To Root or Not to Root?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks guys, for being patient with me. We're all about on the same page. I was just about to walk off and grab some more power cords. Yes, I definitely did the 8-failed-boots bit, and only THEN the erase/deregister bit - I followed the nookdev thing very closely. As soon as I'm corded up, I'm going to start it again. more in a bit...

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, I have things charging a bit more, and now need to figure out what exactly the 'n' and 'home' keys are, in order that I be able to try the above alternate method for data erase.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
OK, I have things charging a bit more, and now need to figure out what exactly the 'n' and 'home' keys are, in order that I be able to try the above alternate method for data erase.

the 'n' key is the only hard button on the front of your NC...it is ALSO the home key.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
I did the 8-resets again, and just started data erase via the above method using the home keys.
Now I'm waiting while it reboots.
Holy crap, it looks like it worked.
I'm going to reregister and then quickly kill wireless, I think. ;)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I did the 8-resets again, and just started data erase via the above method using the home keys.
Now I'm waiting while it reboots.
Holy crap, it looks like it worked.
I'm going to reregister and then quickly kill wireless, I think. ;)

Glad to hear it...just take it one step at a time

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, that was damn nerve wracking, but I just got a full reset/erase of both program/system (using the 8 resets) and the data via the power/home/n keys method. No more boot loop, no more of my sync'd contacts (another topic), and the device correctly reports 1.0.0. After 6 tries, I was was getting paranoid. I seem to have gotten wireless shut off in time too. WHEW. OK, now I'm going to go re-read the part about loading 1.0.1 which in my by-now-blurry-head, is what I think I do next :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
OK, that was damn nerve wracking, but I just got a full reset/erase of both program/system (using the 8 resets) and the data via the power/home/n keys method. No more boot loop, no more of my sync'd contacts (another topic), and the device correctly reports 1.0.0. After 6 tries, I was was getting paranoid. I seem to have gotten wireless shut off in time too. WHEW. OK, now I'm going to go re-read the part about loading 1.0.1 which in my by-now-blurry-head, is what I think I do next :)

Now you did remember to re-register right?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, thanks. That's where I was really freaking, as I was trying to keep half my brain on doing that, and half remember how to zip through unfamiliar-to-me menus to quickly quash wireless. Made it. I'm downloading 1.0.1 on my other machine right now, so I can do that sideload routine.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Easy way to get to wireless. tap the time on the notification bar...it brings up a quick menu that allows you to shut off wifi there. (for future reference)

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks.
Darn it, would anyone mind checking that zip-file (for the 1.0.1 sideload) for validity? My laptop has twice (two separate downloads into 2 diff directories) declared it an invalid file, and now my desktop has done the same. I've never experienced that before on either system. Alternate sources for said file. I don't believe 2 different machines have botched it on my end.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks.
Darn it, would anyone mind checking that zip-file (for the 1.0.1 sideload) for validity? My laptop has twice (two separate downloads into 2 diff directories) declared it an invalid file, and now my desktop has done the same. I've never experienced that before on either system. Alternate sources for said file. I don't believe 2 different machines have botched it on my end.

You aren't trying to open that file on your comp are you? Save it to the root of your internal nook drive...Your Nook will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the update.

Do not turn off the nook, let it do its thing.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Ahhhhhhh. I finally got it open with 7zip, and as soon as I saw uboot.bin, I knew I was in the wrong OS, as that harked back to my (limited, and quite a while ago) linux days. I'll jet back to the laptop and nook and try it now. Just have to go get chrome to save it to other than the default. Are you saying the nook will recognize the entire zipped file folder, if it's just dropped in there?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Ahhhhhhh. I finally got it open with 7zip, and as soon as I saw uboot.bin, I knew I was in the wrong OS, as that harked back to my (limited, and quite a while ago) linux days. I'll jet back to the laptop and nook and try it now. Just have to go get chrome to save it to other than the default. Are you saying the nook will recognize the entire zipped file folder, if it's just dropped in there?

Yep....put the zip file in, and put it to sleep...don't put it on the SD card, put it in the root folder of the nook itself.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, done. Now, do I eject the Nook from the laptop at some point to kick it out of USB mode? Right now, it's just sitting there in USB mode. It's probably obvious if you know what you're doing, but I clearly don't. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, eject it from the PC and tap the power button to put it to sleep...it will take a few minutes, then the nook will reboot itself...after that you can check that you are on 1.0.1

I gotta hit the sack, but will be around tomorrow...if you aren't sure on something, make sure to post...

Good work today, you really had a trial by fire, but we are getting you out of it!