To Root or Not to Root?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
One of the advantages of installing a launcher is that when you install an app, it shows up right away. For some reason, new apps don't show up in the stock B&N "extras" folder until after a reboot.

I like Zeam too. :)

First thing I like to do is check the Market and download a few free apps! Astro or Titanium Backup are good choices. Once you're feeling adventurous, you can give the AppBrain and Fast Web Installer a try (the latter allows you to install apps while you're browsing the AppBrain website).

-Matt

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Raven,
Well, any suggestions from here..I installed zeam from the market....How do I get all the cool desktop images/apps/clock/weather/shortcuts on my desktop..I know nothing about Android...this is fun...! but all new to me...
Rick

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Those are called widgets. The first step is to hit the market and find some. Go search for Fancy Widget. It's a weather/clock thing. Download it then go to your home screen. Find an empty spot on your screen and push. Hold it for a few seconds and you'll get a box that says "Add item" Hit that and then pick "widget". You'll find your Fancy app in there.

btw, this was all new to me as of last Friday.. Never touched an Adroid anything. Now, my NC is friggin awesome! hehhehe

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Markiej I tryed before to tap-hold and didn't work but after u told me I tryed again and it worked... it is all about how one taps I guess. Thanks a lot....my screen start looking good!

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Sorry Matt,I just learned about the thank you button that's why I didn't do it before
Gloria

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I tryed before to tap-hold and didn't work but after u told me I tryeld again and it worked... it is all about how one taps I guess. Thanks a lot....my screen start looking good!

The trick is that you've got to wait until the screen stops bouncing after you've swiped. You can also move it unless you press very firmly and do not move at all.. Once it starts moving, you have to do it over. Personally, I wish you could just double tap it instead. That way, there is no doubt about your intentions.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Gloria!!! Non essere buffa! (Probably used the wrong phrase!) Don't be silly. :) I just love to hear how excited you are about your Nook.

Oh, by the way, I wanted to suggest it isn't a "tap-hold", so much as a "long-press". I don't know if that makes it easier to do...

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The trick is that you've got to wait until the screen stops bouncing after you've swiped. You can also move it unless you press very firmly and do not move at all.. Once it starts moving, you have to do it over. Personally, I wish you could just double tap it instead. That way, there is no doubt about your intentions.
Exactly!

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Oh yes....I'm excited like a kid who got a present he didn't expect! I'm busy makingmy sceen beautyful and showing it off at all the wifi locations I use and making my friends who payed double x the galaxy, sooooo envious!
Now I'm going to look for Rick so I can presshis thank you button as well.
ciao Matt,a presto
gloria

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Oh yes....I'm excited like a kid who got a present he didn't expect! I'm busy making my screen beautyful and showing it off at all the wifi locations I use and making my friends who payed double x the galaxy, sooooo envious!
Now I'm going to look for Rick so I can press his thank you button as well.
ciao Matt,a presto
gloria

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Hi, I want to root my new Nook Color, but I don't really understand what I'm reading with the directions. I found this video, can anyone look at this and tell me if this is correct and an ok way to root my nook. It looks good to me, but I don't really know what all I'm looking at, but I trust you guys to know if this is missing anything important or not. I know I could follow a video directions better than written directions since I don't really understand all the jargon. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
That's the video I used, and it's almost perfect. He says to let it sit for 5 minutes and then power it up. Mine powered itself up after just a couple minutes. Kind of freaked me out, but I've read since than that this is a normal thing. He also doesn't tell you that Windows is going to start popping up driver warnings, which freaked me out. Just ignore and cancel them.

1 - Get the image
2 - Get the program
3 - Image the SD card
4 - Power off the Nook
5 - Insert the card
6 - Plug it up
7 - Wait a couple minutes
8 - Enjoy your new Android tablet

It's that easy.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Thank you!!! I will get a microSD card tomorrow and hopefully root my new nook. I've been playing with it for the last couple hours, even unrooted, this thing is soo cool. lol.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ashley,don't forget the things to do before rooting like opening a gmail account if you don’t have one and registering your nook under that account,, on B&Nsite. If you forget about this first step, after rooting you are not going to be able to download all the cool apps from google market . Good luck....u have a new world of possibilities ahead of you!
Gloria

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ashley,don't forget the things to do before rooting like opening a gmail account if you don’t have one and registering your nook under that account,, on B&Nsite. If you forget about this first step, after rooting you are not going to be able to download all the cool apps from google market . Good luck....u have a new world of possibilities ahead of you!
Gloria