Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
For anyone who has been to Best Buy today. Do they have a working demo on the floor??

Sent from my DROIDX

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
Great! Some of the reviews I read mentioned that the wifi wasn't real strong as they moved away from the router, do you experience that? How about the weight of it. Do you feel that will be an issue for you in certain situations?

Our office has WiFi pods everywhere, so won't be able to test this until tonight when I get home. I don't find the weight to be an issue at all.

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
Its not too heavy and really not that thick either. You look at the numbers for thickess and weight but IMO they all feel the same to me. now if it was an inch think and 15 lbs or something crazy i would be like whuuut.
Sorry to hear about the pre-orders delaying happiness.
I will update on my WIFI experience here in about 2.5 hours.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Our office has WiFi pods everywhere, so won't be able to test this until tonight when I get home. I don't find the weight to be an issue at all.

Ok. I'm not concerned about the weight either, just wondered what you thought about it.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
For anyone who has been to Best Buy today. Do they have a working demo on the floor??

Sent from my DROIDX

Yes, they do. Also, the Iconia looks MUCH better in person than in pictures. Its fit and finish (at least on the display model) were superb. I played with it for about an hour. It linked to my cellphone (wireless tether) in seconds and there was no turning back. The screen is GOOD; that's what I was worried about. It was next to the Xoom and for what I use them for, both screens were gorgeous. They don't have the Asus Transformer in store and don't know (this particular store) if they're even going to get any on this go round. They think it's strange (as do I) that they have no information on the Transformer the day before launch but the guy knows all about it (he wants one, himself.) I wanted to do a last minute comparison but honestly, I don't think I need to at all. For what I use it for, having the USB will be very useful. The driving game looks great and it was a good diversion. Connectivity seemed to be effortless - BT, too. I can't say enough good things about it. It does seem to be heavy (but BB has a metal plate affixed to it) and thicker than the Xoom, but the thickness is necessary for the USB port (which is probably why no one else has one...) It's a LOT less shiny than I expected (the aluminum), a very understated matte finish which makes it look more expensive than it is, in my opinion. I understand why a few of the early reviewers went crazy over this thing; if there weren't a slew of tablets coming out now, this device would have really made a mark, especially for the price - and it still might, since people are starting to take some of the adk's from it.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Its not too heavy and really not that thick either. You look at the numbers for thickess and weight but IMO they all feel the same to me. now if it was an inch think and 15 lbs or something crazy i would be like whuuut.
Sorry to hear about the pre-orders delaying happiness.
I will update on my WIFI experience here in about 2.5 hours.

I agree about what you said about the weight. My gaming laptop is almost 7 pounds and it very seldom moves from the table, so a 2 pound tablet would be light for me, and these are less than that. I'm looking on the bright side of the pre-order delay, I will just have a few more days of anticipated excitement before the truck pulls in the yard with my beauty. Yes, please update on your WIFI experience when you can. Thank you.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Ok. I'm not concerned about the weight either, just wondered what you thought about it.

I'm guessing that you're REALLY going to love this device. I know I will. Like someone else said, I'm very glad I waited. I'm also glad that I stopped comparing it to the Transformer. They both do the same thing but take slightly different routes to get "there". This route, with its flexible connectivity, works for me and it has everything I really use it for (having had a tablet prior to this.)

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Wow! Thanks for that review Raven! Lots of great stuff there! You really make me want mine more than ever now. LOL Too bad the Transformer wasn't there to compare. There is something strange about the release of that product. The lack of hype is very odd.

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
Wireless was pretty effortless. Couldn't wait to get home so i hooked up to the work network. 3 outta 4 bars and the wireless point is about 40 feet and in the ceiling. Just downloaded flash and registered it.

Man i think im gonna be busy tonight.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I'm guessing that you're REALLY going to love this device. I know I will. Like someone else said, I'm very glad I waited. I'm also glad that I stopped comparing it to the Transformer. They both do the same thing but take slightly different routes to get "there". This route, with its flexible connectivity, works for me and it has everything I really use it for (having had a tablet prior to this.)

Hey, that's good guessing there! I KNOW I'm really going to love it too. I'm on the same page as you are about it having everything you want in it. I'm thinking, after a few hundred times of docking and undocking the Transformer, that connection could very well fail at some point. I have a usb external keyboard I'm using with my zt-180 that I think will work just fine.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Wireless was pretty effortless. Couldn't wait to get home so i hooked up to the work network. 3 outta 4 bars and the wireless point is about 40 feet and in the ceiling. Just downloaded flash and registered it.

Man i think im gonna be busy tonight.

Super! The WIFI sounds great. Keep the updates coming! I would be interested to hear what you think about Flash.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Hey, that's good guessing there! I KNOW I'm really going to love it too. I'm on the same page as you are about it having everything you want in it. I'm thinking, after a few hundred times of docking and undocking the Transformer, that connection could very well fail at some point. I have a usb external keyboard I'm using with my zt-180 that I think will work just fine.

You know, I thought that too (about the dock...) Did you get your tracking number (even though UPS isn't showing anything yet?) I wouldn't be surprised if they come tomorrow, to tell the truth. Glad I have the day off, to wait... LOL

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
Speaking of keyboards... Its really easy to type error free most of the time which i seem to have issues with on the ipad. bigger buttons for my fat fingers maybe.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011

I only sampled flash, of course, but Yahoo's home page and AOL's home page (which are HEAVY with flash) didn't skip a beat. In fact, I didn't even think about it, I just branched off of those pages and read sports and business (both of which, now that I think of it, are heavy with flash also...)

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
You know, I thought that too (about the dock...) Did you get your tracking number (even though UPS isn't showing anything yet?) I wouldn't be surprised if they come tomorrow, to tell the truth. Glad I have the day off, to wait... LOL

WaHooo! My order was still pending this morning, but I just now got an email telling me it shipped, and a tracking number!! I don't think it will be here tomorrow, but I know it's on the way! Hope you get yours soon.