To Root or Not to Root?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Now, in latest news, before I could do anything, as I sit here at the BN, having just dutifully noted and recorded the version number of my new nook as 1.0.0, it autoupdated straight to 1.1.0 (springing over 1.0.1) and now I seem to be hosed vias-a-vis autorooting.

So, I gather the procedure is something like
1) Erase/Deregister Device
2a) re-register
2b) quickly disable wireless
3) run the 1.0.0 autorooter procedure (which I assume is what my NC will revert to?)
4) fretting a bit, it seems I need the wireless disabled to prevent a repeat-update-to-1.1.0, but need it enabled to do part of the procedure.
5) Help/SOS
6) thanks!!!

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, so much for my little - root it before I even leave the BN adventure. This may take a while, and I have a feeling I'm going to be better off in the home-office where I can readily en/dis-able wifi and can keep a phone and laptop and nook all simultaneously charged. Signing out for a bit, but back from home soon, where I promise to start a search on 1.1.0 where I'll hopefully find out how this has been handled heretofore. TIA all.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hi all,

Hmmm, this is all interesting. Note, fwiw, the gmail app on the Android 2.1 on my samsung phone IS Imap.
I just doublechecked, and sure enough, things I sent from my laptop and desktop (regardless of via outlook or firefox clients - I have both - or the browser-interface) properly show up in the sent log of all the others, including the phone. that's neither here nor there vis-a-vis rooting -- I'm just saying that google sync'd contacts and IMAP are totally possible in android 2.1, and not necessarily a 2.2/froyo thing.

Imap has nothing to with contacts though...like pop, imap is an email only protocol and does not have anything to do with sharing contacts between clients. Like I said earlier, our app is like a simplified version of the Gmail website...which is obviously different than on other devices... and just because it works on 1 2.1 device does not mean it works on all 2.1 devices

Sent from my auto-nooted NOOK Color

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Oops. Fair point and quite true. I didn't mean to imply that contacts and imap were related, but only to say that standard android 2.1 official full google installations gmail is IMAP capable and that said standard official google setup includes a contact manager that syncs with one or more of your gmail contacts profiles (I have it working on one each business and personal gmail accounts on the cell currently)

Darn this 1.1 auto update is eating my lunch. I thought with and entire darn day devoted to this 30 minute process, I'd have a rooted nook by now ;)

So, I'm going to go read more on nookdevs now, but flashing forward (pardon the pun) is a rooted 1.1 achievable?
And if so, I gather you get there through rooted 1.00 or 1.0.1, rather than directly, since I haven't stumbled upon a 1.1.0 autorooter yet???

So much to learn...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Oops. Fair point and quite true. I didn't mean to imply that contacts and imap were related, but only to say that standard android 2.1 official full google installations gmail is IMAP capable and that said standard official google setup includes a contact manager that syncs with one or more of your gmail contacts profiles (I have it working on one each business and personal gmail accounts on the cell currently)

Darn this 1.1 auto update is eating my lunch. I thought with and entire darn day devoted to this 30 minute process, I'd have a rooted nook by now ;)

So, I'm going to go read more on nookdevs now, but flashing forward (pardon the pun) is a rooted 1.1 achievable?
And if so, I gather you get there through rooted 1.00 or 1.0.1, rather than directly, since I haven't stumbled upon a 1.1.0 autorooter yet???

So much to learn...

There is no direct auto root from 1.1 right now...so go back to default then turn off the wifi to side load the 1.0.1 update. Once you have that done you can auto root and move forward.

There is obviously something different with our gmail app and I am just hoping that when we can move to 2.2 or higher that our Gmail app will work better. All I do know is that the app on the market says you need 2.2 to get contacts

Sent from my auto-nooted NOOK Color

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, I might need a bit more of a pointer (and if at some point it seems I'm posting too much, I apologize - I don't want to break whatever the prevailing netiquette is here - so just tell me)

So, I went through 2part nookdevs procedure to restore the device to factory defaults, including the cumbersome 8-interrupted reboots, and THEN the nook's menu driven reset/deregister procedure (which apparently is not in and of itself sufficient, and which is also slightly tricky, in that you have to re-enable wireless to deregister, but then get it back off again before it accidentally/automatically starts the auto-update-to-1.1.0 again. I _think_ I'm there.

So, now I have 2 questions for testing my understanding overall, and some specific procedural, as follows:

So, it seems I can now, if I keep auto-updates at bay, go back to the full nookdevs autorooter procedure for 1.0.0. At that point, I'd hypothetically end up with a rooted version of the initial release.

It seems however, that if not a 1.1.0, then at least a rooted 1.0.1 would be more desireable, what with its various little fixed and updates etc. If that is true, then it is not clear to me how to get there.

Do I do a root of 1.0.0 first, and then that provides the prerequisites to "sideload" 1.0.1?

Or am I stuck with, best case, at least via autorooting, of a rooted 1.0.0

there are a lot of permutations here, and I'm trying to get a handle on them.

Thanks for indulging/helping me.

Roger

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
So, now I have 2 questions for testing my understanding overall, and some specific procedural, as follows:

So, it seems I can now, if I keep auto-updates at bay, go back to the full nookdevs autorooter procedure for 1.0.0. At that point, I'd hypothetically end up with a rooted version of the initial release.

It seems however, that if not a 1.1.0, then at least a rooted 1.0.1 would be more desireable, what with its various little fixed and updates etc. If that is true, then it is not clear to me how to get there.

Do I do a root of 1.0.0 first, and then that provides the prerequisites to "sideload" 1.0.1?

Or am I stuck with, best case, at least via autorooting, of a rooted 1.0.0

there are a lot of permutations here, and I'm trying to get a handle on them.

Thanks for indulging/helping me.

Roger
Roger, sorry I missed so much of the excitement. I was counting on getting email updates...but my inbox has been quiet. Hmmmm wonder why...

Anyway, in the interests of trying to answer your question, I'll tell you exactly how mine is set up:

(1) Started with 1.0.0 (including SEVERAL factory resets!)
(2) Registered with gmail address
(3) Sideloaded the 1.0.1 update
(4) Autonooted
(5) Installed ROM Manager, then flashed ClockworkMod Recovery (flash, in the computer sense, not the "indecent exposure" sense)

So far, I've seen neither hide nor hair of 1.1.0. My hope that 1.1.0 is blocked by CWM is based on the reasoning that when 1.1.0 came out about a week ago, several users with CWM were unable to install it manually (CWR blocked it). I think since then, some users with CWM (i.e., Rico?) have still had 1.1.0 automatically install. So my experience may not be a realistic path. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

I'm not sure why 1.1.0 seems to hop on your Nook so quickly...how annoying that you have to play the wifi on/off dance. I also don't want to string you along, but if someone hasn't posted an autonooter for 1.1.0 on xda yet, it may come soon.

Please don't hesitate to keep us posted. No such thing as too many questions!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Vic, I noticed that Rico used CWM to install a ROM with a rooted version of 1.1 (or at least, that's what I understood). Not sure where Roger is at in the rooting process, but if he managed to get up to a rooted 1.0.1 device, couldn't he turn wifi off, manually install the ROM Manager apk and then use CWM to update to the new ROM? Is that even in English, what I just said...???

-Matt

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks Vic, that's the piece I was missing. Now, I just have to get the factory reset done correctly.
I carefully followed the 2part procedure on nookdevs, and the first parts with all the interrupted boots went perfect. The 2nd half (the erase/deregister) seems to hang. Surely it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes? It's not like the device locks. It just seems not to complete the deregister. interestingly, inspecting the device parameters after the first half shows the device not knowing what serial number, or MAC address, or software version it is. After apparently getting through most of the deregister procedure, the nook has learned its serial and MAC, but for software version number, returns "Unavailable".

Since the procedure of course said it was very critical to do it all in the specific order, I'm very unsure of whether I should begin at the part-1 (8 interrupted boots) part, or if that could brick it, since at least part of part-2 (erase/deregister) has already occurred.

Right now, it appears deregister in no longer doing anything. Two signs that I'm not quite back to baseline yet:

1) that fact that the device can't report it's software number
2) If you shut if off and boot it back up, it initially, after the nook animation, goes into a flashing screen loop (saying "Initial loading from media provider failed. additional information: no such column thumbnail..." , which is fortunately interruptible via the softkey/quicknav-button.

It appears to be just some graphics that the launcher wants. Again, it's not a horrible endless loop, as I merely press the softkey (up arrow) and then quickly any other softbutton from the navbar (such as settings or extras) and everything seems alive and functional and normal-ISH. In fact, I can even see all the contacts which the nook downloaded via the "Social" settings from my google account. All that stuff is visible, and I can load books again.

So, I'm very clearly not getting a full reset. The part-1 PROGRAM/SYSTEM portions _appears_ to be complete, but the part-2 DATA section isn't completing (as evidenced by it never doing the auto reboot afterwards, AND, my contacts all still being there.

Whew!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Vic, I noticed that Rico used CWM to install a ROM with a rooted version of 1.1 (or at least, that's what I understood). Not sure where Roger is at in the rooting process, but if he managed to get up to a rooted 1.0.1 device, couldn't he turn wifi off, manually install the ROM Manager apk and then use CWM to update to the new ROM? Is that even in English, what I just said...???

-Matt

Made me laugh Matt!

Yes he could...he is still trying to get back to stock stock (how's that for an abuse of the English language?)

Roger, I hate to say this, but try the 8 failed boots again. Then, instead of doing the erase and deregister, try the following

Method 1: Hardware Key Combination
With the NOOKcolor powered off hold down the n button (home) and Power Button until the NOOKcolor powers on.
You will be prompted with a Factory Reset dialog.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
Press n button (home).
You will be prompted to confirm.
Press POWER key to Exit
Press HOME key to continue
Press n button (home).
A Clearing Data dialog will show. NOOKcolor will reboot automatically once complete.

We will get you there, just be patient.

and make sure your NC is juiced up...you may want to try all this while having it plugged into the wall...we don't want low power to brick it.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Vic, that's the piece I was missing. Now, I just have to get the factory reset done correctly.
I carefully followed the 2part procedure on nookdevs, and the first parts with all the interrupted boots went perfect. The 2nd half (the erase/deregister) seems to hang. Surely it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes? It's not like the device locks. It just seems not to complete the deregister. interestingly, inspecting the device parameters after the first half shows the device not knowing what serial number, or MAC address, or software version it is. After apparently getting through most of the deregister procedure, the nook has learned its serial and MAC, but for software version number, returns "Unavailable".

Since the procedure of course said it was very critical to do it all in the specific order, I'm very unsure of whether I should begin at the part-1 (8 interrupted boots) part, or if that could brick it, since at least part of part-2 (erase/deregister) has already occurred.

Right now, it appears deregister in no longer doing anything. Two signs that I'm not quite back to baseline yet:

1) that fact that the device can't report it's software number
2) If you shut if off and boot it back up, it initially, after the nook animation, goes into a flashing screen loop (saying "Initial loading from media provider failed. additional information: no such column thumbnail..." , which is fortunately interruptible via the softkey/quicknav-button.

It appears to be just some graphics that the launcher wants. Again, it's not a horrible endless loop, as I merely press the softkey (up arrow) and then quickly any other softbutton from the navbar (such as settings or extras) and everything seems alive and functional and normal-ISH. In fact, I can even see all the contacts which the nook downloaded via the "Social" settings from my google account. All that stuff is visible, and I can load books again.

So, I'm very clearly not getting a full reset. The part-1 PROGRAM/SYSTEM portions _appears_ to be complete, but the part-2 DATA section isn't completing (as evidenced by it never doing the auto reboot afterwards, AND, my contacts all still being there.

Whew!
Roger, this is uncharted territory for me, so I'll be careful not to prescribe a solution. But let me ask a silly question: sounds like you reset data from within the system menu setting? If so, have you tried the while-booting keypress method? I've done it both ways--but certainly had no trouble going the hardware key route.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Roger, this is uncharted territory for me, so I'll be careful not to prescribe a solution. But let me ask a silly question: sounds like you reset data from within the system menu setting? If so, have you tried the while-booting keypress method? I've done it both ways--but certainly had no trouble going the hardware key route.

-Matt

That is what I call 'like minds think great'...as I don't claim to have a great mind for 'great minds think alike'

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
AH VIC, you beat me this time! Well, the better man pulled the trigger first, that's for sure.

"Stock stock." LOL. :) Hey, if 6-year-old girls can say "I like you, but I don't like-like you" then stock-stock must be grammatically OK.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
We will get you there, just be patient.

and make sure your NC is juiced up...you may want to try all this while having it plugged into the wall...we don't want low power to brick it.
The SECOND most astute thing I've heard today. ;)

-Matt