To Root or Not to Root?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
For all those out there who wish we had our Gmail contacts (and who isn't one of those) another reason to root: The gmail app available for Froyo integrates your contacts "The dedicated Gmail application integrated with Contacts and Android applications."

I was on appbrain.com and was looking for something to handle my contacts and I selected the Gmail App (it shows up as installed), but when it opens, I see the message "Your device has Android 2.1. However this app is for Android version 2.2 and higher"

So there is hope yet that we can have integrated contacts in our gmail accounts (when the awesome developers get us to a stable version of 2.2)

Matt, glad you liked the info...it is always nice to know how our stuff works.

melarcher

Jan 30, 2011
Hey y'all,

Quick question. I am interested in auto-rooting my nook. When I click on device info, it tells me that my software version is 1.1.0. Which autorooter version is safe to use with this software version - 1.0.0 or 1.0.1? Or should I just wait until there is a 1.1.0 version?

Thanks!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey y'all,

Quick question. I am interested in auto-rooting my nook. When I click on device info, it tells me that my software version is 1.1.0. Which autorooter version is safe to use with this software version - 1.0.0 or 1.0.1? Or should I just wait until there is a 1.1.0 version?

Thanks!

Don't autoroot if you are already at 1.1...

If it were me, I would blow out the updates, manually load the 1.0.1 update, auto-root, then sideload the autorooted 1.1 update

There are a couple different discussions on this in the forums...if you have questions, feel free to ask.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Ok, thanks Matt. I did the gmail part and de and reregistered it, but was surprised that it held the 1.0.1 update. So i guess that's one step I don't have to do again.....

Ashley, if you're using the autonooter than I'm 99% sure you'll need a gmail address. It's pretty easy to fix...just head over to B&N's website on your PC, log in to your account, and under "Account Settings" you can update your email with a new address.

Next, to be on the safe side, you'll need to go to the system menu on the Nook, and de-register it from B&N. NOTE that this will return it to the original factory settings. (Nothing on your sdcard will be lost, and any books/magazines you downloaded from B&N will download again when you re-register.) Restart the Nook, and this time use the gmail address to register it at B&N. Then apply the 1.0.1 update (yep, again!). Then follow the instructions for the autonooter, and when that's done and you reboot, use the same address (again!!!) when the Android system asks you to add/sign in to a Google account. Sounds a bit tedious, but after you do it 3-4 times it gets easy! :)

Don't hesitate to post a question if something comes up!

-Matt

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Well I guess I'm stuck, I followed the directions in the video for autonooter, but I'm pretty sure my sd drive on my pc is crap. Come to find out my laptop doesn't have an SD drive that I can see, which I didn't know till I went to do it, lol. I figured all pc's had one. So I used my old desktop and all went fine, but my pc never recognized my SD card, I think the drive doesn't work. I've never used it before now and one of my toddlers probably tried to shove a sticker or something in there, they ruined a couple usb drives that way, so I have no doubt that's probably what's going on. I guess I'm going to have to try to do this on somebody else's computer. What a bummer!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, no worries! This is par for the course. I'd say getting the sdcard written correctly is probably the biggest challenge. I feel guilty, I have several external USB card readers sitting around...I should donate them to the forum! Hopefully you have a friend with a slot that doesn't have cheese or a goldfish cracker in it. ;)

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ashley, although it is.not recommend some people have had success using the micro sd on their phone or using an sd adapter and hookoling up a camera via usb. These at work do long as you can access the micro sd as a regular dri e once hooked to the pc.

Sent from my rooted Nook Color using Android Tablet Forum App

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Matt, you say that as a joke, but it's scary how true that really is at least in my world. I swear it's a good thing they're cute. Anything with slots or buttons, little boys will try to "fix" things and end up ruining them as quickly as you can blink.

J5150P- I have a samsung Impression, and I think I read somewhere on here that someone did it through this brand of phone, but can't remember where I read that, and I'm so not techy, I would need someone to walk me through and dumb it down pretty good for me. If you can point me in the direction of where to find instructions for that then I could give it a go. Maybe I'll do some digging for that, Thanks for the suggestion.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
hey I figured it out, and am now rooted by using my phone! Yippee. Thanks you guys. Ok, now I'm going to do the CWR

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Did you use your phone....or pick the crumbs out of the card reader? ;) Hey, I know EXACTLY what it's like...blow-out diapers, projectile vomiting...my daughter even had RSV when she was 3 months old. :( Thank goodness we're "two and done!" A third would kill me for sure.

That's great news about rooting. CWR already??? Wow, you waste no time.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
hey I figured it out, and am now rooted by using my phone! Yippee. Thanks you guys. Ok, now I'm going to do the CWR

Well Ashley, I was the one that used my Impression to do it...apparently, the Samsung Impression is 'hacker' friendly! LOL

I still wouldn't suggest that most people try using their phones, but chalk up another Imression rooter!

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Yes I used my phone! So you know where I'm coming from, lol. As for the CWR, I'm just going by what I read on the (How to) thread, do you have any other suggestions on where to go from here? I'm all ears. What do you suggest I download first? I tried to do awesome drop, and ES file explorer, just because I'm copycatting somebody on that other thread, but I'm not sure what I'm doing and they're taking forever, it just says starting download, and it's said that for quite a while, so I guess I messed it up or something.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Thanks Darmeen, for paving the way then, lol. Now to figure out what to do from here.

Matt- I figured I'd do the CWR so that it blocks the updates that would unroot me, isn't that right?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

Hmmm, this is all interesting. Note, fwiw, the gmail app on the Android 2.1 on my samsung phone IS Imap.
I just doublechecked, and sure enough, things I sent from my laptop and desktop (regardless of via outlook or firefox clients - I have both - or the browser-interface) properly show up in the sent log of all the others, including the phone. that's neither here nor there vis-a-vis rooting -- I'm just saying that google sync'd contacts and IMAP are totally possible in android 2.1, and not necessarily a 2.2/froyo thing.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Now, more problematically, for poor little me, I had just dutifully recorded my new Nook's version as 1.0.0, and before I could proceed, literally about 30 seconds later, it started an autoupdate. It jumped 1.0.1, which I already had an autorooter image stored for (on the pc, not yet on the sd card) and moved all the way to 1.1.0.

So, I guess I can force a return to factory defaults, but I couldn't quite find out how to disable the updates so it doesn't happen again. I'm sitting here at the BN now and would love to get this sussed. Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Sidebar, after I'm rooted, does it mean the autoupdates either 1) WON'T happen, or 2) MUSN'T happen (i.e. I need to keep it from happening) I did notice that the Browser added pinch-zoom on the 1.1 update. I'd hate to lose that, but if I must, I must.

Help!