Which tablet did you buy and why?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
My problem there is you are basically renting it, and at a max of 50% credit you are looking at nearly $50 a month to do so. When I think about it that means you are willing to spend $100 a month to insure you are always using the latest tech (probably more if you buy any peripherals which likely will not be compatible with the next greatest thing each six months) in tablets alone. Not outrageous by any means, but 25% of that 50% buyback was already spent on the buyback program itself.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
That is all true. Its not for everyone.. But I'll probably do it.. Cause that's how I roll. Not really any different than throwing a bunch of mods on my 05 GTO.. Cause when you sell it,you lose money.. It will be worth it for me.. Probably not for others.. I like to have the latest tech.. :)

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Plus I have a Boxer pup and if he gets his mouth on it some how,its over.. The warranty covers that for me also.. Take it to the store and boom,exchange :)

Mike02z

Jul 5, 2011
Plus I have a Boxer pup and if he gets his mouth on it some how,its over.. The warranty covers that for me also.. Take it to the store and boom,exchange :)

That's too funny! I now have a mental picture of a Boxer puppy walking around with a tablet in his mouth. Maybe you can make a commercial for Gorilla Glass "Stands up to whatever you throw at it" :)

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
True.. He's 16 months old and full grown at 81lbs,but he's all puppy.. Honestly don't think he would try.. But if he did... That glass would have NO shot! lol

fatherofnard

Aug 12, 2011
hey all,

I am looking for a andriod tablet in the market. Let me say I am looking to buy this weekend.. I am not a fan of waiting for quad core machines as I don't think it made to much of a difference in my Laptop world... not a gamer of course.

I want USB ports (maybe read an external hard drive?) and, full sd card support (mini or full sized), I have to much media I like to carry around with me. Bluetooth, GPS, HDMI ports, Flash is a must and google docs and amazon cloud support..

I would also like a decent attempt at looking at and possibly editing word documents, excel spreadsheets, power point, and PDF as I will use this in a working environment.

Don't get me wrong I am not looking for a complete replacement of my laptop but a close one.

I had been eyeballing the transformer or thrive but I can't get any real user feedback.

I want it to be able to keep up with any new updates coming out... I here netflix is trying to only release their app for newer andriod devices... not sure I am happy about that... I also hear rumors that hulu is doing the same and blocking rooted devices... I am the proud owner of a rooted HTC thunderbolt and I am a bit upset at hulu at the moment...

I am willing to root to get the most out of my new device... but I think it shoud perform pretty well out of the box first.

Any help is appreacited... I am willing to spend up to $599 and I ahve seen many folks with the overseas versions of laptops and they seem overly frustrating so not sure I am willing to deal with all of that...

thanks,
CSW

Last edited:

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Acer Iconia is probably your best bet.. Has all the connections you need. Lighter than the Thrive..

fatherofnard

Aug 12, 2011
do you know what the typical user gets out of the battery life? I will be traveling back and forth to the UK soon from Central Florida it is a 9.5 hour ride... I am looking for 6 to 8 hour battery life and then I can supplement with my laptop (battery life is a bit suckish)... 9.5 hours on an airplane with few entertainment options does not sound enjoyable...

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
@fatherofnard

I'd personally say definitely go with the Transformer. I have it myself, and it works wonderfully. I'm actually using the Keyboard Dock right now to type this message, and it works great too. You get a LOT for your money, compared to some other tablets. Compared to the Thrive, also, it is much thinner when undocked and still has the mini-HDMI port and a fully functional Micro SD slot.

With the dock, you get a full two USB ports, which, to the best of my knowledge, is the most of any major Android tablet. And the extra SD slot. All of these storage mediums work seamlessly; you can access them, copy, cut and paste files easily. With a media player like MoboPlayer, it's easy to access videos on them as well.

If you want specifics, the docking connection is extremely firm, and the screen is one of the best. Actually, the 3rd - next to the iPad and Galaxy Tab 10.1 according to DisplayMate. Screen glare is a little annoying, but its not a deal-breaker. I got 1 dead pixel, but it's unnoticeable for the most part. ASUS is the only one with a specific pixel-related replacement warrently, to the best of my knowledge - two next to each other, or 6 total.

The keyboard itself is pretty nice to type on, and although some people may find the keys too small - they are still pretty fair-sized and work well. No snapping, popping, or wiggling. The entire unit feels quite solid. The entire front face of the dock is aluminum, with a textured plasticized rear (including rubberized feet).

For the price, it's almost unbeatable. Especially with the dock - it gets the best battery life of any tablet with it. A full 16 hours. I do experience around that life in normal use. Without, it's still reasonable - around 9 hours. Overall, its a great buy in my opinion.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Forgot to mention (sorry for double post); the Transformer comes with a built-in office suit, called Polaris Office. It can create and edit .doc files, spreadsheets, and presentations.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Maybe you should have mentioned that the dock is another $150.. $399 for 16 gig version,$499 for 32 gig. I don't think he's looking for one with a dock,he already has a laptop. The Iconia has all the hookups you need..

fatherofnard

Aug 12, 2011
I did go to best buy last night and toyed around with the thrive and tried to get to the transformer... the iconia was broken according to the Guy "to many people touching it" he said which did not bode well to me as I have a 7 year old daughter and nieces and nephews who like to touch when no one is looking.
If the transformer is as you say does that mean it will completely replace my current laptop? That means I could sell it and get the thing for almost free...
I did find the transformer with keyboard, cover' and the 32 gb tablet all on new egg for 599 plus I have a 20% (up to $40) off my next purchase coupon and free shipping.

I am still going to my local staples today as they have the iconia out for people to try out...

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Android Tablet Forum

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Acer Iconia A500 Tablet

Planning to get an iPad2 but since the prices is so high, I've searched for a cheap and vary affordable but as better as an iPad2 that's why I chose the Acer Tablet.

Honeycomb 3.1 is very flexible, Screen aspect ratio good for watching 16:9 HD content better and wider tanh iPad2 and it's got better Camera than the the iPad.

Now, there are many applications available like Apple but feels a bit Bulky and heavier compared to iPad2, it's battery life not as long as iPad or Playbook but that's okay for me. The charger's cable cord even it's too short, I can use an extension cord.

And most of all, price is lowest than the iPad2. I have the $100 discounted from Staples so I purhcased the bag and a spare charger with a longer cord.

I'm thinking of using any of the ROM's when needed.

Xoom1

Jul 27, 2011
Don't count the iconia out.. its got pretty much everything you want.. As for replacing your laptop completely... If there are windows apps you need,you will be screwed.. You could try the transformer and get the dock.. I think those docks are hard to find tho.