Overall experience with the Viewsonic Gtablet...

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Most devs package the kernal of their choice into the rom but you're free to swap it via clockworkmod if you want to try another.

For NVflash, I'd start here:
[RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks. I thought it looked familiar. I've read that probably 20 times now. Read it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Hows the BC ROM treating you? Still loving it?

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
Well Sharpe, The century eyes I had was based on froyo and it was the 2.2 version bootloader 1.2. mine came with 1.2 stock right out the box. I liked the boot up on that rom more then anyone I have tried so far. I had it overclocked to 1.5 with the kernel it came with. I just flashed gtab comb beta 3.3 last night and love it. one thing I really like about it is the icons. home, back, etc... these are very helpfull when your in the dark seeing how the ones on the gtab don't light up, this rom even has an app icon and the google search through every screen you swipe through so you can easily access them at any time. The transitions as far as photo gallery and adding widgets to your screens are very appealing. try it out sometime. I thought about getting the keyboard one but didn't, I have a laptop so I figured if I needed a board Id just get it out.I almost went with the silver carbon fiber skin but after seeing some user pics of the black one I just couldn't resist not sure what im gona get for it next maybe I try to pick your brain again lol.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
No problems with BC. I'm keeping an eye on flashback as honeycomb is hard to forget once you try it. I may go back to flashback 7.0 soon as I found that particular version the best for my tab for the moment. The honeycomb addiction is why Matt always warns everyone about trying it.

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
hmm might have to try flashback as well, I swear matt is tying to convert us all over to it lol if I wear to leave honeycomb I'd go back to the gingerbread.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
hmm might have to try flashback as well, I swear matt is tying to convert us all over to it lol if I wear to leave honeycomb I'd go back to the gingerbread.

Indeed. He's already told me about it a few times, and I'm still waiting on the tablet to arrive. lol. FedExer says the tab should be here tomorrow. Their package tracker is horrible. It still says its in transit from BF Texas for 2 days now. I don't know where it is now.

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
yeah the tracker is horrible. I left the fed ex driver a note to leave it in a cooler on my patio beside the grill and that it was ok to do so and when he/she did to please remove the note I had wrote giving permission to do so and well..............he/she left the note on the door, I had my girlfriend bring me the tab at work so I could have my way with it don't have to much fun.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
yeah the tracker is horrible. I left the fed ex driver a note to leave it in a cooler on my patio beside the grill and that it was ok to do so and when he/she did to please remove the note I had wrote giving permission to do so and well..............he/she left the note on the door, I had my girlfriend bring me the tab at work so I could have my way with it don't have to much fun.

Well, at least I'm not the only one. The tab is out for delivery today... we'll see.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
FINALLY! Gee, I've been waiting forever for your dumb tablet! ;) LOL

-Matt

Alright Matt, you win. I rooted the stock ROM, installed Root Explorer did some bloat removal, changed a few things. Wasn't happy with the "out of the box" performance, so, on went CM7Tab from Icewing. I gotta say cudo's to Icewing. This ROM works great. Did the workarounds for the Market, and voila! Awesome.

BTW, I had it rooted in 15 minutes.... ROMed 2 hours later. LOL.

sent from my CM7 Gtablet using Tapatalk

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Nice Sharpe, I need to try icewings Rom. I flashed flashback 7.2 today to show a friend I was visiting and my fiance was like "how many times can you redo that thing before it breaks" ...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Nice Sharpe, I need to try icewings Rom. I flashed flashback 7.2 today to show a friend I was visiting and my fiance was like "how many times can you redo that thing before it breaks" ...lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Your response should be "As many times as I want". LOL. The ROM works nicely. I like CM7 on my phone. On the tablet, its like a giant phone. All the adjustments are very similar. I have the Green Machine theme on my phone. I wish they made one for the Gtab.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Your response should be "As many times as I want". LOL. The ROM works nicely. I like CM7 on my phone. On the tablet, its like a giant phone. All the adjustments are very similar. I have the Green Machine theme on my phone. I wish they made one for the Gtab.

Mike, pretty impressed with your root time. Can you post a link for the instructions you used?

If CM7 on the gTab looks like a "giant phone"... :rolleyes:

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Mike, pretty impressed with your root time. Can you post a link for the instructions you used?

If CM7 on the gTab looks like a "giant phone"... :rolleyes:

-Matt

The very generic instructions used on nearly every device to be unlocked via z4root. Download and install z4root, install the file, click permanent root, wait for device to reboot. This its where it gets weird. Shut down device, reboot to recovery, wipe cache, restart. Now, if your still in boot loop, do a factory reset in recovery. That should get it working. Super use is still there, and working.

Matt, can you repost this in the thread I created in the ROM section? Just thought it might be there.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You're right, sounds simple. :) But you decided not to stay stock for long. Oh hey, I have a dare: NOW do an nvflash back to stock 3588 (or did yours come with the 4349 firmware?). -Matt