Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvdzun

Jun 20, 2012
I am requesting firmware dumps from Coby Generation 3 (MIDxx42) devices using the Allwinner A10 SoC.
With these I should be able to create firmware restore images to be used for unbricking.

Firmware dump instructions here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...mps-coby-generation-3-devices.html#post205970

Then upload the *.img files and system.tgz you pulled

Thanks

Coby doesn't provide firmware downloads for these tablets, which is why I'm trying to put these together.

UPDATE:

WARNING:
I have tested these on my Novo 7 Elf tablet which has similar hardware and it worked, but I can't guarantee they work on the Coby tablets since I do not have the hardware to test.
Therefore, I recommend that somebody with an already bricked tablet be the first to try it.

Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 7042:

It was discovered that Coby is using 2 different touchscreens in the 7042 models, goodix and ft5x_ts.

The firmware below should support both touchscreens:
coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.zip (Thanks David for the dump), Confirmed working by David

The following firmware only supports 7042 models with Goodix touchscreens:
coby_7042_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to Joe88 for providing the dump)
md5: 3c014061580d74c4c6b112204f3deb92

Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 9742
coby_9742_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to RedDeer for providing the dump), Confirmed working by swalker5906
md5: 71a31c954e164a0bb7f19bbd1a143d7a

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

If this works I look forward to seeing some custom ROMs from the Coby community :)

I have the dumps. Now how do I create the recovery image to be used in Livesuite? Or is it the recovery.img

Last edited by a moderator:

Latte17

Jun 28, 2012
I need help to restoring my coby kyros 7042 to stock firmware that is unrooted. I rooted with steevs custom mod but forgot to backup my stock. I am not sure if the reason is a faulty hardware or from the rom. Everytime I run an app like angry birds space, soon after the tablet would just freeze and I would have to reset it or force shutdown. I was wondering if anyone has a stock firmware for 7042 so I can restore and return for a hopefully non-faulty one. I have a coby kyros 7042 ice cream sandwich with capacitive touch. The game freezes even after clearing cache and killing tasks. Please help, Thank you

Last edited:

RolandTD

Jul 2, 2012
Im sorry for going off topic but i need help rooting my mid 9742 tab and getting clockwork mod if possible...

jethwa0902

Jul 3, 2012
Can anyone post/upload restore image for Coby MID9042-8..looks something similar to this (coby_9042_4.0.3). I forgot to make a backup so can you please upload it. Thanks

jethwa0902

Jul 3, 2012
the stock rom is for 9742 and mine is 9042.. I flashed "cwf_coby_9742_4.0.3_1.img" using livesuite and after that I think due to resolution conflict between the 2 models my devices display got screwed. I didn't make a dump file.. Any suggestions...

jethwa0902

Jul 3, 2012
I am attaching some images about the display issue I am facing with my tablet. Hope someone can rectify it.. $DSC_0064.jpg$DSC_0063.jpg

lthomas926

Jul 6, 2012
i just got the 1042-8 will this work on it or can someone help me getting the google apps on it please. im so lost

Crutch

Jul 4, 2012
I have the dumps. Now how do I create the recovery image to be used in Livesuite? Or is it the recovery.img

I have been unable to find instructions on how to do this anywhere. Before I've tried different ROMs, etc. I've performed dumps, so I could hopefully restore to an earlier setup if it performed better.

So now I've got several dumps (boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system.tgz), but no idea how I would use these files to restore my system to a previous state. I have a MID7042. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have been unable to find instructions on how to do this anywhere. Before I've tried different ROMs, etc. I've performed dumps, so I could hopefully restore to an earlier setup if it performed better.

So now I've got several dumps (boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system.tgz), but no idea how I would use these files to restore my system to a previous state. I have a MID7042. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

just use google

how to build livesuit image

https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/73

Crutch

Jul 4, 2012
just use google

how to build livesuit image

https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/73

Thanks, but I don't think that will help me at this point. Those instructions look like a method to extract and build an image of your CURRENT setup. Too late for that. I've installed a custom ROM that I don't like, and I'd like to be able to go back to my previous config. I have the files (boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system.tgz) from my previous state, but I don't know how to use them to generate an image.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks, but I don't think that will help me at this point. Those instructions look like a method to extract and build an image of your CURRENT setup. Too late for that. I've installed a custom ROM that I don't like, and I'd like to be able to go back to my previous config. I have the files (boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system.tgz) from my previous state, but I don't know how to use them to generate an image.

I am not following you, you simply replace the boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img and system with yours, that is all a livesuite image is, that is why you were ask to backup boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system, so they could be put into a livesuite image.

now if you have cwm installed you can simply make a restore zip put all your files in it and flash it via cwm, you really only need to flash system through cwm, but you can flash them all if you want.

Crutch

Jul 4, 2012
I am not following you, you simply replace the boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img and system with yours, that is all a livesuite image is, that is why you were ask to backup boot.img bootloader.img recovery.img system, so they could be put into a livesuite image.

now if you have cwm installed you can simply make a restore zip put all your files in it and flash it via cwm, you really only need to flash system through cwm, but you can flash them all if you want.

Sorry if I'm dense, I'm brand new to this stuff. So if I zip all four files (including system.tgz), and use that zip to do a restore through cwm, it will take my tablet back to EXACTLY how it was when I did the dump? No changes/additions/deletions that occurred after the dump will remain? If so, that's awesome (and simple!).

Thank you for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.