RAW photo viewer/editor

3flight

May 27, 2011
Please put it on Market, I'm already willing to pay for this, even though you give it for free :)

Apr 11, 2011
Please put it on Market, I'm already willing to pay for this, even though you give it for free :)

lol, I will sometime next week. My goal was to hammer out the kinks to avoid bad ratings even in a free demo version so I can get a decent picture of what my market saturation would be for a paid version.

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
Yah, looks pretty good. For Canon the embedded thumbnail is decent enough quality to cheat that way. I've almost got all the framework in place, hopefully have a respectable release tomorrow.

Apart from being for Canon, what is the difference between the app on the market and your app?

Apr 11, 2011
Apart from being for Canon, what is the difference between the app on the market and your app?

Well, CR2-only makes it much easier to make your typical app interface that can find files, etc. Functionally it sounds like he's just pulling out the embedded jpeg in the raw file (no real decode). For CR2 the jpeg happens to be excellent quality, so that's sufficient for a viewer, I imagine he might run into difficulty on smaller resolution cameras if he introduced zoom, etc.

In the current version I've released to folks I'm doing the same thing. This is what I'll eventually call "simple mode". For cameras I can't support fully I can usually at least pull the embedded jpeg. It's faster also. So it gives those folks something. Unfortunately the embedded jpeg is sometimes poor quality.

I have a more advanced version that actually decodes the raw file, generating pixel for pixel data (at least for my 5D mii, so far). As my viewer improves (or if your camera is supported but has a low quality thumbnail) this will help with high res viewing and even minor raw manipulation if I ever get that far. This would be a setting that could be switched back and forth.

3flight

May 27, 2011
rcketscientist,
Thought I should give some feedback. I tried the version which is on the website. My device is Galaxy Tab:
- font in file browser is large, but element height is small, thus only upper half of letters is visible. It's kinda ugly =)
- file browser again - please sort by name. Best is to sort by name disregarding letter case.
- file browser again - if I click on a CR2 file I really want to view it's contents (i.e. full screen embedded jpeg with pinch-zoom interaction for ex.) and not just get a text line with the filename. Longpress option to decode is also welcome... er.. I'd say, necessary =)
- In file browser itself, icons showing embedded jpg would be nice. So you won't need to check every image before you find one that you want to decode if you don't want to decode all images. I think "Decode images here" option, which currently produces thumbnails, is not needed at all if you can see icons (preferrably big). Though "decode all" would be useful when it actually decodes, but not thumbnail generation.
- file browser again - back button should bring you up one level, instead of giving an empty screen, I think.
- menu button panel. "exit" there.
- integrate extension within android - so that I could open CR2 files in any file manager which has "open with..." option. Don't really know if this can be achieved though.

Well, most of this is obviously missing because you spent time on the core idea, it's understood.
All in all, thank you for your great work, I'm looking forward to seeng this app on the market.

Apr 11, 2011
rcketscientist,
Thought I should give some feedback. I tried the version which is on the website. My device is Galaxy Tab:
- font in file browser is large, but element height is small, thus only upper half of letters is visible. It's kinda ugly =)
- file browser again - please sort by name. Best is to sort by name disregarding letter case.
- file browser again - if I click on a CR2 file I really want to view it's contents (i.e. full screen embedded jpeg with pinch-zoom interaction for ex.) and not just get a text line with the filename. Longpress option to decode is also welcome... er.. I'd say, necessary =)
- In file browser itself, icons showing embedded jpg would be nice. So you won't need to check every image before you find one that you want to decode if you don't want to decode all images. I think "Decode images here" option, which currently produces thumbnails, is not needed at all if you can see icons (preferrably big). Though "decode all" would be useful when it actually decodes, but not thumbnail generation.
- file browser again - back button should bring you up one level, instead of giving an empty screen, I think.
- menu button panel. "exit" there.
- integrate extension within android - so that I could open CR2 files in any file manager which has "open with..." option. Don't really know if this can be achieved though.

Well, most of this is obviously missing because you spent time on the core idea, it's understood.
All in all, thank you for your great work, I'm looking forward to seeng this app on the market.

Thanks for the input. I'm not quite ready for suggestions yet. All your points are well noted, I dislike them also, but everything is a means to an end for now. That said I'm working on a forum when I get frustrated with whatever I'm currently working on and one of the main aspects will be a suggestion board. I'll let you guys know when it's ready (after I've already gotten the obvious ones outa the way).

TheZuneLune

Feb 21, 2011
Whne you post your app in the market, please make sure you tag it "DSLR." The apps are pretty tasteless when you do a search for "RAW".

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread ... but I have a question that you folks might be able to answer.

I'm looking for an app that can take my full resolution DSLR pictures (Nikon D90 ... don't hate me since I'm not Canon please?) and allow me to review/delete bad pics and crop (at a locked ratio...preferably 4x6) and resave at full resulting resolution. A couple apps that I've tried will save at a fractional resolution (up to a 1/6 the comparable size of cropping on a computer).

I take pics at my kids' travel sports and would like to start editing pics while my husband is driving us home. I shoot in JPEG (which works for me).

All of the Droid apps I'm finding are goofy, fun-type programs. I am willing to pay for it. I came close to buying Resco for my WinMo phone ... but I won't have that for long now ... and they don't have a Droid option :-(

Pam

Apr 11, 2011
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread ... but I have a question that you folks might be able to answer.

I'm looking for an app that can take my full resolution DSLR pictures (Nikon D90 ... don't hate me since I'm not Canon please?) and allow me to review/delete bad pics and crop (at a locked ratio...preferably 4x6) and resave at full resulting resolution. A couple apps that I've tried will save at a fractional resolution (up to a 1/6 the comparable size of cropping on a computer).

I take pics at my kids' travel sports and would like to start editing pics while my husband is driving us home. I shoot in JPEG (which works for me).

All of the Droid apps I'm finding are goofy, fun-type programs. I am willing to pay for it. I came close to buying Resco for my WinMo phone ... but I won't have that for long now ... and they don't have a Droid option :-(

Pam

That's about the extent of the editing capabilities I was planning. I wasn't initially intending to handle straight jpeg images, but I'll keep your interests in mind. Thanks.

iceagescrat

May 6, 2011
Check out the cr2 thumbnailer app from s.Holst, they have just posted an nef viewer for nikon too which seems to work quite well.

Search for nef-thumbnailer demo

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
That's about the extent of the editing capabilities I was planning. I wasn't initially intending to handle straight jpeg images, but I'll keep your interests in mind. Thanks.

Thanks ... Adobe has their Photoshop Express out there ... but they're one of the ones that reduces the resolution if you can believe it!