To Root or Not to Root?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Gloria, let me give it a try and without Google: Che bene che parli Italiano, anch'io capisco un po'. OK...I just composed that spontaneously, so I'm sure it sounds like a 4-year-old. :(

Anyway, I would suggest you go the autonooter route. Here it is in a nutshell...we can walk you through the details if you like:

(1) Make sure your Nook is updated to firmware version 1.0.1
(2) Download two files: the autonooter img (image) file, and a small utility that will put it on your micro sdcard
(3) Write the autonooter file to your card
(4) Boot the Nook (I mean start it, not kick it) with the sdcard inside
(5) You're done!

It's that easy. But there a number of follow-up steps, plus a few things that can start off easy but become complicated. For example, when you first registered your Nook, you needed to use an email address from Gmail. So if that isn't the case, you should probably reregister with B&N first. That step will allow you to run a number of google-related apps on the Nook, including the Android Market. Another advanced step you might consider (thought it's a bit more complicated) is to install a number of programs on your PC (the Android Software Development Kit and Android Debug Bridge) that will allow you to modify system files on the Nook, using your PC. That step is for people who want to do more involved things, like change keyboards, change the way wifi behaves, etc.

BUT I should stress, if you follow the steps I listed above, you'll be able to: not only easily download Android apps (e.g., other browsers, homescreen launchers, ereaders, etc.), but also get all the great Google Experience apps working like gmail, maps, Market, etc. (calendar and contacts are not quite there yet).

A GREAT place to start looking is Portal:NookColor - nookDevs and NookColor Rooting - nookDevs.

Let us know where you're headed!

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Rico,mi hai colpito nell'orgoglio! I don't know if it translate well but it is an Italian way to say that you hit me in my pride. I am at least as smart as a caveman and I know what an sd card is and I know I can ask questions to u or Matt or others,so I'm going to go through the instructions one more time beecause now I definately want to root on my own. Thank u for the push.....u created a monster!
Gloria

Awesome!

"You can do it!"

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
?Matt,your Italian was perfect,mine has to be since I was born and raised in Milano. I like to be writing so nobody can hear my accent. I got a gmailaccount and I'll change it on B&N and that's all I can do today....very busy with the rest of my life. But tomorow........
Gloria

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico,mi hai colpito nell'orgoglio! I don't know if it translate well but it is an Italian way to say that you hit me in my pride. I am at least as smart as a caveman and I know what an sd card is and I know I can ask questions to u or Matt or others,so I'm going to go through the instructions one more time beecause now I definately want to root on my own. Thank u for the push.....u created a monster!
Gloria

I didn't mean anything personal with my comments, the "caveman" comment is the catch phrase from Geico commercials. It was menat to be funny, but I see it didn't go over well. My only point was I'd hate to see anyone anywhere pay someone to root their Nookcolor. But I'm so glad this was the push you needed to do the root yourself. Please feel free to ask any and all question you may have on rooting. There are tons of help here and plenty of pics to help you on your way.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I change to Gmail, I got the OK E-mail from B&N I still have the old server under setting-abour your NC,...is it OK?
Gloria

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Are you registering your NC? If so, any email to register with B&N will do.
Remember, if she autonoots she'll need a gmail account to get all the google stuff (gmail, market, etc.) to work. It's a built in hack:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

You must have a Gmail/YouTube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process. If you don't have a Gmail account, go get one (http://mail.google.com/mail/signup). You need it for this process even if you never use it again in your life.
@Gloria, Milanese, eh? I didn't notice any accent from you at all! I spent a year in Rome...mi piace dire che parlo come un bimbo di quatro anni (and oh boy do I have to be careful when I pronounce "quatro anni"!).

I'm sorry I forgot to note: since your Nook was originally registered with a different email address (correct?), you'll have to go into the system menu, and de-register it ("Erase and Deregister Device"), which will return it to factory condition. But any books you downloaded will become available once you turn it back on and register it with the new email address.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Sorry Matt didn't know, never ran the auto-nooter. ...eh, with all these workarounds, I can't wait for a real full android rom.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sorry Matt didn't know, never ran the auto-nooter. ...eh, with all these workarounds, I can't wait for a real full android rom.
Yeah, it's a bit silly, huh? I have a bunch of gmail addresses and every time I root, I end up wondering, "OK which one did I use to register the Nook????!?!!"

By the way, I totally agree with you that it doesn't make sense to pay a guy (regardless of where he lives) to root the NC. But I couldn't tell when I brought it up if Gloria was joking about doing it or not!

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
And you were funny, Rico, and u made me laugh and feel comfortable enough to play with u a little
And if I was a little hesitant to root on my own ,u made me believe I can do it. And you are going to regret because I 'm going to stress everybody out with questions.I 'm preparing, got Gmail and registered with B&N,they confirmed.Next looking for the right friend with the right computer, mine has Ubuntu .Tomorrow I 'll get the right SD card and start checking the links Matt gave me .

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
i hope you dont mind me following along, or butting in. I am in the same boat, and dont have a clue as to what I am doing. after I download the autoroot file I am not sure how to unzip and do the other thing to put it on the sdmicro card.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
And you were funny, Rico, and u made me laugh and feel comfortable enough to play with u a little
And if I was a little hesitant to root on my own ,u made me believe I can do it. And you are going to regret because I 'm going to stress everybody out with questions.I 'm preparing, got Gmail and registered with B&N,they confirmed.Next looking for the right friend with the right computer, mine has Ubuntu .Tomorrow I 'll get the right SD card and start checking the links Matt gave me .

Not a problem, that's what this community is here for, to help each other out. Here is a short tutorial on rooting to help you both on your way (see link below). Skip down the "Now to re-root" section of the post. Again, any part of rooting you are not clear on, feel free to ask.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olor-software-update-1-0-1-a-2.html#post24111

important tip: get the right auto-nooter file for the b&n software version you are on, 1.0.0 or 1.0.1.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Not a problem, that's what this community is here for, to help each other out. Here is a short tutorial on rooting to help you both on your way (see link below). Skip down the "Now to re-root" section of the post. Again, any part of rooting you are not clear on, feel free to ask.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olor-software-update-1-0-1-a-2.html#post24111

important tip: get the right auto-nooter file for the b&n software version you are on, 1.0.0 or 1.0.1.

The one minor update I'd suggest--and Duke, this is where you're at--is instead of using Winimage--to use a little utility program called Win32DiskImager (download: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Win32DiskImager). I've found Win32DiskImager a lot easier to use and basically foolproof! :)

Duke, are you using a Windows PC? If so, you can open up the autonooter zip file, and just drag the auto-nooter-2.12.25.img file out, and put it on your desktop, or a folder with all your rooting files. Then using Win32DiskImager is easy:

(1) Put your micro sdcard in your computer (do you have an adapter or USB reader?)
(2) Start Win32DiskImager
(3) Click on the button with three dots (...) and navigate to auto-nooter-2.12.25.img, then select it
(4) Make sure under "Device" you've selected the drive with your micro sdcard (it may be the only choice)
(5) Press "Write" and a few seconds later it's done!

Don't forget rico2001 has posted several screenshots in his link above that will help you along. :)

-Matt

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Matt,I found a friend with window so i'll use the inf you gave to Duke. I'll deregister as soon as I get off and printing and elaborating all info with th apple in my brain in order to get ready. Can u please talk more about the steps that allow to manipulate the wifi, steps u mentioned in an earlier messaage.very interested if it is what I thi.nk it is!
ciao a presto,corro a deregister I'll mio nook....bravissimo...dove hai imparato a parlare cosi' bene la mia lingua?