Acer's A100 and A500 tablets getting Ice Cream Sandwich on April 27th -Engadget

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Agreed. It's extremely cool that Acer has supported the A500 as much as it has and makes me want to stay with them.

The new tablets look fantastic. I can easily see an upgrade next year if not sooner.

Yes, we are on the same page here. All-in-all, I think Acer has done a great job with their tablets. Sure, I would love it if they brought out the major updates a little faster, but I understand why they don't or unable to. I'm thinking ICS might be the last big update for the A500. Their new tablets sound great, but I'm sure I will be doing a whole lot of research on several of the new ones before buying my next one, but Acer will probably be on my short list though. My top line is always "bang for the buck" if ya know what I mean.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I imagine it will hit Austalia the same time it hits EU. IF they recieved the distribution version and prepped it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If history is any guide, it will hit Australia before Europe or the USA. US may be as much as 3 or 4 weeks behind those pesky Aussies.
I blame Douvie.
:p

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
the folder orginizer sounds. Other then that will we lose anything saved on the tab?
Also i am looking for an app that i read about but forgot it's name.. Was something like android doctor or close to that. Anyone know much about it?

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I've had folder organizer on the tab sine I first got it. It's been a feature of Go launcher EX for a logn time. As well as fast move, delete, copy, ect of shortcuts and in the apps button you get a tab for runnign apps to quick close them, recent used, and all apps.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
the folder orginizer sounds. Other then that will we lose anything saved on the tab?...

I found an awesome backup for all my Angry Birds games! :D

In all seriousness if you have data that you value on your tab you should back it up before an update simply on general principles.

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
I'm personally not real concerned about that because by the time the next major Android update is ready, more powerful tablets with more internal memory will probably be out and I will get one when the prices come down a little. Until then, I will be more than satisfied and happy with my A500 with ICS. In fact, I'm very satisfied and happy with it now without ICS. ;)
You've taken the words right out of my mouth, frapshake!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I found an awesome backup for all my Angry Birds games! :D

In all seriousness if you have data that you value on your tab you should back it up before an update simply on general principles.

I agree Strider, backing up is a very smart thing to do before ICS comes, just in case. Spider posted a really good free app for backing up your stuff. I tried it and it works great. You can back up to internal memory, external sd, Dropbox, Google Docs, or any other online storage you have. The name is SanDisk Memory Zone. Here's Spider's post if you want to read more about it:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...te-android-backup-app-you-will-ever-need.html

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I agree Strider, backing up is a very smart thing to do before ICS comes, just in case. Spider posted a really good free app for backing up your stuff. I tried it and it works great. You can back up to internal memory, external sd, Dropbox, Google Docs, or any other online storage you have. The name is SanDisk Memory Zone. Here's Spider's post if you want to read more about it:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...te-android-backup-app-you-will-ever-need.html

Very cool, thank you!!

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
Hi, i downloaded the scandisk memory zone and backed up my tab but today was showing my wife i did the same for her and when i opened the backup all the folders show empty. However whrn you look at the back up disk image it shows space has been used, was only like 180mb. So is it the fact that because it's a backup file, it doesen't really show the files saved? Or is it a micro card defect?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi, i downloaded the scandisk memory zone and backed up my tab but today was showing my wife i did the same for her and when i opened the backup all the folders show empty. However whrn you look at the back up disk image it shows space has been used, was only like 180mb. So is it the fact that because it's a backup file, it doesen't really show the files saved? Or is it a micro card defect?
Prbably hidden file or folder and only allows the retrieval app to read file. You don't have any root access on an unrooted tablet.

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
I just downloaded the memory zone. I was surprised that one of my couldn't use my Sandisk 16gb flash drive as a place to store my backup, but, no matter, there was plenty of room on my 32gb sd card. I am so glad I learned about this application. Thanks, guys!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011

I just checked my backup on my external sd and I can see all backed up files. They're not hidden files. When I click on the memoryzone folder, I see 3 items. A apk folder, a files folder, and a single file called backup.metadata. Last night I was able to copy a game apk to share with someone, but I haven't tried it on their tablet yet to see if it works. It sounds to me like something might have gone wrong with your wife's backup. I would suggest trying it again and if the same thing happens, try another micro card, or Dropbox or usb flashdrive.

Douvie...no root needed and you can read the files with any file app.