[News] Nook Color 1.2 update released

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
Just got home from a quick stop in my local BN. Was in the area so popped in to check out the demo unit with update.

So, its got flash. And the "extras" button now says "apps". The apps drawer had Angry Birds and a couple other new apps, but still very limited. There's a button to get more apps. This opened a "market" of 139 apps. Some I haven't seen or heard of. I did see Pulse. 139? Really? Really.

The Nook expert working the booth said I would eventually get prompted to install update when connected to WiFi, but says it shouldn't be automatic. Happy to hear that it will give me a choice on installing, because from what I saw today, I'm happy to keep my 1.1 Autonooter.

I may have missed or overlooked somethings, because I didn't mess around very long. There were other people waiting. I did however help convince a customer to buy one. Quickly told him about the rooting process :)

Disappointed. But at least its finally here.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

Why are you disappointed? As long as this new version gets rooted fairly soon I see no reason to be dissapointed. It is just one more option to choose from. You can be original stock, stock & rooted, stock and updated or run one of several custom ROMs. More options are (almost) always good.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I mean I am just disappointed that it wasn't more. With all the hype and all the waiting, guess I hoped it would be this amazing update that would blow me away. Lol. I'm definitely not complaining. I like having options. But as it stands, until its rootable, its just not for me and feels like it wasn't worth the wait. In my opinon :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I mean I am just disappointed that it wasn't more. With all the hype and all the waiting, guess I hoped it would be this amazing update that would blow me away. Lol. I'm definitely not complaining. I like having options. But as it stands, until its rootable, its just not for me and feels like it wasn't worth the wait. In my opinon :)

jonsey, are you overclocked on your nook or running the standard 800MHz? How did the update feel speed wise compared to your rooted nook?

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I'm not overclocked. Still running standard. Didn't notice any great changes in speed from what I have. Didn't play any videos, so I don't know about the lag there.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
What were some of the 139 apps? Any back, alternate or home keys?

I saw an Oprah app, some games. I only scrolled through really quick and nothing exciting jumped out at me. And sadly, I did not see any soft keys built in.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I don't like the sound of this from their web page:

"The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the next week and automatically install when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you’ll see a small green ‘n’ on the left side status bar."

Doesn't sound like you will have the option to stop the download.

arus

Feb 23, 2011
Guys, everything is the same in 1.2 ... you can feel a little of improvement regarding speed.... but thats all.. all the apps are expensive =(
Browser is "okay", flash is watchable... couldnt test with Youtube because i'm at work, but CNN was okay.... waiting for the ROOT!!!!

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
How about BlueTooth? Anyone have a chance to see if the settings include that now?

Oh, I wonder if HSN buyers are "among the first" (like, who would not be?) ... ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
We'll see how agressive the update is but I doubt/hope it will mess with the custom ROMs or rooted with CWR installed (really curious to see if this holds true).

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I don't like the sound of this from their web page:

"The software will be downloaded to your device in a rolling update over the next week and automatically install when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you’ll see a small green ‘n’ on the left side status bar."

Doesn't sound like you will have the option to stop the download.

This concerns me too. Hopefully what the store employee told me is true.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Guys, everything is the same in 1.2 ... you can feel a little of improvement regarding speed.... but thats all.. all the apps are expensive =(
Browser is "okay", flash is watchable... couldnt test with Youtube because i'm at work, but CNN was okay.... waiting for the ROOT!!!!

I noticed the apps seemed pricey as well.

rokky
How about BlueTooth? Anyone have a chance to see if the settings include that now?​

Seriously doubt bluetooth at this point.

I'd like to see what the devs can do with this update. Hopefully the code contains somethings that they can use or improve upon. Maybe some official refinements to the workarounds they have already accomplished.

I think I will be backing up my rooted 1.0.1 and then reverting to stock and loading 1.2 just to play but only because my daily driver is bootable CM7 anyway. When I get bored I'll just pop that back in :D

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
i'll use this thread for the 1.2 update now....was asking questions in the other thread.

so am I correct that the update does not break nookiefroyo or cm7 (or their variants?)

melendyk

Apr 25, 2011
Well, I reverted back to stock and installed the 1.2 update just to check it out. Like it's been said, apps are a little high in cost... some free ones, but not many. Angry Birds is $3. Yikes.

I've used CM7, but found myself going back to a rooted 1.1 for use of the Nook Book reading software. My 2.5 year old daughter loves the Read to Me and other Nook Kids Books. The free Nook app from the Market doesn't support those types of books.

Anyway, update works nice so far. Haven't played with it too much, but will root as soon as it / if it becomes available. Like the "Nook Reader" too much to run CM7... or should I say my daughter does.

It does do a complete wipe, so your books need to be re-downloaded once the update is complete.

I may revert back to 1.1 until 1.2 is rooted. Haven't decided yet. Depends on how long I can live without the market...