Newbie with 7015b Coby

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
Alright... after tinkering with it a bit, I finally managed to get ClockWorkMod on here. I had to modify the USB drivers as AboveTheLogic mentioned on page 1 of the thread (thanks AboveTheLogic, by the way ;)).

I downloaded the recovery.img for CWM v5.0.2.7 and placed it directly in the C:\ drive/directory on my PC (just copied and pasted the file in there, no folder).Then, I put the tablet in fastboot mode (by holding down the "Menu" button on the tablet while power it on).It should initialize fastboot mode, then say "Waiting......". Connect the tablet to your PC using the provided usb cable.Then open a command prompt and type the following:

fastboot flash recovery c:/recovery.img

... and hit enter. It should go through the steps to flash CWM and you will be prompted in the command prompt window when the operation is completed.Once it's done, hold down the "Back" button on your tablet, and while keeping the "Back" button depressed, reboot the tablet by using something like the tip of a ball point pen to press the small "Reset" button on the back of the tablet.You should boot into the ClockWork Recovery console.Hope this helps! ;)

Last edited:

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
Can anyone link me to this file? I don't want to put the Google Market on my tablet, and I'm having a hard time trying to find an up to date version that I can download.

Sure thing :) Here ya go:

recovery.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

I've worked on this quite a bit and I've figured out how to make an installer package that works via CWM and can root an unrooted 7015B with the latest su/Superuser.apk and busybox; adds a few minor performance related tweaks (custom build.prop), and adds the full Google Apps package (Maps, Gmail, etc.) and latest Google Play 3.4.7 Android Market version, while greatly expanding app availability (basically, the App Market will see the tablet as a Droid 3 and open up a ton more options). I'll have to put it together this week and upload for anyone that would like to give it a go and has a 7015B.

The only problem I'm facing is getting Network Location to work with the Google Maps suite on these tablets. I've tried everything I can think of, and no dice. :(

zoboomafoo12

Apr 9, 2012
I've worked on this quite a bit and I've figured out how to make an installer package that works via CWM and can root an unrooted 7015B with the latest su/Superuser.apk and busybox; adds a few minor performance related tweaks (custom build.prop), and adds the full Google Apps package (Maps, Gmail, etc.) and latest Google Play 3.4.7 Android Market version, while greatly expanding app availability (basically, the App Market will see the tablet as a Droid 3 and open up a ton more options). I'll have to put it together this week and upload for anyone that would like to give it a go and has a 7015B.

The only problem I'm facing is getting Network Location to work with the Google Maps suite on these tablets. I've tried everything I can think of, and no dice. :(

First of, thank you for everyone here that helped figure out a way to root this thing! Much appreciated.
I just got the coby yesterday from Groupon's second round of selling them as AboveTheLogic noticed & was able to root it with SuperOneClick.

KayioDroid, your installer package sounds great! I'm sure many people that are now receiving their Mid7015 will end up on this page, just like I did after spending several hours digging through other forums.
Did you get a chance to finalize it??

Thanks again guys.

spven

Apr 11, 2012
Thank you kaiyodroid. Followed your instructions for rooting & CWM. Could you please post how I could install market on 7015B. I tried new playstore APK and the other one from the link at ultimate kyros 7015. Both didnt work. Error was amend scripting is no longer supported.

Last edited:

spven

Apr 11, 2012
Never mind got market, thanks to red7 from nwteche.com. But it isnt the same as regular market as not all apps arent there. better than nothing. Loaded Maps but that doesnt seem to work. Help is appreciated.

Bluehaze

Apr 12, 2012
Can you inform me how you got the Coby 7015B to connect via USB. I modified the driver as stated by AboveLogic but there was nothing on the menu that stated AndroidEclaire when you specify you want to install the device yourself on Device Manager. I have Win7 32bit. I manually point it to the modified .inf file and it will install properly. As Device: Android - Google ADP *** or something like that. But the Coby 7015B when connected will stills say waiting..... on the screen. Running the adbshell does nothing as it says no connection.

added: nvm. fixed it got to connect. However the flash recovery did not seem to work as that clockwork mod do no come up anymore.

Last edited:

BitByter

Apr 13, 2012
Sure thing :) Here ya go:

recovery.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Did you happen to get a backup of what you have done so far? I have one that i have rooted and with CWM on it, then after flashing the gapps from the ultimate guild i am stuck in a boot loop. I would love to find someone that has a backup of the original rom for a 7015b (rooted or not), (CWM or not) so that i could reflash mine and maybe get it back up and running. Thanks

BitByter

Apr 13, 2012
Never mind got market, thanks to red7 from nwteche.com. But it isnt the same as regular market as not all apps arent there. better than nothing. Loaded Maps but that doesnt seem to work. Help is appreciated.

Can you do a backup from CWM and post it. That should help me get mine up and running, then i can modify the buildprop so that more stuff shows up in the market and repost that, so that yours works better. Good trade?

Kanasinero

Apr 13, 2012
I have tried following your steps but no success. I have no experience with Android (or any sort of programming) and would like to root my tablet to access more Android Apps.

I am not sure if you install the Android SDK to the computer or the tablet?
Install and run SuperOneClick on the computer or the tablet?

What I've already done is install both the apps on my computer and run the programs from there but when I hit ROOT, nothing happens. It just hangs and then windows indicates 'Not Responding'.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Congrats on the successful root Outlaw :)

I also managed to finally get around to rooting my 7015B; but I ended up going a slightly different route than what's been mentioned here. Turned out to be easy as pie, too.

First I tried the GingerBreak v1.2 .APK, but that didn't work. It loaded the app, I tapped the "Root" option; and it just remained stuck looping on the "exploit" screen.

Then, I used something called SuperOneClick v2.3.3; and that got the tablet rooted successfully with Super User installed on the very first try.

More info here: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers

I'm a complete newcomer to doing this type of stuff, so I'm not sure all these steps are necessary... but here's everything I did, nonetheless:

(Note: I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit)

1 - Installed the Android SDK
2 - Loaded the SDK Manager (included with the Android SDK; make sure you right-click the icon and select Properties to run the SDK Manager as Administrator under the Compatibility Tab). Then go down to the "Extras" on the file tree, select the Google USB Driver Package and install that.
3 - Once the Driver Package was finished installing, I closed out the SDK Manager/Android SDK completely. I then hooked the Coby Kyros 7015B up via the USB cable to my PC and let Windows install the drivers (Make sure USB Debugging is set to ON in your tablet's settings under Settings -> Applications ->Development -> USB Debugging).

NOTE: Before beginning Step 4, make sure you do not have an SD Card inserted or mounted in the Kyros' SD Card slot. (I simply removed mine altogether just to be sure)

4 - Load SuperOneClick v2.3.3, select "zergrush" from the drop down menu marked "Exploit" on the right, then click the "Root" option.
5 - SuperOneClick prompted me that a necessary Gingerbread driver was missing and asked if I wanted it to download/install it for me. I clicked "Yes".
6 - Nothing else needs to be done and the entire rooting process is completely automated. Let SuperOneClick run it's course until you get the confirmation message that the tablet was successfully rooted. (It isn't necessary to run the test it prompts about after installation if you don't want to)

... And that was it. ;)

The only thing that I had to deal with afterward, was the tablet went into a boot loop where it would just constantly loop the "android" logo start-up screen. Nothing I did would shut off the tablet and it wasn't responsive to any button presses at all. To be honest, I panicked a bit at first and thought I'd soft-bricked the tablet. Turns out, I was worried about nothing. The fix was to simply flip the tablet onto it's backside and use the tip of a ball point pen to push the small "Reset" button on the back of the device. Once that was done, it rebooted perfectly fine. As soon as the tablet was once again fully loaded up and running, I went in and checked, and sure enough Super User was installed and the tablet was successfully rooted. :)

On a side note, it was also a bit of a pain to find an actual download link for SuperOneClick v2.3.3. The name of the file is "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip" and can be found hosted on 4shared.com via a regular Google search.

SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Haven't tried Clockwork Mod or getting the Android Market on there.... yet.

Now, I'm off to Kyros Tablet Zone to see if I can load any of the many custom Android 2.3.3 ROMS originally made for the Coby Kyros 7015/7015A models. Should work just fine now I imagine. I'll post back with my results! :)

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
Did you get it through the groupon promotion? If so, I have the same one.

I've been trying all the instructions out there for rooting so I can get the android market app to work, to no avail.

I've tried the latest versions of gingerbreak and z4root, multiple times, following the instructions, no go.

I think that most of the instructions out there are for the older 7015, without the B at the end.

Does yours show build number MID7015 20111208? If so, its like mine, and has a recent build. I suspect this recent build has fixed the exploits that gingerbreak and z4root use. I'm still a n00b to androids, trying to figure it out...

I have this version of 7015 from recent groupon. Still working to get CWR installed but have attained root and su. Used superoneclick to root. Everything else failed

AlexTheGreat

Apr 16, 2012
Alright... after tinkering with it a bit, I finally managed to get ClockWorkMod on here. I had to modify the USB drivers as AboveTheLogic mentioned on page 1 of the thread (thanks AboveTheLogic, by the way ;)).

I downloaded the recovery.img for CWM v5.0.2.7 and placed it directly in the C:\ drive/directory on my PC (just copied and pasted the file in there, no folder).Then, I put the tablet in fastboot mode (by holding down the "Menu" button on the tablet while power it on).It should initialize fastboot mode, then say "Waiting......". Connect the tablet to your PC using the provided usb cable.Then open a command prompt and type the following:

... and hit enter. It should go through the steps to flash CWM and you will be prompted in the command prompt window when the operation is completed.Once it's done, hold down the "Back" button on your tablet, and while keeping the "Back" button depressed, reboot the tablet by using something like the tip of a ball point pen to press the small "Reset" button on the back of the tablet.You should boot into the ClockWork Recovery console.Hope this helps! ;)

It keeps giving me an error message when I type that into the command prompt. Any idea what it could be?

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
I have this version of 7015 from recent groupon. Still working to get CWR installed but have attained root and su. Used superoneclick to root. Everything else failed

Ok follow-on... I managed to get the CWM and then tried installing the google apps zip from CWM and it failed with an error failed to mount dev/block something. Now stuck @ Coby Screen though I can get to the CWM, Fastboot and FWDN menu's I think the basic OS is hosed in some way. Relatively new to this so could use some ideas. I'm thinking I need to basically re-install the base OS.

james_polk

Apr 18, 2012
I've tried gingerbreak 1.2 and I've let it run for 15 minutes a few times and I get nowhere.
I've used z4root and get nowhere.
I use superoneclick 2.3.3 and I can get as far as #7 "waiting for device" and it never get anywhere after that. I have the debugging enabled and I'm getting very frustrated that I can't get this thing to root. Please help