RAW photo viewer/editor

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Check out the cr2 thumbnailer app from s.Holst, they have just posted an nef viewer for nikon too which seems to work quite well.

Search for nef-thumbnailer demo

Thanks for that ... I've downloaded the version he has up. I'll have to shoot a few pics to check it out later. If it works nicely I may just have to start shooting in RAW!

Groan

May 9, 2011
Honeycomb on the acer iconia. The 3.0. Hoping to get 3.1 this month.

Posted from my Moto Atrix on Tapatalk

Oxize

Jun 2, 2011
I got an Sony A350 (arw files) and placed a few raw images on my Asus Transformer (HoneyComb 3.1). But it is not working. The program start, trying to decode the arw file, but the program crashed then.

Isnt there any Raw viewer for sony arw files?

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Jun 2, 2011
I think the program works for my A900 raws, but with no info, i guess i am not really sure. I had two raw files in a folder, and told it to decode that folder. It seemed like it did, and i had the two images viewable in the app. I left the program the first time, and saw nothing in the folder ( Root Explorer). Ran the decoder again, and this time they stuck around.

Problem is, the JPGs that are there are not full size from the raws (looks to be about 1/4 the size). I am guessing that this is the normal behavior, but with no documentation on anything, I am only guessing.

Anyway, not a bad start - but it would really help to provide info. Things like supported cameras, and such. Keep it up.. hopefully things will keep improving.

Oxize

Jun 2, 2011
That program "Mrsmith" for the Ipad looks verry neat. Wished we had something like that for Honeycomb :(

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
While most tablets ship with microSD slots, there's not that many that ship with the full SD. I only know of the HSG X5A/Coby Kyros MID7005 that does the full SD slot right now. I don't know of a single one that does compact flash.

Good idea though!

The good tablets have a USB port that you can use a card reader with, my A500 works fine with a reader.

Pete

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
Can you use DNG RAW format? My K-5 and K-7 can produce DNG format RAW's and Android can at least read the embedded preview file.

Pete

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Can you use DNG RAW format? My K-5 and K-7 can produce DNG format RAW's and Android can at least read the embedded preview file.

Pete

I also have the A500, but I use a MicroSD card in an adapter in my Nikon D90. There's no issues with lag (and I use the high speed burst mode while shooting hockey and soccer). Once I find an acceptable program I'll be able to pop the card out of my camera and into the tab...no extra devices required!
Love my tablet!

Apr 11, 2011
I think the program works for my A900 raws, but with no info, i guess i am not really sure. I had two raw files in a folder, and told it to decode that folder. It seemed like it did, and i had the two images viewable in the app. I left the program the first time, and saw nothing in the folder ( Root Explorer). Ran the decoder again, and this time they stuck around.

Problem is, the JPGs that are there are not full size from the raws (looks to be about 1/4 the size). I am guessing that this is the normal behavior, but with no documentation on anything, I am only guessing.

Anyway, not a bad start - but it would really help to provide info. Things like supported cameras, and such. Keep it up.. hopefully things will keep improving.

You're getting ahead of me...documentation...what's that? :p. Currently I'm only extracting the thumbnails internal to the RAW. I wanted the framework in place then I'll allow an advanced decode for the full view. It's worked great on my 5d mii to get the true image, but there's a lot more room for error, so I don't want to release this capability just yet. Once I have everything in place I'm going to set up a page for folks to self-report their success/failure with cameras so I can get an honest list. I'll have documentation set up early next week once I hammer out the last few kinks.

Apr 11, 2011
rcketscientist,
Thought I should give some feedback. I tried the version which is on the website. My device is Galaxy Tab:
- font in file browser is large, but element height is small, thus only upper half of letters is visible. It's kinda ugly =)

Do you have any strange themes loaded, 3flight? I can't see a reason for this particular problem, and of course I can't reproduce it.
Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Ok guys, it's finally up on the market. I got rid of the context menus in favor of buttons, works a lot nicer. Everything else should be familiar, but hopefully more responsive/less buggy. Importantly, I've added a pixel level zoom to the image viewer. Click to zoom to that location. Click again to go back to full view.

Unfortunately you still have to remove the thumbnails yourselves, but that's my next priority, along with allowing for a full decode.

You can also click on files in the explorer to test if RawDroid will support a full decode of your image type (You'll get a simple message back). In the future this would bring you to a full view, but I thought it would be good to have a simple answer as to whether you would see full support or not in the next version.

RawDroid!

Oxize

Jun 2, 2011
Ok guys, it's finally up on the market. I got rid of the context menus in favor of buttons, works a lot nicer. Everything else should be familiar, but hopefully more responsive/less buggy. Importantly, I've added a pixel level zoom to the image viewer. Click to zoom to that location. Click again to go back to full view.

Unfortunately you still have to remove the thumbnails yourselves, but that's my next priority, along with allowing for a full decode.

You can also click on files in the explorer to test if RawDroid will support a full decode of your image type (You'll get a simple message back). In the future this would bring you to a full view, but I thought it would be good to have a simple answer as to whether you would see full support or not in the next version.

RawDroid!

Working with my Asus Transformer. The only thing it seem its not in full screens. Guess you didnt make it compatible with tablets which have bigger screens?

Great work imo!!! Keep up!