[REQ][RECOVERY] Recovery Image for MID 7,8,1024

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
MODS if this in the wrong section please move to the proper section.

I know right now alot of people may not have this tablet, but we have achieved root. Once we get a recovery image we can really unleash this device. Right now the device is fairly locked down, but with a recovery image we can unleash this make a little faster and more stable.

If any one is willing to build or help me build a recovery, it would be greatly appreciated!

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
MODS if this in the wrong section please move to the proper section.

I know right now alot of people may not have this tablet, but we have achieved root. Once we get a recovery image we can really unleash this device. Right now the device is fairly locked down, but with a recovery image we can unleash this make a little faster and more stable.

If any one is willing to build or help me build a recovery, it would be greatly appreciated!

Based on ZenTsang's findings and a chat with Coby's less than stellar tech support I'm thinking the recovery image is already in our hands. Tech support stated that you can recover back to factory original by holding the home + power button and selecting from the menu. They also said we would loose everything we installed and setup on the tablet. In my mind the easiest way for them to do that is to apply an existing img stored on the tablet. I'm a bit swamped today but perhaps tonight I'll start looking for a " larger than usual " file on my tablet. Been trying to pull root explorer from my phone, ( I paid for it ) but have not located the apk yet. Estrongs search does not seem to work.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Just do what I do make a back up of it with ti back up pull the back up files from your sd card put them on the tablets sd card, and go into ti back up on the tablet and install app.

momac

Apr 15, 2011
Dave52355/Mudknot2005 .... can we get clarification on this?

I am hesitant to work on the system files without being sure that a recovery can be successfully performed. I would like to see a Debian or similar on this tablet but I dare not tinker without a confirmed recovery plan. Also, are we able to recover from an image on the SD card like the 7015? I believe the only recovery I have seen mentioned is the factory restore and I think those instructions involved removing the SD card altogether.

Any help is appreciated by all of us wanting to crack this device.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Dave52355/Mudknot2005 .... can we get clarification on this?

I am hesitant to work on the system files without being sure that a recovery can be successfully performed. I would like to see a Debian or similar on this tablet but I dare not tinker without a confirmed recovery plan. Also, are we able to recover from an image on the SD card like the 7015? I believe the only recovery I have seen mentioned is the factory restore and I think those instructions involved removing the SD card altogether.

Any help is appreciated by all of us wanting to crack this device.

Apparently the tablet has a built in restore to default function but I am not sure how it works. My initial thinking was that a hidden partition/image contains the img, however another member here in his testing has lost that restore function. It may be something where added file names and locations are held in a separate FAT type table or the Linux equivalent and symlinked to the boot record/root system, Making a factory restore as simple as resetting that separate table and recreating it. Would make life simple for Coby's tech support folks. Plus no need for a full image file taking space. There currently is NO factory image file that has been released that can be used to un-brick a 7024. My personal feeling is that although I did not mind the risk in developing a root plan, I'm very hesitant about messing with the boot setup or kernel without a viable recovery.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
That is about where I stand, too. I could start cooking a rom, but it would be risky to flash with out having access to the recovery. Especially when the device doesn't recognize usb while it is in its "bootloader/update" state. Seems like the device is a little more locked down then we initially thought.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Been poking around not getting very far however. The 7024 based on a UTV210 system board of which there are several of these models out there in various forms. The HeroTab C8 is one. There are ROM's available for the C8, but I've yet to see Clockwork Recovery installed on these. An interesting side note is the UTC210 system boards use a small internal SD card slot with a standard mini SD card. So it might be feasible to bump up the internal memory from 4G to 8, 16, maybe 32G.

Something else I find interesting is the version of Android on the tablet came from T-Mobile. It may be a modified version of the original Android on the Galaxy Tab. On the Tab they are flashing a modified kernel that allows Rom Manager to install Clockwork Recovery. I have Rom Manager installed but have not attempted to flash a modified kernel. There would be a real good chance of bricking my tablet. At this point, I'm comfortable with how it is functioning without destroying it. If it had been a local purchase that I could simply return I'd be more willing to take the risk.

Last edited:

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Dave can you link me? I can't seem to find anything on the hero tab, I will try it. I am not to concerned about the soft buttons. To be honest they annoy me sometimes, but if it does work then all it would take is baking the drivers into the rom for the buttons.

edit: trying to figure out how to take the back off, so I can pull the sd card and back up the system.

edit2: ehhh I am just going to flash it and see what happens. If I brick it then Ill have to wait till some one decides to pop the top pull the sd card and is kind enough to post their backed up file system XD.

edit3: Seems it is already bricked as I cannot get it to boot, and I haven't even touched it in almost a week.

Last edited:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Dave can you link me? I can't seem to find anything on the hero tab, I will try it. I am not to concerned about the soft buttons. To be honest they annoy me sometimes, but if it does work then all it would take is baking the drivers into the rom for the buttons.

edit: trying to figure out how to take the back off, so I can pull the sd card and back up the system.

edit2: ehhh I am just going to flash it and see what happens. If I brick it then Ill have to wait till some one decides to pop the top pull the sd card and is kind enough to post their backed up file system XD.

Hey Mud be careful the back looks very thin! Hopefully the card is removable and not soldered in. The soft buttons are very sensitive. I've been looking for the settings to hopefully adjust them.

I came across this on another site: Find: “ro.secure=1” and change it to “ro.secure=0” Find: “ro.debuggable=0” and change it to “ro.debuggable=1” I did make these changes and looking with Root Explorer it appears to unlock more of the tablet. This is found in the Build.prop.

HeroTab C8 info on Slatedroid. Galaxy Tab info on XDA

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Hahaha well... for some reason she is completely bricked, it won't boot and won't go into system update. I was going to try the herotab c8 firmware, but hahaha not untill I get it to boot in some way or another.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Not sure honestly. Last thing I did was push gapps to it. It was working fine last week. Last time I played with it really. Now it will only boot to the coby screen goes black then back to coby screen then shuts off. System update starts but the screen goes blank. I haven't flashed any recovery or anything to crazy. Can't connect to it with adb.

edit: looks like I am going to have to find out how to pull the back off, I am thinking maybe a hair dryer to soften the plastic a little...

Last edited: