Rooting Coby 9742 Issues

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I'm thinking maybe of trying the Mobiz V2 for 9742 by Vampirefo, kind of worried about that because of all the warnings. I don't get why the google apps package isn't working.. Some people have had some success with the other one so I figure it might be worth a try?

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
That didn't work at all, just got a black screen after the coby. restored and I'll await further advice.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You have to remove some apps from /system/app before the Play Store will properly install because Coby included more apps on your 9742 than what I got on mine. In simpler language, until you clear about 15MB of space in /system/app you won't be able to install the Play Store. Search my posts. I have one that lists the apps that could be removed to give you the needed space.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
O.k. not sure how to do this.. When I go to the apps on the tablet, all I can do is disable them, uninstall isn't available?

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
It's for sure the space issue, I have tried to go into the android terminal and remove some of the apps, but they say it's a read only system..

Attachments

• $space.jpg
    $space.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 329

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You need to enable root for ES File Manager. Then you go into /system/app using ES File Manager and physically remove the app, either by moving or deleting it, to uninstall it.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
O.k. I see ES file explorer, but I'm not sure how to enable root for it? I am no pro at this, although I've been around computers for years. Thanks for your help so far, I feel like I am very close to having it done..

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
got enough files deleted to free up 22.3 MB, ran the Google Apps package, now as I was putting in the info, I'm getting the error : unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
got through the setup, error keeps coming up, google play is there and works, just keep getting the error every few min.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You need to clear the data from the Play Store and the Google Services Framework. That should fix any lingering force close issues you may be having.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I removed some more system apps before you replied, it seemed to help. then I cleared the data for google play and google services framework, it made the play store unstabe. so I restored back to when it first worked, deleted a couple system apps again and it seems to be a lot better. Wish I knew exactly what I can and can't remove. I'm going to try and leave it as is for now and see if it has any issues. Thank you for all your help, couldn't have done it without you!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I ended up deleting the apps Coby added, though I had fewer apps than you did. Almost all of them are in the Play Store so it made sense. But like I mentioned earlier, I have a list of apps that I removed like the email and exchange apps, as I don't use the tablet in a corporate environment.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
just one more question, i cant seem to get kindle for android to work. everything goes well until i try and open the book, then it just closes. i've read some things about needing a flash player, tried a couple with no success and can't find anything with searching google or here? any suggestions?