Reverting back after using EXT4

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
Ok so here is my question,...
I have read up on and understand installing CM7 or HC using the bootable EXT4 sd recovery.

What i don't think i understand is the process of reverting back to normal recovery and going back to 2.1 (1.1 or 1.0.1) Can anyone explain this process to me or provide me with a link to instructions? Help is much appreciated.

Sent from my NC using Android Tablet Forum App

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
As of now, i don't know of any step by step instructions. Since this new stuff is being directed at the higher level folks, no one is taking the time to do it. It's on my list however, and is something that I will make a diary of very soon. However, in the meantime a very abbreviated revert instruction:

1. use the original bootable SD (non EXT4) to apply uninstallclockwork.zip
  2. then format /system, /data, and /cache
  3. remove the bootable SD and Reboot
the device should bootloop 8 times before deciding it's useless and begins to restore the factory.zip

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
thanks faceman..
sucks that you have to go back to factory every time.. wish there was an easier way to restore 2.1

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
thanks faceman..
sucks that you have to go back to factory every time.. wish there was an easier way to restore 2.1

In theory there is, I have NOT tested this yet, but you can try:
Reverting back to any other AOSP
**This requires having a seperate SD card or overwriting the image of the ext4 card
**All files needed are available as part of the
** "Monster RootPack/Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD" [][RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers
** "Nook Color Restore to Stock" [][RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers
**You will need the following files:
** CWR-removal.zip (both threads have a CWR removal file or two, take your pick)
** repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
** your most recent NON-CM7 nand backup -OR- your preferred stock recovery .zip
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (original_CWR - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5) [one made using the Monster RootPack thread]
3. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache (this is for good measure)
3. back to main menu
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "CWR-removal.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "repartition-boot-with-stock.zip"
** If restoring to a nand backup, skip to step 9
6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "nook-complete-restore-1.0.x.zip"
7. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
8. reboot (AND DONT DO STEPS 9-11)
** Only complete these steps if restoring a nand backup and NOT restoring to stock
9. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
10. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
11. reboot

I imagine that doing the nand restore method should put you back to where you were. I will test this eventually, but have more pressing things on my plate right now.

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
wow thanks faceman that was exactly what i was looking for.. i hope it works!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
wow thanks faceman that was exactly what i was looking for.. i hope it works!

Please let me know, and if you don't mind document your experience because this is a process I haven't tested myself yet. I would love your feedback.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I am having some problems with reverting back. I had cm7 nightlies installed. I have used the "nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip" even, and when rebooting, it gets stuck at the "n" screen. I have tried the instructions listed above as well.

However, after re-reading right now, I think I figured out the problem. It says that I need to overwrite the ext4 boot image. I placed all that junk on top of the ext4 sd card and used that. Guess now is a good time to try the new clockwork that supports both ext3 and ext4.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I am having some problems with reverting back. I had cm7 nightlies installed. I have used the "nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip" even, and when rebooting, it gets stuck at the "n" screen. I have tried the instructions listed above as well.

However, after re-reading right now, I think I figured out the problem. It says that I need to overwrite the ext4 boot image. I placed all that junk on top of the ext4 sd card and used that. Guess now is a good time to try the new clockwork that supports both ext3 and ext4.

Sounds like you figured it out.