Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
Hello All,

Total newbie to rooting here. Bought the MID7042 this weekend for $98 at Fry's and decided to try and root it. Read through this thread and the custom rom thread and decided to give it a try. Now I'm bricked with the touchscreen not working.

I downloaded and installed LiveSuit 1.07 (Win 7 64 bit) and tried to flash the cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip from steev. Tried multiple times but the tablet would only cycle through the "coby" and "android" screens and would never boot up.

Gave up on that and tried to return to stock. Installed the coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip image and while it will boot now I don't have touchscreen capability.

Any input would be greatly, greatly appreciated since I now have a non functioning tablet!!!!

I'd like to get it up and running again first, and then see if anybody can figure out why the root isn't working.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
Hello All,

Total newbie to rooting here. Bought the MID7042 this weekend for $98 at Fry's and decided to try and root it. Read through this thread and the custom rom thread and decided to give it a try. Now I'm bricked with the touchscreen not working.

I downloaded and installed LiveSuit 1.07 (Win 7 64 bit) and tried to flash the cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip from steev. Tried multiple times but the tablet would only cycle through the "coby" and "android" screens and would never boot up.

Gave up on that and tried to return to stock. Installed the coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip image and while it will boot now I don't have touchscreen capability.

Any input would be greatly, greatly appreciated since I now have a non functioning tablet!!!!

I'd like to get it up and running again first, and then see if anybody can figure out why the root isn't working.

Thanks,

Dan

im in the same boat... i just bought this today at frys and the cfwcoby70424.0.3.0.1.zip failed to run correctly it would boot but eventually just get stuck in bootloop. I have a dump but i cant reflash my stock because its not in the .img format? or can i flash the boot.img with out the full rom? i got my tablet to function on the dual_TS.zip; however it just freezes all the time and i have to reload it. which makes this tablet pretty useless. it froze on my just installing appz!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Good you did the right thing first, you made a backup now run a md5sum on the boot.img compare it to the two I posted in my thread let me know which one it matches.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Guys, how can I make a Dump of an original tablet? I had a problem with mine and I'll try to get a dump from a friend's tablet.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks! The 7042 is one of the firmware dumps I'm looking for.

Attached is a script that will dump your firmware.

Instructions:
- Install the ADB drivers for your device. (This guide here should work)
- Root your device (see here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...s-coby-generation-3-devices-2.html#post206352)
- Download and unzip the attached file
- Run dump.bat
- Click "allow" if the Superuser dialog pops up on your tablet.

The firmware files will be in the "dump" folder.
Steev, does this script works for MID9742-8?

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Steev, I'm sending you the firmware dump (system dump bootloader.img, recovery..img, boot.img) for MID9742-8 extracted from my friend's tablet. This one is for those with upside down problem. I hope you can make a rom for that. Thanks in advance.

delve

Jun 9, 2012
Had to register on the forum just to thank you guys for exploring this for everyone. So thanks Steev, RedDeer, PatriotsWrath, and everyone else who labored on this. My son will be happy to open his rooted tablet on his birthday. :)

ultraman

Jun 16, 2012
I root my Coby Kryos MID9742. Everything was fine except for the camera. Now when I try to open the camera app (or some other app tries to access the camera) I get an error:

Camera error
Can't connect to the camera

I tried Googling this but can't find anyone else that hit this. Have other people how have rooted the MID9742 had this problem?

BTW Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information on this thread about how to root the device. It's my first even Android device and I was able to root it without too much stress. :)

Thank you everyone who contributed to the post and taught me how to root and install google play. however, i have the same problem as whupper. Everything is working perfectly except I can no longer use my camera...

Help please!

THANK YOU!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Just got my 9742 today. Here's yet another dump, but with a bit of a twist: MID9742 Dump v3.rar

My version is different from the other two versions already posted in that the files are dated even later, and most importantly, init.sun4i.rc apparently no longer contains the chmod line used to render SU inert. I've completely shut down my tablet on multiple occasions now and every time I've ran an app requiring superuser permissions I've been successful. But you can check it out for yourselves if you wish.

brightlight

Jun 19, 2012
Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

If this works I look forward to seeing some custom ROMs from the Coby community :)

Thanks Steev for the flashing instructions. I have a Coby Kyros 7042 tablet. I exactly followed the given steps, after the 4th step I do see a message "initial failed (513)" on the livesuit application screen (in the pc screen) and nothing else happens. Anyone has an idea why this happens. I want to have google play installed on my tablet. Any help on this is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.