Root and Gapps for Telechips, 7032,7034,7036,7048,8048

mommibee

Jun 3, 2013
Renaming the file back isn't an option as I'm stuck in the bootloop. I don't have adb installed but I think I have the cwm but as I'm looking at the copy of the back up I did on the laptop, I can't seem to see where it is. If I'm able to download the Coby-signed update.zip how do create/install it?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you have ClockworkMod on the tablet then you don't even need to worry about the signature. The flashable zip in that case could be made without it.

mommibee

Jun 3, 2013
That"s the problem traveller. The cwm does not seem to work. As I've read many times here, the cwm should appear once you do a press on the - and power button combo but it's not showing from the selectable list. I didn't download it. It came with the tablet when we got it. Is there a way where I can get a copy of the signature?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You'll have to ask Vampirefo, because I don't believe you can use the signature from the update zips he has available.

mommibee

Jun 3, 2013
Thanks Traveller!

Vampireinfo, I need your help... :( please please.... :( CWM does not seem to work and I can' find it in the back up I did. Is there any update zip that has the launcher so it can overwrite what I did that you can share with me? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MegaHertz

Dec 26, 2012
Just ran with a 7048 my sister got for her daughter (to replace her 7036 she dropped/cracked). Ran the exact same update zip i did on my 7036 over 6 months ago and worked perfectly. Thanks again vampireinfo!

mklaers26

Jun 22, 2013
i tried this on my coby mid7047 and i recieved an error message stating signature not varied, installation failed. any suggestions?

mailman98ps

Jun 30, 2013
Do not post problems in this thread that has nothing to due with my root and gapps!!! It is very rude to do so, This thread is only about my root and gapps process.

I put together an easy root and gapps zip for these tablets. tested and confirmed working on 8048, tested confirmed by myself. As always you assume all risks with flashing anything.

This will be flashed via stock recovery

These tablets do indeed have fastboot, just like all other telechips tablets.

ok to root and install gapps, which is playstore.

download root_gapps_signed.zip

place on you sdcard I used internal sdcard at this time I don't have a spare micro sdcard.

rename to update.zip

Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now

after update complete

reboot system now

To unroot

download unroot_telechips_signed.zip

place on you sdcard I used internal sdcard at this time I don't have a spare micro sdcard.

rename to update.zip

Settings >Backup & reset > Factory data reset > Reset tablet > Erase everything

after reset complete, tablet will reboot itself

Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now

after update complete, tablet will reboot itself

you will now be unrooted with no gapps,

Your tablet is now factory, IE stock, provided you made no other changes to your tablet beyond this thread.

I keep trying to install the update to my mid8048 and it aborts saying that there is no signature confirmation

Can you help me please

jedeloach

Jul 15, 2013
i recently rooted and installed gapps through one of your threads and i have everything up and working except the sd card. it keeps saying sd is mounted but when i go to an app depending on the sd card it states : no external storage available or please insert an sd card before using whatever app.. ive tried re flashing and unrooting and even formating nand and sd and attempting to mount sd manually. nothing works is there any thing you suggest i do? NOTE: the sd card still doesn't work as it should when i unroot.

maukabud

Jul 15, 2013
Hello if anyone's left alive 'round here...newbishly hit a wall and could use what's probably an easy point in right direction:

New Coby mid7047...NOT 7048 etc. Confirmed telechips.

Downloaded compressed zip file via first with native tablet browser, then tried WIN explorer with same results. Renamed to Update.zip as per instructions and did not unzip, fine. Windows shows a drive E as internal and drive F as my external 4G SD card. But Fastboot is seeing my external SD as drive E however and only sees update file if installed on my ext SD card. Tried moving it to internal, no joy, does not see it. Unmounted ext SD and learned this model only updates from external SD.

FASTBOOT entry via volume hold down on with power up key.

Menu options are:

reboot system now
apply update from /sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from /nand

option two causes the external card to be accessed, sees the "Update.zip" file right under "../" sequence upon execute is:

--Install /sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Note drive E. I've tried factory wiping option first, keeping wifi enabled. I know the answer is staring me right in the face- it's not seeing the file string/drive letter properly methinks. I've tried moving the file to internal sd, no joy, fastboot doesn't see the file. So close.....

My code digging days ended with WIN 98...just couldn't stand the three day migraines anymore. :D

What to do....

~Bud, puzzled Bud

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The "signature verification failed" error occurs on a stock recovery when the update.zip file doesn't have a Coby signature included, or has a signature the recovery doesn't recognize. But, we need a few more details, such as exactly what you were attempting to do, and the steps you took that led you to this point.

maukabud

Jul 15, 2013
The "signature verification failed" error occurs on a stock recovery when the update.zip file doesn't have a Coby signature included, or has a signature the recovery doesn't recognize. But, we need a few more details, such as exactly what you were attempting to do, and the steps you took that led you to this point.

Thanks for the reply! Intent is to update with the zip file as intended, to obtain Google play.

I downloaded the zip file to my external SD card, keeping it zipped and all files intact/unchanged. Renamed "Update.zip" and placed successfully- the updater sees the file. Windows sees my internal as drive E, external as drive F.

Tried moving the zip file to internal drive and unmounting external SD, recovery only boots from external SD apparently. Got "no card mounted" message.

Wonder if I need to wipe/reformat the external SD card first, only have the zip file on it? Might be some wonky files from my phone laying around..

Thanks for advice... :)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
i recently rooted and installed gapps through one of your threads and i have everything up and working except the sd card. it keeps saying sd is mounted but when i go to an app depending on the sd card it states : no external storage available or please insert an sd card before using whatever app.. ive tried re flashing and unrooting and even formating nand and sd and attempting to mount sd manually. nothing works is there any thing you suggest i do? NOTE: the sd card still doesn't work as it should when i unroot.

These tablets can't take any modification to vold.fstab file, people keep try to mess with the storage and the tablet breaks, I don't have these tablets, so can't investigate where the problem is. Any modification to storage, trying to move apps to micro sdcard or any similar modification, breaks the tablets storage.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply! Intent is to update with the zip file as intended, to obtain Google play.

I downloaded the zip file to my external SD card, keeping it zipped and all files intact/unchanged. Renamed "Update.zip" and placed successfully- the updater sees the file. Windows sees my internal as drive E, external as drive F.

Tried moving the zip file to internal drive and unmounting external SD, recovery only boots from external SD apparently. Got "no card mounted" message.

Wonder if I need to wipe/reformat the external SD card first, only have the zip file on it? Might be some wonky files from my phone laying around..

Thanks for advice... :)

I don't know anything about the windows part, but one the update.zip shouldn't be capitalized as that would require a different signature it needs to be update.zip not Update.zip.

Place update.zip either on your internal or external sdcard heck put it on both that way can't be missed, then reboot into recovery and apply, might have a bad download so you might want to download again. make sure the micro sdcard has formatted recently.

If all that fails then your recovery requires a different signature and you cant use this method.