To Root or Not to Root?

mwhartman

Jan 28, 2011
Yes it does help, Matt. I need to do some additional reading and get comfortable with a new process. Thankfully, I found this Forum and members like you who are willing to assist and share their experiences.

I'll keep in touch.

Mike

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
A couple questions...

So when I registered my nook with B&N when I first got it I used a yahoo email address. That email is linked to google, like if I go to google accounts I can log in with the yahoo email address. Will that work? Or does it have to actually be a gmail address? If so, how do I fix this.

Another question, my nook is not rooted, that's actually on tonights to-do list ;) but I noticed earlier today that when I go to forums on my Nookcolor I can't reply to some things. The keyboard pops up automatically if I tap on a small textbox, but if I tap on a large box like this reply one I'm doing right now, the keyboard doesn't pop up automatically, is there a way to make it come up or is something messed up?

I just updated my new NC from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and I'm going to root it in a little bit.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ashley, if you're using the autonooter than I'm 99% sure you'll need a gmail address. It's pretty easy to fix...just head over to B&N's website on your PC, log in to your account, and under "Account Settings" you can update your email with a new address.

Next, to be on the safe side, you'll need to go to the system menu on the Nook, and de-register it from B&N. NOTE that this will return it to the original factory settings. (Nothing on your sdcard will be lost, and any books/magazines you downloaded from B&N will download again when you re-register.) Restart the Nook, and this time use the gmail address to register it at B&N. Then apply the 1.0.1 update (yep, again!). Then follow the instructions for the autonooter, and when that's done and you reboot, use the same address (again!!!) when the Android system asks you to add/sign in to a Google account. Sounds a bit tedious, but after you do it 3-4 times it gets easy! :)

Don't hesitate to post a question if something comes up!

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

OK, I'm trying to install the win32diskimager on my laptop and when I run the .exe I get an error message saying it can't start due to a missing mingwm10.dll

Anyone see this or have any pointers?

thanks
roger

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Roger, good news: Win32DiskImager is a stand-alone (doesn't install). Just unzip it with all its accompanying files in the same directory and it will have the dll's it needs!

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Darn , I swear I'm not this dumb. I downloaded the zipfile from nookdev but it had only the .exe and no supporting files, and I'm sure that's my problem. I surfed around and found first one dll, which I dropped into both windows/system and windows/system32 (not being sure which was the required directory) and then when I ran again, got a message about another missing dll, which I then repeated the above on (QTcore4.dll or some such). Ran again (attempted to) but then it choked on some missing source file that QT... tried to invoke.
Can anyone point idiot me to the right source for win32diskimager with the full support file complement.
In the meantime, I'm downloading the zips for either 1.00 or 1.01 depending on what my nook turns out to be. Soon as I have the imager and both those zips, I'm think I'm ready for BestBuy to go buy the nook.

Any pointers appreciated.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
I also see that I'm going to need to jump through a couple extra hoops to set up for my google-apps account, which I want to be my primary, but since that doesn't end in the expected @gmail.com suffix (points to my company's domain, of course) then some more edits are needed there. I fear this is not turning out to be so easy.
I think much of the ease depends on what was already installed on your win or lin box, and what form of google you're already tied to. Mine seems less than straight forward.

Glad for any help in my adventure here from those who know m ore than me.

thanks
roger

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Roger, you can grab Win32DiskImager from: http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.1/0.1/+download/win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip (website: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Win32DiskImager).

If you haven't checked out nookDevs, I super-strongly recommend you head to: Portal:NookColor - nookDevs. It's been my primary resource for all things Nook, though it may lag by a few days or a week if you follow what's happening on XDA. By the way, the rooting page is: NookColor Rooting - nookDevs.

In my experience, the process goes quickly and smoothly if you start with a gmail address (check out the fine print on the nookDev rooting page, and you'll see it's an unfortunate hack to get Market working). My first time, I went slloooooowwwwwwly, step by step and it probably took an hour. After rooting, I got hung up on getting ADB (Android Debug Bridge) working on my PC, or more specifically, getting ADB to see my Nook when I plugged it in. But that step is totally optional. If you just do the autonooter, you can easily download new apps which opens up most of the window for you.

Let me stress: if you have the gmail address issue sorted out, it should take 5-10 minutes to do. I have the same problem as you: I use my university/work address for all personal correspondence, but it's a "crippled" version of Google Apps (ours lacks much of the functionality). So I begrudgingly used a new gmail account. HOWEVER: once you get your Nook set up, YOU CAN add your work gmail account as a secondary, and at least use the Nook that way for gmail and calendar (though calendar is not really working atm). The market will still rely on the primary address, that is, the one you used to register the Nook.

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK I think I found the right package. Whole thing is in this zipfile, and it fired right up, so I don't know what I managed to click on to get the exe-only version initially. I note that there are 0.1 (r15) and 0.2 (r23) flavors of the imager. Does it matter.

I just added youtube to my old personal gmail account, so I'm covered now. It's just that my phone will end up having my biz-google-apps email as my primary, and my personal gmail as my secondary, whereas the nook will be the converse. Other than no doubt causing my aging brain to need to "go back and type the other one" often on both devices, I guess it's no big deal. I've already seen some references to editing the proper lines in some .db and .xml files, so I may ultimately have options there too. We'll see. Whew.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
And yes, I've been over on nookdevs. It's just taking a bit of time to get the lay of the land and to figure out which tips and procedures on which android sites or which nook forums are the most current, and co-applicable.
If one starts reading a sticky'd thread that's been there a while, they learn that that first half is obsolete and 'there's a better way now" but it's hard to figure out what the best (authoritative, comprehensive, and CURRENT) is. XDA guys may be a bit too cutting edge and tech savvy for this kid. Probably nookdev is right.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Darn , I swear I'm not this dumb. I downloaded the zipfile from nookdev but it had only the .exe and no supporting files, and I'm sure that's my problem. I surfed around and found first one dll, which I dropped into both windows/system and windows/system32 (not being sure which was the required directory) and then when I ran again, got a message about another missing dll, which I then repeated the above on (QTcore4.dll or some such). Ran again (attempted to) but then it choked on some missing source file that QT... tried to invoke.
Can anyone point idiot me to the right source for win32diskimager with the full support file complement.
In the meantime, I'm downloading the zips for either 1.00 or 1.01 depending on what my nook turns out to be. Soon as I have the imager and both those zips, I'm think I'm ready for BestBuy to go buy the nook.

Any pointers appreciated.

You could try downloading diskimager again... http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.2/0.2/+download/win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32.zip Here is the link I used...

I just downloaded it a second time, opened the zip and all the dll's were there....you don't need to copy them anywhere, just extract all the files to a folder and then run the .exe from that folder.

EDIT:

All right, I guess I need to refresh my page more often if I am going to comment on something...great job as always Matt!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You could try downloading diskimager again... http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.2/0.2/+download/win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32.zip Here is the link I used...

I just downloaded it a second time, opened the zip and all the dll's were there....you don't need to copy them anywhere, just extract all the files to a folder and then run the .exe from that folder.

EDIT:

All right, I guess I need to refresh my page more often if I am going to comment on something...great job as always Matt!
Imitation is the SINCEREST form of flattery! LOL :)

Actually, you know what? And I'm only half-joking here: we have a few younger forum members who are answering questions (I don't mean you, you're a seasoned veteran!). I swear it feels like the wild, wild west, and people are vying to be the quickest gun! I'll have to hang up my six-shooter any day now, and get out of the way of the faster kids! :p

-Matt

mwhartman

Jan 28, 2011
Imitation is the SINCEREST form of flattery! LOL :)

Actually, you know what? And I'm only half-joking here: we have a few younger forum members who are answering questions (I don't mean you, you're a seasoned veteran!). I swear it feels like the wild, wild west, and people are vying to be the quickest gun! I'll have to hang up my six-shooter any day now, and get out of the way of the faster kids! :p

-Matt

I hear you, Matt! I have the sense that some are more concerned with their post count and not the quality of their reply, especially on some of the other forums that I regularly participate in.

Mike

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I just added youtube to my old personal gmail account, so I'm covered now. It's just that my phone will end up having my biz-google-apps email as my primary, and my personal gmail as my secondary, whereas the nook will be the converse. Other than no doubt causing my aging brain to need to "go back and type the other one" often on both devices, I guess it's no big deal. I've already seen some references to editing the proper lines in some .db and .xml files, so I may ultimately have options there too. We'll see. Whew.
Roger, you piqued my interest. Can I ask you to elaborate, in case I'm doing things in a sub-optimal way and can makes things smoother with my phone and the Nook?

(1) Not sure what adding youtube does...can you explain how that changes things?

EDIT: (another thick-skull moment for me?) I think you're assuming that adding youtube is required to get the youtube app to work on the Nook? It may be, but I suspect it's not the case. I think one simple gmail account should do the trick.

(2) My wife and I have several accounts on the Nook now since registering. I think the only thing that makes "primary" special is that it can't be removed (did you find the how-to on modifying the account db files?...I'm assuming that adding/removing/modifying is for secondaries only). Otherwise, on a day-to-day basis they feel equivalent.

Sorry if my skull is rather thick! Maybe another way of saying it is: I have a gmail account that I almost never use...that's the one I picked to set up the Nook. That gained me entry into the Google Experience apps on the Nook (gmail, calendar, Maps, Market, etc., oh and Picasa too) but I don't actually ever use that account itself. It just unlocked the apps on the Nook, and since rooting I've all but ignored it. If that makes sense, then I'm assuming your phone and Nook should behave very similarly.

-Matt

Last edited:

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks to you all. I now have separate folders with working r15 AND r22/r23 (the folder calls it one number and the readme file the other) imagers, and I have the autorooter zips for 1.00 and 1.01 and an SD-to-micro-SD adapter, and an SD-to-USB adapter all in the laptop, plus a bunch of bookmarks and links. I think I'm ready to head to best buy with all of that and my whopping $25 of coupons.

And Matt, that's normal on a board/forum. I've been moderating a fairly technical motorcycle forum for >11 years now, and I answer a LOT less stuff than I used to. New guys who've done it more recently and haven't already typed the same stuff dozens of times, often beat me to it -- and I'm glad for it. :)

I fully intend to buy this thing, go the the BN next door where they have a special Nook hour (usually a free book) at Noon today, and then sit in their internal starbucks, and jailbreak the thing before I even leave the BN.