ADB for G Tab Step-by-Step

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Iammuze over at xda-developers has put together a really nice, straightforward instruction set on getting ADB properly setup for the G-Tab.

Here it is:

1. open your device manager (right click My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager)

if you haven't done anything to set up drivers yet, skip to step 4.

2. find your gtab. depending on your previous attempts, this may be under "Android Phone" at the top (Android ADB Interface, make sure it's your tab and not your phone), or under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" on the bottom (called Android somethingorother. should be at the top of the list.)

3. uninstall it. right click, uninstall. check the box that asks you if you want to delete driver software. i didn't need to use usbdeview to uninstall, but if you're running into issues on this step try it. search download.com for it.

4. unplug, and plug your tablet back in. now your device should be under "Other Devices" near the middle (will have a yellow exclamation icon, called NVIDIA harmony). good.

5. hopefully you have the android sdk installed. if you don't, go find a generic guide on setting up adb and then come back.

6. open the "usb_driver" folder in your sdk directory. right click "android_winusb.inf" and open it with notepad or your favorite text editor.

7. under the "[Google.NTx86]" section, paste the following:

Code:
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
save the file and exit.

8. go back into device manager. right click your tablet, select update driver, and click "browse my computer...", then "let me pick...", then "next", then "have disk"

9. browse to your android sdk, under the usb_driver folder, and select the "android_winusb.inf" file.

10. of the three choices, the bottom should say "Android Composite ADB Interface". choose it. click next, and allow the driver to install even though you get a big scary red warning.

11. open a command prompt, preferably in the tools directory of your sdk. type the following:

Code:
echo 0x955 > "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
and hit enter. it will just return a new prompt line.

12. test it out.

Code:
adb kill-server
adb devices
you should see your device's serial number. all is well. congrats.

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
Ok - read this, WHAT is ADB? Why would I want it?

Maybe you can assist me with connecting my gTab to the computer. When I first attached to the micro USB - the driver showed 4 Drivers...

USB Composite Device - Ready to use (green check)

USB Mass Storage Device - Ready to use (green check)

NVIDIA Harmony - NO DRIVER FOUND (red X)

NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device - Ready to use (green check)

So the NO Driver Found ofr NVIDIA Harmony - do I need this? Where can I get it if it is needed...

Thanks

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a versatile tool lets you manage the state of an emulator instance or Android-powered device. It is a client-server program that includes three components:

• A client, which runs on your development machine. You can invoke a client from a shell by issuing an adb command. Other Android tools such as the ADT plugin and DDMS also create adb clients.
  • A server, which runs as a background process on your development machine. The server manages communication between the client and the adb daemon running on an emulator or device.
  • A daemon, which runs as a background process on each emulator or device instance.

As to why you would want it: if you plan to build apps then this is something you would need to use an actual tablet to test your apps on before you start giving it to everyone. The URL above has the entire page and explanation.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Intro: I guess I'd put myself one notch above a regular novice user--but several notches below someone like a dev--in that I'm the kind of guy who reads the how-to's carefully, twice, and then does the tweaking (without melting down when it doesn't work the first time!). Things have gone well for me so far with a Droid and Nook Color.

The point: In both cases I've found ADB to a super helpful tool. Let me provide the "for dummies" description (dwcunpluged's answer was beautiful, but probably pitched a bit high): think of ADB as a way to connect to your phone with your PC, and then send it system-level commands. By system-level, I mean things like (1) moving, deleting, or renaming files, (2) changing system settings, (3) installing apps, etc. In many cases, there are two ways "to skin the cat": either accomplish the task from your PC with ADB, or (assuming your device is rooted) use Android apps like Terminal Emulator and Root Explorer to accomplish the same things directly on the device.

The fine print: I prefer using ADB with a USB connection, but it can be tricky to get your device correctly set up in Windows Device Manager so that ADB sees it. An alternative is to use a wireless app that runs on the device directly, and allows you to connect to ADB through wifi. Another important concern is "why are you changing system files and settings, anyway?" For me, the problem pops up first (e.g., install a non-system keyboard, add a notification sound) and then ADB (or Root Explorer) is the tool to solve the problem. It's probably not a good idea to use ADB just to explore your device, unless you're comfortable with the system.

A final, dummy-level comment: dwcunpluged mentioned DDMS which is a neat little "application" (batch file) that comes with the Android Software Development Kit (SDK). Running it offers all kinds of information about how the device is functioning, and includes a cool tool for viewing your display and capturing a screen shot. Very handy utility. :)

-Matt

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Gadgetrants, thank you for clarifying. I actually just copied and pasted exactly what was on the android developer page. But I like your explanation much better.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Gentlemen,
I am searching for a way to install Clemsyn's latest kernel without using ClockWorkMod. Hearing elsewhere that the paid Rom Manger would do it. It was not the case. Would adb is the tool ? or is there another easier method ?
Thanks

pdxalz

Apr 8, 2011
I was unable to get the step by step procedure to work for my g-tablet. The only device the device manager showed from the g-tab was under "disk drives". No Android phone.
After much searching I found the solution to my problem was an app called usbdeview. It showed my tablet as unknown (couldn't find anything in device manager). After uninstalling it and reinserting the USB plug, I found Android ADB Interface under Android Phone. ADB works great now.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I was unable to get the step by step procedure to work for my g-tablet. The only device the device manager showed from the g-tab was under "disk drives". No Android phone.
After much searching I found the solution to my problem was an app called usbdeview. It showed my tablet as unknown (couldn't find anything in device manager). After uninstalling it and reinserting the USB plug, I found Android ADB Interface under Android Phone. ADB works great now.
It's magical, isn't it? I resisted for hours, thinking "I'm smart enough to do this myself. I figured it out on the Droid and the Nook...I can do this."

But I finally relented and it took...like 15 seconds with USBDeview. :p Stupid male pride.

-Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Is this thread "STICKY" material? - I hate sticking my own posts, i never know if people are really going to read them!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Stick it...

So I got everything installed and the commands run fine but... When I try to see my device via the "adb devices" command it says:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

Nothing shows up...

Thoughts?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Stick it...

So I got everything installed and the commands run fine but... When I try to see my device via the "adb devices" command it says:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

Nothing shows up...

Thoughts?
Here are two things to check:

(1) Remember to go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and check the "USB Debugging" option on

(2) Also, (if Windows) check that you have "Android Phone" showing up in your Device Manager, and "Android Composite ADB Interface" listed under it.

$Clipboard02.jpg

If you don't see the "Composite Interface" line, you should run USBDeview, completely delete the drivers for the gTab (I think it's the one that shows up under "Tegra") and reinstall the USB driver that was added to the Android SDK folder. Sorry if this is a repeat link:

[STICKY][GUIDE] adb for your gtab (windows) - xda-developers

-Matt

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ya mine is in the Android Phone category already. I reinstalled the driver and I'll reboot in the morning. See if that fixes it.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ya mine is in the Android Phone category already. I reinstalled the driver and I'll reboot in the morning. See if that fixes it.
Yeah, I kind of worried my advice would be less than useful. I hope you get it working!

-Matt

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ok after reinstalling the driver 3 times it now works. :D Not sure why it took that many times for the driver to take.