Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sorry if I'm dense, I'm brand new to this stuff. So if I zip all four files (including system.tgz), and use that zip to do a restore through cwm, it will take my tablet back to EXACTLY how it was when I did the dump? No changes/additions/deletions that occurred after the dump will remain? If so, that's awesome (and simple!).

Thank you for your replies.

Here is a thread I made to help you install your dump.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...750-how-restore-your-7042-8042-9742-dump.html

TEAMOMENTUM

Jul 22, 2012
So essentially I did exactly what was at the start of the thread. Although I could not solve my issue until I downloaded a different LiveSuit package. I grabbed the Novo 7 1.7.2 update package and used LiveSuit 1.07 from there.

I installed PDANet
Then used the newly downloaded LiveSuit package.
This time when I went into upgrade mode it in fact loaded all the drivers just look it should.

Update to the rooted version of the 7042 package -- reboot

From there yes you do get the encryption failure, do the reset it prompts and after that completes you are rooted.

I grabbed the latest ICS gapps package Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Then extracted it to a folder.

I loaded Android Commander (as Im not an adb wizard)

I used AC to push the entire set of apps from the gapps package \gapps folder\system\app into \system\app on the tablet (you may want to either remove the stock gallery first or strip the gallery apk from gapps when you push it or you end up with two as one is gallery and one is gallery2)

Then use adb or AC to push the voicesearch library lib.voicesearch.so from \gapps folder\system\lib to \system\lib on the tablet

reboot and open playstore..

set account info and you're off and running.

had to load gmail from the playstore... that version of gapps does not include it but it loads fine from the store.

But it works and synchs.

Voice search works

Titanium BU is working...

etc

ok, after hours of learning what things mean so that way I am doing it correctly, I still have not yet to see my tablet get google store. What am I doing wrong?

TEAMOMENTUM

Jul 22, 2012
ok, after hours of learning what things mean so that way I am doing it correctly, I still have not yet to see my tablet get google store. What am I doing wrong?

ok, nevermind..its working beautifully. Imma make more simplier instructions for people who are not as tech savy...thank God I understood enough to figure it out, but i can see how someone would struggle with this, so I will make a simple, step by step for noobies like myself...thanks again! I love my freaking tablet now!

TEAMOMENTUM

Jul 22, 2012
Hello everyone. Some of us are not as techy so here is what you need to do if you want Play Store on your Coby Mid9742. I am not a developer, I just followed the instructions of these good fellows, @steve and @patriotswrath. These instructions are only for people who have a pc running on 32 bit. You can figure that out on your own.

1. You must download PDA.net Go to the How to Install and follow the instructions
a. make sure yor tablet's usb is plugged directly into the USB of your pc. READ EVERYTHING and do EXACTLY what they tell you to do

2. Turn off your tablet after you have finished following the PDA.net steps

3. Go to steve's steps on the first thread. And follow his instructions exactly
A. when following his instructions:
a. Make a new folder on your desktop titled Frameware
b. download coby zip for mid 9742
c. download livesuite zip
d. put livesuite zip in frameware folder
e. continue with steve's instructions
4. Go to patriotswrath thread
A. Download Android Commander
1. Open Android Commander and follow patriotswrath instructions
a. when you choose the files to push, a open dialog will appear on your pc. Go to the files you are pushing and select all the files to be pushed for the app
b. tricky part. you don't do the same for lib. you only select ONE of the files in the folder to be pushed.
c. finish with the rest of the instructions. Reboot means to turn yor tablet of and then back on.

These are the things that totally had me stumped reading their threads...I hope i put this in lamon terms for yall..

you basically changing the way the computer reads and adding certain restrictions to allow play to be access...its pretty cool that even I got it running...awesome!

amboycruz

Jul 25, 2012
good day... i have just both a coby 9742 tablet... i badly wanted to have the google market app then i tried steve roms but eventually got the it right, but that sad part is the touch is in reverse and my camera is not working... does anyone has a ROM of the original coby 9742? please... i do not care anymore if i dont have the google market... please...

amboycruz

Jul 25, 2012
mr swalker i know i am off topic... it is my first time to be able to purchased a good tablet but sadly i brick it.. i have used steve rom.. my tablet is coby 9742, i followed all steps but i ended having a reverse touch and camerca not working... please i beg of you if there anything i could do to just please teach me to fix my tab... please..

amboycruz

Jul 25, 2012
@Patriotswrath

Its a beautiful thing! I had some issues with the script last night. Went ahead and decided I would test those precedures above...had never used AC before. Works like a charm sir! Works like a charm!

Running my Mid9742 fully rooted and running Google Play thanks to Steev's images and Patriotswrath's instructions. Zero issues to report. At this very moment...we are there. :-D Great work boys.

i see that you finally had your coby 9742 tab to work... im still stuck with the reverse touch and camera still not working.. any luck for me pls? i mean like the entire procedure, and it would be best if u put the sites to find and all.. please i am very desperate...

bbrio1

Jul 26, 2012
Instructions from Red Deer's post on page 15 worked for me (sort of - see below). Obviously, big thanks are in order for Steev, for posting the necessary stuff.

As far as the operation, it went OK, although had to do it a couple of times (powering down the tablet and then starting from scratch). I did NOT however get the automatic restart of the tablet (or any messages during the flash process), so after about the third try I just disconnected the USB and powered up the Coby manually. It took a while to start (I was thinking I bricked it) but it started and I saw I had some new stuff on it (like SuperUser app). Also had to go through the little set up routine, date, location etc, and reset up the Wifi and Google Market account.

So basically it seems to be working fine. Prior to this I was able to install Google Market or Android market or whatever it's called by following instructions on a YouTube video, and I finally got the market installed.....but it didn't work - couldn't buy or download anything.

Now its working perfectly, have bought and installed 3 apps, all are working. So very happy with the instructions in this thread.

By the way, I'm a complete newbie and even so, managed to fumble through it. A quick question: does this mean my tablet has been 'rooted'?

Tinyton

Jul 29, 2012
Hello, I'm relatively new to these tablets and have just acquired 2 model 1042 tablets. I've had an enjoyable time reading through the innovations and progressions that everyone has collectively made to get these rooted and with the Google Playset embedded into these things. My question is: I see the roms for the 9742 and 7042 models, but is there another rom for the 1042 model? If not what information can I give in order to make that a possibility? I fairly tech savvy, but by no means a programmer. I figure in this room of tablet geniuses Ill find someone who will take on this project for me! :) Thanks in advance!

Folken

Jul 18, 2012
I believe I was successfully able to dump the firmware for a MID7035-4. I would like to post my results for someone to spot check, so I was curious what is the preferred file hosting service for this board?

Thanks

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
I have a MPMAN MID104C which would appear to be a simple rebranding of the Coby 1042.
If I make a f/w dump, would you be OK to have a quick look and just tell me whether these two tablets are exact clones or not?
The MID104C comes pre-rooted i.e. you get straight to a root shell with adb. It would appear that it's not the same with the 1042 or is it?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. unfortunately MPMAN does *not* make firmware available for download either :-(

Last edited:

voyeurtp

Sep 7, 2010
Folken:
After I got my 7035-4 rooted I wanted to change the LCD-density from 120 to 140. I modified the build.prop file and and rebooted. The tablet does not unlock anymore and show SYSTEM UI HAS STOPPED message.
I could not find a forum from where I could download the factory ROM.
Reading the previous page I found Vampirefo comments that one could restore using the Dump files so I used your Damp files for this tablet and tried to restore. I get a message that it can´t verify the files.

I will appreciate your help

I created an restore .zip files with the dump files

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.