different players . . ?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I just experimented with the Maps and Latitude applications. Went into Maps. Turned on the satellite layer. All was well. Shrunk and panned all the way over to the west coast, where I know some friends are, then switched to Latitude. It did appear to seize-up painting the map. Turned off the sat. layer. Remained seized. Exited and re-entered Latitude. It was okay. Re-enabled the sat. layer. It was okay. Still in Latitude: Panned back over to the midwest, where I am. No problem. Turned the sat. layer off.

So, for me, on my tab, it seems to be a bit wonky, but not entirely b0rk3d.

Jim

thearches

Oct 22, 2011
I just experimented with the Maps and Latitude applications. Went into Maps. Turned on the satellite layer. All was well. Shrunk and panned all the way over to the west coast, where I know some friends are, then switched to Latitude. It did appear to seize-up painting the map. Turned off the sat. layer. Remained seized. Exited and re-entered Latitude. It was okay. Re-enabled the sat. layer. It was okay. Still in Latitude: Panned back over to the midwest, where I am. No problem. Turned the sat. layer off.

So, for me, on my tab, it seems to be a bit wonky, but not entirely b0rk3d.

Jim

Thanks. When you say "exited and re-entered Latitude" did you just go out to Home and back in, or did you do a forced close. I always have to turn off the satellite layer and then do a forced close to get any functionality.

thearches

Oct 22, 2011
I exchanged my VTab for a new one. Maps and Navigation have the same problem. As soon as you check the satellite layer, they freeze and only work again after turning off the satellite layer and doing a forced stop.

While I can't rule out that this is connected with the system update (which the VTab did immediately after initial setup), that does rule out that this is due to conflict with apps I downloaded, since I haven't downloaded any.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I exchanged my VTab for a new one. Maps and Navigation have the same problem.
While I can't rule out that this is connected with the system update (which the VTab did immediately after initial setup),...
Strange. I played with both Maps and Latitude, moving between the two several times and moving back and forth between the midwest and the west coast. Had sat. lock up on me just once. Didn't even have to leave the app. Just turned off the sat. layer and turned it back on.

I have the latest of everything offerered for my VTAB.

Jim

dudleydocker

Nov 11, 2011
I just downloaded the new Maps update (5.12.0) and it seems to have completely resolved the freezing/lockup problems that I have always had with this app. I am now a happy mapper! :) Fix the SD card and I will be a happy camper....................:mad:
dd

Wgaich

Oct 30, 2011
I just downloaded the new Maps update (5.12.0) and it seems to have completely resolved the freezing/lockup problems that I have always had with this app. I am now a happy mapper! :) Fix the SD card and I will be a happy camper....................:mad:
dd

Hey Dudleydocker, "Stancomb Wills" here.

dudleydocker

Nov 11, 2011
Hey Dudleydocker, "Stancomb Wills" here.

BINGO!

I've used that handle for 5 or 6 years and nobody ever made the connection until now.

I'm sure you can understand the importance of having the Google maps app functioning..... :)

dd

Last edited:

gby

Nov 12, 2011
dd

I also have never been able to get Satellite, terrain, or other advanced function of Google Maps to work on my VTAB1008. I just went to Market, My Apps, Google Maps, hit update to get 5.12.0 and now everything works. So, either Vizio did not pre-install Google Maps correctly or this update fixes a problem in the Google Maps app.

gby

JimO

Nov 9, 2011
Getting something in Google Earth. Vizio says it's the software, Google says it's the hardware! Same script, different players . . ?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum[/QUOTE

Same problem here with google earth